Page 4 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2015, 1:03 pm

I think "autistic person" is the strangest.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2015, 6:13 pm

iliketrees wrote:
Jojopa wrote:
Slurs like 'autist' can go die in a fire though.

Appears to be an actual word:

https://www.wordnik.com/words/autist

"autist" is no more derogatory than "autistic".

The problem is that using "autist" as a synonym for "autistic person" is stupid and meaningless.

An "autist" would be the equivalent of an "illusionist", or a "cellist", or an "artist", or a "scientist". It would mean someone who deliberately does autism on command as a craft, or a profession.

"Let's all go down to the theater. and pay to watch that guy do his autism on stage! NO body does it better than that guy!" :D

In contrast "autistic" implies that you can't help it -having traits associated with autism. Which would be the truth if you were indeed "autistic".

Varelse
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Nov 2015, 6:18 pm

My own preference is not to be labeled at all. Labels have a tendency to box you in. In my world, everyone is a person who has a collection of characteristics and relationships that collectively define who they are at each moment. Some of those change over time. In fact, most of them do, given enough time. So, I'd have to go with "on the spectrum" or "with autism".

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2015, 6:19 pm

Do you prefer autistic or person with autism? Don't care

Do you mind if others say person with autism rather than autistic? (This is not when people insist on person with autism, but maybe use both interchangeably) No.

Do you like it if people insist you shouldn't say autistic and should say person with autism instead? I try to appease them according to what they like, but i won't apologize if I make a mistake. To me, this subject is just more politically correct BS.

Do you like functioning levels, or would you prefer just autism or aspergers? I don't really see what function the levels serve? A child's IEP should be based upon their actual needs, not some number. Even with the same number, two different children will have different needs. So it doesn't really serve a function. As for adults, there is generally nothing available for therapy or help anyways, so a number is useless.

Do you prefer autism spectrum disorder ASD or autism spectrum condition ASC? (I only ask as I've come across asc quite a few times) doesn't matter.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2015, 7:26 pm

Lumi wrote:
I think "autistic person" is the strangest.

If you happen to be a human person, and you happened to have autism, then you are an..."autistic person".

How is that "strange"?

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2015, 7:46 pm

Do you prefer autistic or person with autism?
Autistic. Autism isn't something I carry around with me; it's an intrinsic part of my identity. It's a word that describes me.

Do you mind if others say person with autism rather than autistic? (This is not when people insist on person with autism, but maybe use both interchangeably)
I might be mildly annoyed, but I know people who use person-first generally mean well.

Do you like it if people insist you shouldn't say autistic and should say person with autism instead? That's the point where I start getting actually, instead of just mildly, annoyed. It's MY autism. I get to call it whatever the heck I want to call it, and other people--especially non-autistic people--need to listen to me. Now, if it's another person with autism, saying I should call THEM a "person with autism" instead of "autistic", then I'll comply with that when I talk about them, because that's THEIR autism, and they get to decide, too.

Do you like functioning levels, or would you prefer just autism or aspergers?
Functioning levels are nonsensical. There are no official, standardized definitions, and they're often used to divide-and-conquer or silence us. "High-functioning" usually means "not disabled enough to deserve help", and "low-functioning" usually means "too disabled to have a say in what happens to them".

Do you prefer autism spectrum disorder ASD or autism spectrum condition ASC? (I only ask as I've come across asc quite a few times)No preference. I'll say "ASD" just because that's the way it's described in the DSM-V, and that's the word they use. I guess some people don't like "disorder" and prefer "condition" because "disorder" sounds like there's something wrong, but really, when was the last time you heard "condition" being used to describe anything that wasn't an illness or disorder of some kind? Well, other than pregnancy, I suppose.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 4:36 pm

Do you prefer autistic or person with autism?
I actually think, I prefer "autistic", but I haven´t got that far yet. Asperger is more moderate.

Do you mind if others say person with autism rather than autistic? (This is not when people insist on person with autism, but maybe use both interchangeably)
No.

Do you like it if people insist you shouldn't say autistic and should say person with autism instead?
No, but the term, "autistic" is still ladden with somber pictures of children rocking and humming in solitude.
I´m beginning to see, that autism is a very broad spectrum and that, for many reasons, Aspergers and, at least, HF autism is interchangable.
No, I don´t like people to dictate, what others prefer to call themselves.

Do you like functioning levels, or would you prefer just autism or aspergers? For assessment reasons, a scale of functioning levels can provide good information, but in daily life Autism/Aspergers will say more.

Do you prefer autism spectrum disorder ASD or autism spectrum condition ASC? (I only ask as I've come across asc quite a few times)
Actually I prefer ASC. It would remove most of the dilemma of what to call oneself and others.
[/quote]

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

01 Dec 2015, 1:22 am

Do you prefer autistic or person with autism? Autistic

Do you mind if others say person with autism rather than autistic? (This is not when people insist on person with autism, but maybe use both interchangeably) Yes

Do you like it if people insist you shouldn't say autistic and should say person with autism instead? No

Do you like functioning levels, or would you prefer just autism or aspergers? Autism & Aspergers

Do you prefer autism spectrum disorder ASD or autism spectrum condition ASC? (I only ask as I've come across asc quite a few times) ASD

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition