Page 4 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Would you support an autistic town or city?
Yes, and I'd move there 24%  24%  [ 19 ]
Yes, but I wouldn't move there because I don't have the means 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, but I wouldn't move there for some other reason 10%  10%  [ 8 ]
Yes, and I'd become very involved in it 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
I'd have to see the specifics of the city 15%  15%  [ 12 ]
I'd have to see who's running it 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I'd have to think about it 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
I'd have to see if it's working out 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
No 30%  30%  [ 24 ]
Obligatory other option 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 79

Nerdykid
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jan 2011, 5:57 pm

MrLoony wrote:
Nerdykid wrote:
If you changed autistic to african american in your original post does it help you understand why this is a bad idea?? Seperation is never the answer.

Autistics should never be allowed to be a majority?

Not the rest of the f*****g world needs to shut up and start be excepting of people for who they are. It is our fault because of the way we are not because other people have no understanding or consideration for other people. A group of people, any but especially people who are possible at disabled level of mental anguish should not have to seperate themselves from the rest of the world because everyone else is a f*****g biget.

Nosirrom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 6:02 pm

We shouldn't have to.

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 6:09 pm

Delirium: If some of the issues have been worked out, I'd like to read up on those. What specifically should I search for?

Nerdykid: Again, we're not completely seperating ourselves. That seems to be something that people are misunderstanding. This isn't saying all autistics should live in the town, or even that the town should be made up entirely of autistics. The point is merely that, with autistics as the majority, we wouldn't have many of the issues we do when surrounded by neurotypicals. (Edit: That way, people would begin to see autism as less of a disability and more as something that could be used to the advantage of society)

Nerdykid
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jan 2011, 6:10 pm

That is my point

Serigation took years to turn around for african american people, why would you want to self serigate. We are not the ones with the problem, other people are just over sensitive. You act kind of childish so I can act or talk down to you. I am stronger then you or whatever. Ithink it is a better idea to use your down as a prison where you lock people up who think it is okat to insult or take advantage of people over things they cannot control.

Nosirrom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 6:13 pm

So we should all spread out and make it easier for people to pick on us?

edit:
honestly think really hard about the differences between what blacks had to deal with and what we are currently dealing with. They are very different.

Last edited by Nosirrom on 30 Jan 2011, 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nerdykid
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jan 2011, 6:14 pm

MrLoony wrote:
Delirium: If some of the issues have been worked out, I'd like to read up on those. What specifically should I search for?

Nerdykid: Again, we're not completely seperating ourselves. That seems to be something that people are misunderstanding. This isn't saying all autistics should live in the town, or even that the town should be made up entirely of autistics. The point is merely that, with autistics as the majority, we wouldn't have many of the issues we do when surrounded by neurotypicals. (Edit: That way, people would begin to see autism as less of a disability and more as something that could be used to the advantage of society)

I understand that. Your intentions are good. I am just saying when you pull back the layers you are setting up to seperate more not moving towards people having better understanding in general so you don't have to live in a special town. Every town should be special for everyone.

Nosirrom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 6:18 pm

What people don't understand is that we interact differently. If they see a positive model of our style of interaction then possibly they may understand.

Drapetomaniac
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Jan 2011, 6:39 pm

MrLoony wrote:
Nerdykid: Again, we're not completely seperating ourselves. That seems to be something that people are misunderstanding. This isn't saying all autistics should live in the town, or even that the town should be made up entirely of autistics. The point is merely that, with autistics as the majority, we wouldn't have many of the issues we do when surrounded by neurotypicals.

Dear MrLoony :D you have to take in to account that certain people here are extremely literal.

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 6:52 pm

I pointed out in my original post that the town wouldn't be entirely autistic.

Drapetomaniac

30 Jan 2011, 7:10 pm

MrLoony wrote:
I pointed out in my original post that the town wouldn't be entirely autistic.

I said "extreamly literal". 20 decimal places minimum. You would need to detail everything before they get happy.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 7:17 pm

I think, after some consideration, I vote no. The reason is that an autism centric city would automatically partition the population into autistics and everyone else. Even if not codified in rules, laws and policies, autistics would be a favored class. We already know how favored status hurts autistics vis-a-vis the favored status of being NT in our present culture. I would find it difficult to inflict on others that which has caused me pain.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 7:22 pm

Can't write a long message b/c typing with 3 fingers, but yes, I would probably live there and get involved in it, too.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 7:25 pm

Nerdykid wrote:
That is my point

Serigation took years to turn around for african american people, why would you want to self serigate. We are not the ones with the problem, other people are just over sensitive. You act kind of childish so I can act or talk down to you. I am stronger then you or whatever. Ithink it is a better idea to use your down as a prison where you lock people up who think it is okat to insult or take advantage of people over things they cannot control.

Do you like to be alone? Do you like time to relax by yourself in your own room?

Would you like someone to lock you in a cell and then leave?

Are your answers to those questions different?

Essentially, with blacks, people forced them to stay out of places, and made them stay in places that were inferior to the places to which whites had access. They weren't allowed to go where whites could. That was a prison.

What's being proposed here is that we create someplace that that is NOT inferior, someplace where we are not required to go or stay. This is intended as a refuge.

The difference between a sanctuary and a prison is which side of the door the lock is on. Think about that.

NOT A DOCTOR

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 7:35 pm

MrLoony wrote:

People would still have disagreements, we'd still have crimes, etc.

TTRSage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jan 2011, 8:41 pm

Sounds like an excellent idea, but right now I'd settle for just having an autistic friend... or any sincere friend for that matter.

On the flip side, such an idea reeks of the same kind of self-imposed segregation and high brow snootiness that makes such things as recognition, prestige and exclusionary pride so obnoxious to the Aspie way of thought. Lessons from the past show that the likes of Adolf Hitler liked to set himself aside, hoist his nose in the air and look down upon others as inferior to himself. And "pride" such as this IS one of the seven deadly sins.

A better idea might be to have non-exclusionary community centers where autistics could gather to get to know each other and socialize under mellower and gentler conditions than what the community at large has to offer.

Nosirrom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2011, 8:43 pm

^^^ You have the same goal as this city. Just with a different way of getting to the goal.