Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

mild mannered missanthrope
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Sep 2015, 6:21 pm

Thank you kindly ToughDiamond.

It is reassuring to know that I am not the only person here who is not interested in being with people just for the sake of it.

I have started a list of ways that I may try using my interests to engage with others. Typical over thinker that I am it is already a pro/con list! Thanks again.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2015, 6:24 pm

I like cultural anthropology myself.

When I was about 13, my "special interest" was Neanderthal Man.

Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Sep 2015, 7:25 pm

Thank you very much indeed for your reply Starkid.

I think you make a good point when you say that it is good to want less social interaction since, the inverse - wanting more social contact and not being able to get it - would be so hard to live with....the grass is often greener?

I agree completely that the 'social games that people play' are awful and exhausting and so confusing. I try to actively discourage new social connections for the reasons you outlined. People have to be very important individuals to me if I am going to be willing to put up with all the trouble they bring with them into my life.

I definitely want the minimum amount of social contact that I can get away with in my life...my problem is that my family, my few friends and the people I work with always want more time and energy from me. I do my best to meet their needs and be generous with them when I can, but I get really exhausted and burnt out. I am hoping to find ways to make forcing myself to socialize with the people i already have responsibilities to easier and more productive.

Thank you again for your reply :D

Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Sep 2015, 3:57 am

Hi Kraftiekortie,

Those are great interests. My knowledge of both topics is only topical though!... Just a few articles in popular science magazines.

If you enjoy mystery fiction you might wish to check out Kathy Reichs. She is a Forensic Anthropologist & her protagonist is also a Forensic Anthropologist. Many other scientific fields are referenced in the plots of the books, but I don't remember if Cultural Anthropology is specifically referenced.

Thanks very much for your reply :D

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2015, 7:58 am

I think you're a very nice and respectful person, and will go far in the social sphere.

Don't worry about making mistakes; they will happen. Just learn from the mistakes.

I'm glad you're taking this step (in trying to be social). I think this will benefit you in the end.

I feel it just helps when you have input from other people, rather than just yourself.

Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Sep 2015, 6:50 pm

Thank you kindly Kraftiekortie!

That was such an encouraging message. I really appreciate how generous you have been in taking the time to reply to me.

What you said about letting myself make mistakes and seeing them as chances to learn is such an important thought. This is something I am not good at currently, but I am going to try to focus on being brave and trying things I am not 100% certain about.

I am glad that I have found WP because it is making a bigger difference than I thought - as you said having input from other people instead of just yourself does help...and people here are providing realy good input. :D