Do you ever call/consider yourself autistic? (AS Dx)

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

diablo77
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jun 2014, 2:13 pm

This comes about in part because of an argument I got into on another site, but I do wonder how common it is for people whose official diagnosis is AS (or another of the "other" ASDs now under the umbrella) to simply call themselves autistic and align with the general autism community. I think as I get older I'm doing it more and more, and this has a lot to do with research and experience. As I do advocacy work and service work for people with disabilities, many of them on the spectrum, I start to see that many of the things they do are things I do as well, though sometimes on a less pronounced scale. I also realize that many who are considered "lower-functioning" have abilities that I don't have, and I've stopped seeing the hierarchies of high/low functioning as being a linear thing. Most importantly, I'm interested in seeing improvements in the world for all autistic people, not just those who function in a similar way to me, so I don't want to distance myself. I even have moments when I wonder if AS is completely accurate for me, as many of the adults I know who identify as Aspies have the classic features of social awkwardness and maybe some narrow interests, but they don't have meltdowns or repetitive behavior patterns and they weren't in Special Ed as kids so I still feel like I have less in common with them sometimes that with the people I work for. I wonder if there are others who feel that way, or if it's as common as it seems to want to make a distinction all the time.

nyxjord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 2:23 pm

As someone diagnosed after DSM-5 went into effect, I know that my official dx is Level 1/ mild autism, but when I tell people, I just say I have Asperger's because I relate more to it, and because it is more commonly known. Thankfully, I have yet to be asked if I am like "Rain Man" or "Sheldon Cooper." I will let you know when/ if that ever happens!

ironboyrory
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Jun 2014, 2:38 pm

I almost always refer to myself as 'Autistic'. Like you say, it's a way of aligning with the wider Autistic community. My diagnosis was Asperger's, but Asperger's IS Autism so I don't feel it's inappropriate and I don't like the way that some dx with AS use it to separate themselves from the rest of the Autistic community as if they're somehow better or superior. (Not that the majority of people who prefer to use the term Asperger's do this, it's something I've seen in a small minority of cases). Also you're right in that functioning labels are usually inadequate and the differences between classic autism/aspergers is not as clear cut as once thought.

It also helps with the whole DSM/ICD discrepancy between ASD and Asperger's. 'Autism' covers them both.

I think people should refer to themselves as either I supposed, whatever their preference.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 2:38 pm

I don't tell people I am autistic or consider myself as such. To me autistic is more disabling and I am not that and not affected by it as they are. Autistic will just be a misleading term for me to use and I am too normal for it. I may have features of it but I don't consider myself as such. I am more socially awkward, shy and introverted where today those people would be considered autistic.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 2:58 pm

While I haven't officially been diagnosed (I completed several of the Cambridge screening tests), I refer to myself as an Aspie because its unique characteristics are significantly different from classical autism and more commonly known by others. However, when the conversation changes from "me as Aspie" to the autism spectrum disorders, I use the appropriate terminology for whatever feature of the spectrum I am trying to describe.

The reasons why I choose to call myself an Aspie include its unique characteristics and common familiarity (see above) but also its exact description of where I am on the spectrum. I believe that, so long as the spectrum is described as such, it almost begs the question "where are you on the spectrum?" when referring to it in a personal situation with others.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 6:40 pm

Likewise. Exactly.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 6:50 pm

When I was a child, I used to call myself "ret*d" at times. At other times, I would say "I used to be ret*d, but I had brain surgery to cure it." When I got a bit older, I might call myself "socially ret*d" at times. I was called that by my mother's boyfriend.

I knew I was diagnosed as autistic, and I knew an autistic kid; I didn't act like him (he was very low-functioning and is presently in a group home for people with intellectual disabilities). I never called myself "autistic" as a child, because I didn't think I was "autistic." I had a vague feeling that I was "ret*d" in some way all through my childhood.

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 7:00 pm

diablo77 wrote:
This comes about in part because of an argument I got into on another site, but I do wonder how common it is for people whose official diagnosis is AS (or another of the "other" ASDs now under the umbrella) to simply call themselves autistic and align with the general autism community. I think as I get older I'm doing it more and more, and this has a lot to do with research and experience. As I do advocacy work and service work for people with disabilities, many of them on the spectrum, I start to see that many of the things they do are things I do as well, though sometimes on a less pronounced scale. I also realize that many who are considered "lower-functioning" have abilities that I don't have, and I've stopped seeing the hierarchies of high/low functioning as being a linear thing. Most importantly, I'm interested in seeing improvements in the world for all autistic people, not just those who function in a similar way to me, so I don't want to distance myself. I even have moments when I wonder if AS is completely accurate for me, as many of the adults I know who identify as Aspies have the classic features of social awkwardness and maybe some narrow interests, but they don't have meltdowns or repetitive behavior patterns and they weren't in Special Ed as kids so I still feel like I have less in common with them sometimes that with the people I work for. I wonder if there are others who feel that way, or if it's as common as it seems to want to make a distinction all the time.

Exactly this.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 7:10 pm

ironboyrory wrote:
Also you're right in that functioning labels are usually inadequate and the differences between classic autism/aspergers is not as clear cut as once thought.

autistic functioning is purely based on whether someone has intelectual disability [iq under seventy] or not [iq over seventy],for ID we have to have a combined complex functioning assessment as well as IQ test [usualy WAIS],scoring low on an iq test isnt a automatic qualifier for ID,very high functioning people such as donna williams have ignorantly called themselves ID from having a low iq score.

autistic traits will often indirectly clash with someones functioning but someone with HFA for example by default cannot have a directly low functioning level.

just to turn the original topic around; am classic autistic,LFA and relate to aspies in some ways otherwise woud not be here.
aspies are autistic and have autism.
autism isnt a diagnostic label its just a description that used to describe only one form but now covers a whole spectrum.

if people dont want to be related in any way to us classic autists by using the word autism on themselves then its their problem; it is an action that says they dont have a lot of experience of classic autism other than the stereotypes seen in films and the media,as classic autism relates to aspergers in many ways, people need to stop using profound LFA as a representation of the whole of classic autism,its contributing to much of the ignorance we see on here and society in general.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

pollyfinite
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jun 2014, 7:44 pm

No, mostly my Tourette's is what stands out. I don't tell people unless we get into that conversation.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 7:46 pm

living in an area that follows the DSM V, my diagnoses was changed from Aspergers to Autism Spectrum Disorder, i dont remember the exact levels but all i know is thats what the diagnoses was changed to

i consider myself autistic but if i try to explain it, i just say aspergers or mild autism.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 8:33 pm

I have been using the term autistic more frequently since the switch to DSM5.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 9:48 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
When I was a child, I used to call myself "ret*d" at times. At other times, I would say "I used to be ret*d, but I had brain surgery to cure it." When I got a bit older, I might call myself "socially ret*d" at times. I was called that by my mother's boyfriend.

I knew I was diagnosed as autistic, and I knew an autistic kid; I didn't act like him (he was very low-functioning and is presently in a group home for people with intellectual disabilities). I never called myself "autistic" as a child, because I didn't think I was "autistic." I had a vague feeling that I was "ret*d" in some way all through my childhood.

I called myself ret*d when I was 14 because I thought I was. Now I call myself socially ret*d. ret*d literally means slow or lack of so I could call our internet connection ret*d when it acts up or call my computer ret*d if it's ever running slow. That is why the condition was called mental retardation and then ret*d for short.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 10:02 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:

just to turn the original topic around; am classic autistic,LFA and relate to aspies in some ways otherwise woud not be here.
aspies are autistic and have autism.
autism isnt a diagnostic label its just a description that used to describe only one form but now covers a whole spectrum.

I agree wholeheartedly, and you have a very valuable perspective. I was diagnosed pre Aspergers in the early nineties, and I don't understand why there seems to be a tendency to separate autism and aspergers (which is no longer a current diagnosis, I believe). No matter where you fall in the autistic spectrum (or not at all), everyone has worth and something to give in their own way.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2014, 11:51 pm

I do both. I call myself autistic and I consider myself to be so as well, even though I'm high functioning.

SplinterStar
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jun 2014, 11:59 pm

I'm not 100% on how far down the scales aspergers is but i still get overload fueled tantrums that are very hard to prevent. but if i can help it, i won't tell someone i have aspergers to elevate my social standing over all. I'm not going to deny it if someone confronts me, but i'm not advertising it either.

I've found that the adult world is terrified of anything different and i have lost out on a ton of jobs because i put my aspie-ness on a resume that i by-the-law have to put on there. my overloading problem is another culprit for getting fired a lot but as a rule of thumb they usually just shred up my resume without really reading if aspergers is anywhere on it. Yeah it'd illegal to discriminate like that but you can't change the world overnight either. just running around suing anyone that shreds your resumes would be so stupid and petty.

I rambled a lot but basically, no i do not openly identify as an autism baby. I won't deny it either but i'm not thrilled about it.