Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 3:13 am

My parents were crazy and didnt allow me to make friends
They were cynical and kept saying stay away from this one and stay away from that one
Finally i became withdrawn and recluse
I dont have friends as on todays date.

And people who show interest in me are either there to cheat me or misguide me.

There was a male colleague at work who would call up often
But his intentions were not good.
He wanted me to join some college etc and he would get me admission
and earn commission
And sometimes he would ask me to buy some land from him which had no clear
titles or documentation

I eventually started avoiding him since i knew he was trying to fool me.

Another colleague now is in soup and about to loose her job
she is trying to butter me up so as to keep her job safe since i am her senior partner there.

My college friend as problems in life and she found new friends so she moved on and there is no contact now

There is no point in racking the brain so as to find social support.

I did attend meetup to find friends but i was quite and shy and was teased throughout
didnt work out for me.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 3:34 am

A handful, but they are good, and I wouldn´t want more.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 4:23 am

Zero right now. Like MrMajorMajor, I have a couple of acquaintances I get along fine with, but I kind of consciously keep them at a certasin distance. Over the past two years I've grown increasingly solitary, and I'm honestly enjoying spending time alone a lot more than spending time with other people.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 7:19 am

I have 3 friends at the moment, I guess.

nanner
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Mar 2013, 8:38 am

i have a good friend I've known since high school. She went into working with adults and children with Autism. We live in different states now but talk on the phone. I don't talk to acquaintances on the phone. I made a friend last year but I don't pursue social situations, prefer one-on-ones and don't use the phone so :( I don't see her often. (living her real life, busy with real friends, job, etc.) I've never been able to maintain more 1 friendship at a time anyway. Oh, I do have another friend from college that lives in another state that I never see and we don't talk on the phone either lol This doesn't sound good huh? But we message on FB sometimes. I have a spouse and that's plenty for me!

BTW i wouldn't even notice that I don't have friends and don't have any need for socializing if DH didn't occasionally make me aware of it through his own desire to get out more.

Do you get a People Hangover? if i get together with people I feel like it zaps my energy for the next few days. i enjoy an empty house and when i used to work and back when i was in college I preferred to have lunch alone. i think it recharged me a bit for the rest of my day.

NT score 53 out of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

JellyCat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Mar 2013, 8:43 am

I have about 10-13 (what I define as friend regularly changes) actual friends.

I have about 5-6 'fake' friends who I used to be friends with, but then they stopped wanting to be my friend but continued to pretend to like me, thinking that I'm gullible enough to believe them. I just play along with it for reasons I wont bore you with.

I have about 1-7 close ones depending on your definition of what is close.

I used to have a lot more, but yeah, many of them stopped wanting to be my friend, and I wanted to stop being their friend.

Camo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Mar 2013, 12:45 pm

I have 2 true friends, they are persistant so we are still friends, I sometimes find they want too much from me, I never contact them, i am happy with no friends..
I seem to be a nice guy though as lots of people want to be my friend but I tend to block them or never take them up on their offers of going out for a drink etc.. they give up in the end.
I was very social in my teens and early 20's had a big circle of friends, I just don't seem to need friendship and don't miss it.

Stu

Dizzee
Toucan
Toucan

16 Mar 2013, 12:51 pm

No.

Panddora
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Mar 2013, 1:07 pm

I have no friends. However I work and am married and have grown up children and grandchildren so I do see people. I am semi retired though and when I was not working life was not good. I do not know why I cannot sustain friendships. If I do not chase up people I know we just lose touch but people do not chase me up if that makes sense! I dread the time when I no longer work.

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 1:23 pm

I have 3 best friends that I have had for many years since I was young. It was 4 but she got busy in her life and we lived a long way after I moved and we drifted apart. Other people told me that she was the kind of person that used people anyway and she was a social climber. Once she had climbed the ladder a bit, some people were beneath her social level.

I have a few general friends that I really enjoy too, they are not best friends but I like them a lot and I suppose they are good friends.

I feel fortunate and I appreciate my friends :D

cjthemadscientist
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Mar 2013, 5:53 pm

The only "real" friend I have is my fiance, who I have been close to for 5 years.

I've had friends throughout my life but never manage to keep them for more than a year. At the moment, besides my man, I have maybe 3 aquaintences and that is it.

gratin
Raven
Raven

16 Mar 2013, 8:28 pm

I don't have any friends. I have a few acquaintances and I find spending time with them difficult. They try to become friends but I can't and I think they assume I'm spending all my time with one of my other acquaintances. They don't know each other.

dottsie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Mar 2013, 9:06 pm

i've got friends, but only a few i consider myself really close to.
socializing doesn't bother me as much as some aspies(it still does some though), i'm just pretty bad at it. luckily, i've found people in real life who accept me for that

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 11:01 pm

About 4 or 5 IRL, 2 from WP.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 11:41 pm

Panddora wrote:
If I do not chase up people I know we just lose touch but people do not chase me up....

I've wondered about this myself. Over the years, I've had several friends who really seemed sincere, but we rarely did things together other than hang out at their house (I'm not comfortable having visitors at my house...I feel like my space is being invaded). I would invite them them to various events -- ballgames, museum exhibit openings, film viewings, canoeing -- but they could never commit when I asked ahead of time. They would put me off until the day of the event and then suddenly they would have something else to do. And they almost never invited me anywhere, but couldn't wait to share the memories of the event with me. All this happened over and over again, and with several different friends. I got used to doing things by myself out of necessity.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 11:43 pm

Yes, I have friends but only 2 friends not including people I've never met in person who I only talk to over the internet. I only see them about once a month or so and they are the ones who contact me, I very rarely call them. I get lonely with no social contact but I require very little and I get really involved in my books and forget to call people....