Page 2 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Urist
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Mar 2013, 5:30 am

I've always felt older than my peers, honestly. They always seemed too active and too willing to leap at things with absolutely no composure or consideration. I've often found that I prefer to talk to adults in general, or at least calmer members of my peer group. When I'm an adult though, I'll just have to see. Maybe my imagination will make me feel younger, maybe I'll feel like I'm the right age, or maybe I'll feel like a 70 year old man telling the darn kids to get off of his lawn.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 5:36 am

^Nope, you'll likely never outgrow that. I'm 30 and still tend to get along with those older than myself in terms of conversation/sales etc vs. the same age or younger. A few different books explain this phenomenon fairly well, about how we're anxious around our peers but more relaxed around those with our intellectual maturity. As well as how older people, especially seniors, tend to be a lot more.. mellowed & patient, so they'll listen attentively to a "little professor," Aspie. These traits definitely have their pros and cons. Not so awesome for peer socialization, but I can foresee doing better w/ sales & business with middle aged+ people in the future.

Tori0326
Toucan
Toucan

16 Mar 2013, 6:37 am

I feel and look younger than my peers. I'm 41 and most my friends the same age are starting to show their age....crow's feet, wrinkles, etc. Not me yet, knock on wood.
I seem to do everything late too. I had my son at 36 and now I'm back in college working on my bachelor's degree. I also like to game. I'm playing a little World of Warcraft right now before I get back to homework. (FWIW, we do have a 70 year old woman in my guild.) I don't plan to ever act my age. :P

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 12:50 pm

This thread reminded me: when I was a kid, 5-12yo, I felt older, especially intellectually, and I looked older than my classmates.. (When I was 15 I had to show my birth certificate at the movie theatre so they wouldn't charge me adult ticket prices) I often used to wonder if I WAS older and for some reason my parents had lied to me about my birth date. I had a few wild theories about that that are pretty funny in hindsight. :lol: but at the time, as a kid, it was rather stressful thinking those thoughts and wondering if I really was older and WHY they'd create such an elaborate lie if I was.

As for feeling intellectually more mature than my peers throught childhood, apparently this is a common trait.. And due to depressive negaive mindset I never really perceived myself as smart or advanced, but rather, I just thought everyone else was stupid and slow. I'm not trying to be rude here, just matter of fact.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 12:54 pm

This thread reminded me: when I was a kid, 5-12yo, I felt older, especially intellectually, and I looked older than my classmates.. (When I was 15 I had to show my birth certificate at the movie theatre so they wouldn't charge me adult ticket prices) I often used to wonder if I WAS older and for some reason my parents had lied to me about my birth date. I had a few wild theories about that that are pretty funny in hindsight. :lol: but at the time, as a kid, it was rather stressful thinking those thoughts and wondering if I really was older and WHY they'd create such an elaborate lie if I was.

As for feeling intellectually more mature than my peers throught childhood, apparently this is a common trait.. And due to depressive negaive mindset I never really perceived myself as smart or advanced, but rather, I just thought everyone else was stupid and slow. I'm not trying to be rude here, just matter of fact.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 2:06 pm

I do feel at a different age to my peers. Maybe not younger, but just not their age. I feel like I could be an old grandmother, or anything, simply because I don't dress up, go out to bars and drink. My cousin (21) has just come round now (unexpectedly) and went straight upstairs and knocked on my brother's bedroom door before I even knew she was there. That is only because they have one thing in common: drinking.

I actually feel older than my peers because I've already figured out that getting blotto is not so great. My mum's generation don't get that drunk any more, in fact they don't even get drunk now. They just stay in on a Saturday night, simply because they are passed it all. I feel like I am one of them.

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2013, 2:58 pm

I am an older aspie but many think I am much younger in my looks and ways.

I am not as wise as others my age and my social understanding is a bit behind and always has been. Luckily I was not aware of my lack in my younger days.

dottsie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Mar 2013, 9:17 pm

very much, yeah. my mindset is pretty childish and i'm terrified of growing up and having to do "adult" things like move out and get a job.
i watched nick jr. and playhouse disney up until i was a late tween. partially because my younger sister liked it, and partially because i enjoyed it
everyone around me are doing drugs and dating people and i have no desire to do anything like that, mainly because i feel i'm too young. i'll probably always feel like that

onewithstrange
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Mar 2013, 2:06 am

Sometimes I've felt younger due to a lack of social experience but sometimes I've felt older in having more maturity and level-headedness than my peers.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 2:27 am

Incidentally, I was just thinking of this.

In some ways, I feel older than my peers, but in others, I feel younger than I actually am. I see how people I went to grade school with socialize and how they're getting married and having kids. Then I look at how I spend my time. I sometimes feel like I'll never have what they have. Then I realize that maybe I don't want what they have.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 3:37 pm

I would say that i look younger and also feel younger because i had never been involved in a relationship difficulties in keeping and progressing in a job also my mindset is different from older peers as well.

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 3:44 pm

dottsie wrote:
very much, yeah. my mindset is pretty childish and i'm terrified of growing up and having to do "adult" things like move out and get a job.
i watched nick jr. and playhouse disney up until i was a late tween. partially because my younger sister liked it, and partially because i enjoyed it
everyone around me are doing drugs and dating people and i have no desire to do anything like that, mainly because i feel i'm too young. i'll probably always feel like that

Exactly me in my teens. I was constantly told to grow up, and my parents threw out my toys when I was presumed to be too old for them, but I never cared for the things teens are supposed to be interested in. Still don't, except for juvenile fiction, but only on subjects I can myself relate to.

Now im my mid-20s it all depends. In one way, I feel much older than my peers, probably because I'm relatively intelliigent. In another respect, I havent'achieved a thing in life so in that way I'm just a teen, but also I can feel really childish, afriad of growing up, and interested in childish stuff.

Sheerboredom
Toucan
Toucan

18 Mar 2013, 11:57 pm

Mentally I feel older, socially not far behind.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 12:47 am

I've always felt younger than my peers, like I never really grew up. Maybe that's because of not viewing the world through a social filter.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 1:15 am

I definitely feel younger than my peers. As a matter of fact, I even look younger, too. I guess autism does have its pluses.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 11:08 am

Definitely. People my age look 20 years older than me, and people 10 years younger than me look 10 years older than me.