130-140 16%  16%  [ 25 ]
Not on these ranges 16%  16%  [ 24 ]
Not on these ranges 16%  16%  [ 24 ]
Total votes : 154

Till
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Jul 2005, 4:00 pm

The SATs *were* an indicator of IQ before they were dummed down by the college board. If you took the SATs before 1993 (or maybe it was 91???), Mensa would accept the scores as proof of having an IQ in the 98th percentile.[/quote]

Is it not possible that Mensa simply decided that they could make more money by asking people to take their own test?

Also, I don't think repeated IQ tests are very accurate, at least not for comparison with the general public. As with SATs, if you practice them, you will score higher, without you neccessarily getting more intelligent. After a while, it will just be a matter of "how well can I take IQ tests", which, of course, is fine as a hobby, but gradually loses connection with a real measurement of intelligence, unless of course, you define intelligence as your test score, which seems to be the textbook method anyway. I have to admit, I had a phase where I was really addicted to online IQ tests myself, despite always struggling on the word analogies, being a non-native speaker.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2005, 12:05 am

Sophist wrote:
By the by, for those who have taken the WAIS or the WISC, how did you score on the Block Design if you recall? I had scored an 18/19 on that particular part. 9/18 is supposed to be average but supposedly many Aspies perform quite well on this because of poorer Central Coherance and thus we are better able to segment the designs into their constituent parts and then recreate the design more easily.

I don't know about that 'central coherence' stuff, but I did Block Design so rapidly the tester didn't have time to start his stopwatch.

As for overall IQ, it's been too much all over the place (both between subscores, and between the times I was tested) for me to give a single score and I don't believe in the existence of a thing like "my IQ" anyway technically. The second time I was tested it was much lower than the first, though, and the last time I was not given my score (I suppose the Social Security Administration has it somewhere).

I have trouble imagining some finite thing such as intellectual capacity, though. I know that's supposed to exist, but given my experience of the world it doesn't make sense or apply or something. I can at times be capable of complex ideas such as I am writing here, and other times I am unable to make sense of the most absolutely basic information or string any ideas together at all. I don't think either of these extremes is any more or less reflective of my "real intelligence" than the other, and both occur with enough frequency that I can't point at one and say "Hello, this one is the accurate depiction of this person's cognitive abilities."

I am also certain that if I took an IQ test at different times, I could score low or high, and with completely different subtest profiles depending on which thing I was focusing on. If I was doing words that day my verbal subtest scores might be higher, if I was focusing on some other stuff my nonverbal scores might be higher. There's just too much shift in me in all areas at all times for me to trust the ideas inherent in IQ testing, most notably the one that says these things are static or that you can pick one score and it's truly representative of you.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2005, 12:49 am

I think the standard IQ tests are not an accurate reflection of true intelligence. I do quite well on those tests. However, I know I would score much lower if Emotional Intelligence and other adaptibility measures were added in. For life, I'm not as smart as I test. :?

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2005, 1:31 am

anbuend wrote:
I am also certain that if I took an IQ test at different times, I could score low or high, and with completely different subtest profiles depending on which thing I was focusing on. If I was doing words that day my verbal subtest scores might be higher, if I was focusing on some other stuff my nonverbal scores might be higher.

That's really interesting. Not something I've heard written about the spectrum before, but it makes perfect sense. I suspect I'd have the same thing happen if I was formally tested, though to lesser degree. They don't tell you, before a test, what mode you're supposed to take it in...

Tim_p
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2005, 7:35 pm

Sophist wrote:
By the by, for those who have taken the WAIS or the WISC, how did you score on the Block Design if you recall? I had scored an 18/19 on that particular part.

I can't remember the number value, but my score was right near the top. I too found that section of the test fun, the only thing limiting my score was the speed I could turn the blocks.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2005, 1:39 am

I got marked off a bit more because the last design was turned at a different 45 degree angle so it was like a diamond and I didn't turn it to the proper angle facing the psycholigist. And so when I finished the design but hadn't shifted it correctly, I sat there and looked at him and was wondering why he hadn't stopped the watch yet. Then I looked back at the design on the card and realized it needed to even be at the proper angle because the test was just that picky. Argh.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2005, 1:44 am

My IQ?

Jello

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2005, 2:15 am

Nomaken, what flavor is your IQ???

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2005, 3:34 am

Hmmmmm..... my favorite flavor...... blue! No yell-ahhhhhhhh!

*snickering*

I think strawberry.

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2005, 4:17 am

I don't think we even have SATs in Canada. When I was in school in the 70's we had an annual standardized test that every student did that was used to evaluate the teachers or school curriculum or something. All I really remember was that we had to read hundreds of questions from a white booklet and fill in little ovals on the answer card ("Do not spindle, fold or mutilate!") with a #2 or HB pencil and then a few weeks later the teacher would give us a strip of paper with about 8 boxes that (in my case) always had "99" in them....

Absolute_Zero
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2005, 3:37 pm

155..., higher on the creative logic side of thinking. I've taken many different tests, in person, from doctors, in school, and online and all of them point to just over 150. IQ tests aren't really supposed to be fully recognized as complete tests of intellegence. Intelligence differs so much from person to person.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2005, 1:07 pm

I believe my IQ is LIME-FLAVORED. :D

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2005, 1:21 pm

pyraxis wrote:
That's really interesting. Not something I've heard written about the spectrum before, but it makes perfect sense. I suspect I'd have the same thing happen if I was formally tested, though to lesser degree. They don't tell you, before a test, what mode you're supposed to take it in...

Exactly.

And I think that in the different times I was tested, I got different results. Except in the things I'm always bad at.

Like one test said Block Design was an area of weakness, I was having a bad motor day that day. When I was able to move better, it was my best area on the entire test. Same thing has happened with things like receptive vocabulary (although I don't think that one ever tested as good, it just varied a fair bit).

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2005, 9:13 am

Came across this old topic. When I was a kid I did a test in Reader's Digest for MENSA and subsequently sent away for the test. The lowest IQ score I ever received was 119 and the highest 159, but I think it's more than likely around the 125-140 mark. I am currently completely a Ba in Civil Engineering and am an established writer and filmmaker, but then again, so are many Aspergians I suspect.

ashkelon
Raven
Raven

13 Jul 2005, 10:19 am

145, 146, or 148 depending on which of the tests I took... They were probably Stanford Binet, USA.

I was in the first TAG group in Des Moines, and didn't find out for years what the IQ tests showed. They were worried about the social damage that might be done if we (or other kids) thought we were there because we were "smart").

Since the special ed classrooms were right across the hall, I thought I was there because I had some kind of brain damage and my folks didn't was to tell me. When I asked, they just said "Go to school and do your best, thats all you need to know". So I was REALLY sure.

Tekneek
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jul 2005, 5:27 am

Mine was 138 (I think) when I was 13, according to my school. I was placed in the 'gifted program' and was able to easily get into advanced placement courses in high school. I had taken an IQ test online about 7 years ago when a bunch of us at the place I worked decided to see how we ranked. I got a 155 on that one, but I don't know how accurate it could really be.

I am curious what my IQ would be on a 'real test' now, but secretly (or not so secretly) I fear that it might be very close to 100. Not that I am that arrogant, but it would really change the way I perceive myself (which is shaped by how people consider me to be very intelligent). Actually, people either think I am brilliant or very stupid, so maybe there is nothing to lose...?

EDIT...On the MENSA bit, I would love to be tested and accepted, even if I then chose to walk away. I've only known one 'official' MENSA member. He was part of my team here at work, but was fired after getting into a free speech argument on an important internal email list, where he eventually resorted to 'inappropriate language' to describe his disgust with this other individual. A lot of people were, apparently, frightened of him and a EVP actually came around asking if he was a "shooter."