An easy way to withstand others energy. Anyone interested?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Babs01
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Mar 2011, 1:49 pm

I have just been diagnosed as being autistic. This was a grand relief for me since it answered all my questions in regard to why I am the way I am.

Through my years (I'm 43), I have discovered two things that work really well for me, providing I do it prior to my over reacting to others energy/presence. I tend to stop thinking and get all mixed up in the head if I don't do two things. I was wondering if it would work on anyone else?

Anyone interested in giving it a try and then letting me know if it works for them?

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 2:13 pm

You haven't mentioned what it is?

ZeroGravitas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Mar 2011, 2:16 pm

^^^ Despite posting about it two times with similar suspensefulness.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt156929.html - How to annoy me

Babs01

28 Mar 2011, 2:30 pm

I'm not used to people wanted to hear me.

I have learned to ask if people are interested before continuing. This way I don't talk too long.

Ok, it's simple. But it works. Maybe you already do it and this will be redundant. Spelling and grammar is definitely not by strong suit. I lack interest in it, but I try.

First, only ever look at a person's right eye. Never the left until you know for sure you can look at their right eye first. The reason of this is that our brains receive information through the right eye and send out information through the left. This means, that at that pin point location on a person they are not 'sending' out information. It's neutral. Therefore no energy surge from the person. Only the eye works. Not the nose or forehead. They all express energy leaving the person. For me, as I'm hypersensitive to people in general, it is very important.

Secondly, by placing the tips of you thumb and middle finger (I think, it's the one beside your pointer finger) together this closes the loop of energy within. It's like a barrier between me and anyone I'm talking to. It works really well when I want to talk to someone and get out what I want to say before getting too distracted.

I was just wondering if it works for other people too.

gadge
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 2:55 pm

I've found that looking right thru them and using just the middle finger gets my point across

another_1
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 3:09 pm

Babs01 wrote:
I'm not used to people wanted to hear me.

I have learned to ask if people are interested before continuing. This way I don't talk too long.

Welcome to the Planet! Feel free to expound at will, and at length. If a post is too long, or doesn't hold someone's interest, that person can easily skip tyour post. I think most of use have run into problems like you describe, so we're a pretty forgiving bunch.

Babs01 wrote:
I was just wondering if it works for other people too.

I must confess that I am unlikely to try this. To me, it seems that any benefit you derive is psychological - a placebo, so to speak. I do not think that I would see any benefit, and that mindset makes it very unlikely that it would give any benefit.

This is not intended to discourage you, however. So long as what works for you doesn't require a major disruption (say, stripping naked, doing the chicken dance, then slapping a random passer-bye 4 times before speaking. 8O :lol: ), do what works for you..

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 3:14 pm

Sounds interesting. Asking if people are interested before continuing is a good idea in face-to-face interactions and on the phone or when using IM, but in forum posts it should be dropped.

Those are interesting. I might try them.

NOT A DOCTOR

Babs01

28 Mar 2011, 3:29 pm

I would be interested to see the results especially if you are a skeptic. That would make it more real. I suggest using both left and right hands for the thumb/middle finger. Or perhaps all. Try it when you just can't bare to be around someone, but wish to stand your ground. I find it possible to keep my head on and not turn into something worthy of just walking away to calm down. Nothing can be lost :)

ZeroGravitas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Mar 2011, 3:41 pm

The hand gesture sounds like a mudra, a kind of a yoga pose for the hands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mudra

The specific gesture you are using is called the Aakaash Mudra.

While I don't think it has anything to do with "energy," in principle it should provide a calming influence in the same way a yoga pose would, or many other forms of stimming.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt156929.html - How to annoy me

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 3:42 pm

another_1 wrote:
So long as what works for you doesn't require a major disruption (say, stripping naked, doing the chicken dance, then slapping a random passer-bye 4 times before speaking. 8O :lol: ), do what works for you..

You mean this is wrong? :oops: I guess I'll try Babs' solution then. :lol:

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 4:32 pm

right eye connects to left brain, the "logical" side
left eye connects to right brain, the "creative" side

So it kind of makes sense that people may be taking in more of the environment with their right eye, just collects facts, whereas the left eye has a "creative agenda" and... I don't know.

another_1
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 4:35 pm

Zen wrote:
another_1 wrote:
So long as what works for you doesn't require a major disruption (say, stripping naked, doing the chicken dance, then slapping a random passer-bye 4 times before speaking. 8O :lol: ), do what works for you..

Well, there seem to be advantages and disadvantages to this approach.

The downside is that it doesn't seem to improve your listeners' retention of what you said.

On the plus side, however - you know how so many Aspies complain that they are ignored in social situations? No longer a problem! 8)

YMMV! :wink:

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 6:59 pm

ZeroGravitas wrote:
While I don't think it has anything to do with "energy," in principle it should provide a calming influence in the same way a yoga pose would, or many other forms of stimming.

I agree that it sounds like a form of stimming. I know that recently I was in my psychiatrist's office and I had the urge to start crying, which happens to me when someone is concerned about how I am doing and asks me about it, and I found that playing with the zipper on my coat, just moving it back and forth a few inches, allowed me to stop myself from crying.

Babs01

29 Mar 2011, 10:28 am

I thought yoga was completely about energy and how it flows within?

j0sh
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 3:58 pm

another_1 wrote:
Zen wrote:
another_1 wrote:

Well, there seem to be advantages and disadvantages to this approach.

The downside is that it doesn't seem to improve your listeners' retention of what you said.

On the plus side, however - you know how so many Aspies complain that they are ignored in social situations? No longer a problem! 8)

YMMV! :wink:

I just tried it at work. HR wants to talk to me in a few minutes. I think they probably want me to share this new skill with other employees! :-D

Poke
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 4:07 pm

If all else fails, put down the bong.