Page 5 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Mel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2005, 4:21 pm

I agree- people don't seem to understand a strong dislike to using the phone, people seem to think its a little amusing, yet they don't see anything wrong with having a fear of spiders or heights.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2005, 12:50 am

I don't mind landline phones at all, but I have slight bitterness toward cell phones. A land phone leads to place: it sits quietly on your desk/table/wall. If you're not home, any phone calls coming throught it don't bother you, and you're home free (pardon the pun). A call phone leads to *you* personally. It follows you around everywhere you go. If you turn it off, you miss a phone call, and people start questioning you. I truly feel sorry for on-call workers with a cell phone, which ties them to the company like an electronic leash.

erato
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Mar 2005, 10:54 am

I really, really don't like phones. I answer them all day for my job but once I'm done I usually don't feel like talking to people.

This is a slight problem as the only way to reach me is through my cell phone (I don't use the phone often enough to justify a landline). My mom will call me and then get frustrated that my phone isn't on. But it's because I hate the sound of it ringing. I truly do. I can call people back but I hate answering the phone.

jman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2005, 12:14 pm

Quote:
I truly feel sorry for on-call workers with a cell phone, which ties them to the company like an electronic leash.
Quote:

On my old Job I was an on call person. They would call me during class, or call me in for shifts at the very last minute. :x I left that company about a month ago and I'm glad I did. Otherwise i never use my cell phones for anything other than emergancies, backup, or when i really need to get a hold of someone urgently. I also hate it when people try to call me when Im driving. Then they get mad that I didn't answer the phone. :x

I also depise answering the home phone because the most of the time its not for me or I do not feel like talking to them. Another thing that urks most of the time, the phone calls are for my sister and she won't answer, the ring is very annoying, so I have to run across the house for her lazy ass and get it. :!:

I don't mind calling people if I specific objective in mind. I rarely call people just to make talk. (Unless its a girl I like)

Justin

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2005, 9:09 am

I know nobody has viewed this thread in a long time, but I just thought I would bump it up. I have a story for you all.

I platonically love my high school junior prom date. She has been unbelievably sweet to me for all of three years. We have kept in touch fairly often until now.

I called her family four times because I miss them a lot. I will never forget how nice my date has been to me. I am almost sure that she would give me anything I wanted if it were possible. Her family has not been home in a matter of weeks. This is a terrible omen, and it is a shame that things have to come around like that.

My mother called me on the phone yesterday to check on me, and I told her I was extremely overwhelmed. I am not having a very good weekend. For one thing, my mother told me never to call my prom date again. Also, to take my mind off of all this, she told me that my grandmother's birthday is today. I called her a day early because I wanted to show her my maturity and that I remembered her birthday. I did call her, and she was very happy to hear from me.

Then, I called someone who graduated with my prom date, and neither she or her mother were home. I left a message, and just after I had identified myself, the tape ran out. I then left them another message, told them that their machine was fast. Then, I talked more and realized that there was tape in their answering machine. I got what I wanted to say out. I don't know why their machine would beep without warning. However, then I realized that I didn't give them my phone number so that they could return my call. I wrote them my phone number a number of months ago, but they seem to have forgotten. Now, I regret that I didn't give them my phone number.

Who knows? Maybe you all might inspire me to post a poll in the near future. This is because I am close to the people I called in many different ways.

I just thought I would let you all know that I am having more phone anxiety.

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2005, 9:48 am

Phone should be a 4 letter word...

Fone - there, now it is.

I'm the Rhymin' Red Rover, and that's where I'll be.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2005, 9:57 am

I don't get that.

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2005, 10:03 am

It was satire.

4 letter word = things like cuss words, often indicated in such a manner as: @#$!

Phone = something that I dislike so much that it should be labeled as a cuss word.

Fone = 4 letter derivitave of Phone.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2005, 10:14 am

In other words, that's a nice way of saying that you don't like to use the phone.

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2005, 10:16 am

Exactly.

Edit: More accurately, I just don't like phones, or using them.

Kerrigan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Aug 2005, 11:29 am

I am always scared to death when the phone suddenly starts to ring.
I have destroyed many phones because of that..
I hate talking in it too.

thatrsdude
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2005, 11:31 am

My problem with phones is that they always ring at the most inconvenient times. :x

earthmonkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Aug 2005, 12:05 pm

During the whole summer, I've only called my friends a couple of times, and school resumes in less than a month. Oh, well, at least I've told them that phones scare me.

--G. K. Chesterton, The Aristocrat

yealc
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2005, 12:08 pm

I hate to call companies or other people (unless they are really close to me). However, I do carry a cell phone and use it often. It allows me to have the freedom to work from different locations and to not have to stay in the office. It is also my lifeline to the two people that walk me through things I don't understand. They are great when I get into a store or someplace (because I insisted I could handle it) and I have to call for help. I really don't know what I would do without the phone. I have the rings customized for various people so I can tell who is calling. I am not as sensitive to noise as some other people, smells are my nemisis.

"I never could get the hang of Thursdays"

M
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Aug 2005, 5:20 pm

I am not particularly keen on phones too. When I was working it was probably the one thing I feared the most, having to answer the phone.

When the phone rings at home I do not answer it unless I recognize the caller's number.

Michael.

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2005, 6:30 pm

To me, the telephone is more like a medievel instrument of torture. Having a simple conversation leaves me grappling on what words to use and how long I should keep talking until I can politely end a conversation, even if the other person wants to go on and on about nothing. Up until I got internet access, I had a billing plan with a low fee for up to 30 calls per month which I rarely exceeded. Unless it's family, friends, the President, or someone calling me in for a job interview, I don't answer the phone and let my answering machine screen my calls. In fact, my ringer is turned off because even the sound of the phone ringing jars my nerves and feels like I'm being intruded on.

The most ironic thing about my adversion to telephone conversation, however, is that I've worked in three call-centers as a customer service rep. Except for the last one, I inexplicably managed to maintain myself for eight hours a day without going into complete overload.