Can teachers who have AS teach children on the ASD?

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 9:49 am

Use it to your advantage - you may have a better understanding of an Autistic student than what an NT does.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2012, 10:40 am

I volunteer with disabled kids, and my autism has definitely helped a lot whenever I work with an autistic kid. I seem to read these kids more intuitively than most people - I sometimes think it's more of a 'different language' than an impairment.

I've had no trouble with telling others in my volunteer program. The volunteer coordinators I've had all seem to think it's more of an advantage than a disadvantage.

LeeTimmer
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Dec 2012, 4:29 pm

I have AS, and my eight-year-old nephew was recently diagnosed with it. My nephew is blessed in many ways because he has an uncle who knows exactly what he's going through (how I wish I could say that when I was younger). I "get" him, and he knows it. I'm the only adult male outside his immediate family that he'll open up to and share things with; he seems to open up to his NT female teacher somewhat. Point is, I believe AS teachers can teach kids with AS, but trust is the main issue, in my opinion. To this day, I still don't completely trust my doctor because, although his knowledge of AS is current, he doesn't live with it. Does that make sense?

LD92
Raven
Raven

17 Dec 2012, 3:01 pm

Thank you everyone who has replied!

It is very comforting to know that all of you think that it would be an advantage rather than a disadvantage. From reading all of your replies, it has enabled me to think about it and I too agree with your ideas :).

I'm still not sure about getting a diagnosis, however I feel a lot more comfortable going into a school, knowing that I will be a good influence on children on the ASD rather than a hinderance. I always knew that I "got"/"clicked" with them, however I didn't know if I would be good for them or if I did get a diagnosis, people wouldn't let me work with them.

Thanks again!

kt24
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Dec 2012, 12:40 pm

I have AS and I'm a primary school teacher.
Didn't know about it when I got current job, but have been honest since initial "diagnosis" by GP with people at work.
Told I'm the best teacher in my school at the moment, and people come to me with problems with teaching, especially Maths (known as Maths Genius!). Pretty much all of the adults at work know about it, especially now I have an Autism support worker every week for a couple of hours funded by Access to Work. Has really helped me even though only recent development. Also, with other staff knowing it has helped them to work out how to deal with me properly when I do strange things!
There's nothing to stop you being a teacher: if you can teach then that is all that matters- I have colleagues at my school with MS and deafness, and they can still teach and do a fantastic job. There's no reason why someone with an ASD can't be a teacher.

I've been advised that if applying for a job, you probably shouldn't disclose as even though we have the Equality Act protecing us in the UK, there's still a lot of prejudice.

Regarding teaching children with AS, I have no problem with it and can deal with the children's issues with more understanding than any of the other teachers, and can also articulate to other members of staff the difficulties of the child when they can't themselves.

restlesspirit
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Dec 2012, 8:26 pm

I have AS, just recently self diagnosed.. and ive worked with special needs children for 20 years.> YES u can teach with AS but,,, and this is a huge but,,,,the district politics and site politics will be the issue,< NOT the kids and if u happen to get a couple of administrators that tis little game is important to them, they can break you. Its not the kids,, kids love me,, I now work as a sub Teacher aide taking special needs classes.. as a sub no one expects me to join in to the social scene,, something to think about,, the worst part of teaching is not the kids,, its the administrators u have to deal with.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 8:33 pm

InThisTogether wrote:
There are psychologists and social workers with AS who have AS patients. .

The Australian Psychology Association is currently exploring whether to make registration of practicing pschologists more stringent. One of the proposed criteria is to introduce a form of self-assessment that includes divulging if you have a criminal record or diagnosed mental illness when applying for registration.

This would imply revealing you have been diagnosed with Aspergers may possibly result in your application being rejected/reviewed or if you are currently practicing de-registered.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2012, 8:41 pm

I would have loved to have had a teacher who understood me. Only once did this come close to happening, & that was a Vietnam vet who was my PE coach during High School. This was just after my family broke up, so his support & giving me the distance I needed back then was greatly appreciated.
At risk of sounding like a TV comercial: Just Do It! :)

Sincerely,
Matthew

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2012, 1:53 am

Sure of course.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.