Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2017, 6:26 am

Hey do any of you notice their being allot of cynicism on this forum recently. I see it in many members and I'd like to know how do we deal with it?

Fraser_1990
Toucan
Toucan

15 Feb 2017, 6:45 am

It's not just here. The whole world is becoming increasingly more cynical. It's all about me, me, me now and it will ultimately bring the end of us.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2017, 6:47 am

Fraser_1990 wrote:
It's not just here. The whole world is becoming increasingly more cynical. It's all about me, me, me now and it will ultimately bring the end of us.
Why would you say that?

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2017, 7:14 am

The world is becoming more insane by the day; a lot of «Atheists» have also either left these forums or became inactive. Not that there aren't still a significant percentage around but most here still trust American cops...

Last edited by Ban-Dodger on 15 Feb 2017, 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fraser_1990
Toucan
Toucan

15 Feb 2017, 7:14 am

Shahunshah wrote:
Fraser_1990 wrote:
Why would you say that?

I don't really want to get deep into the subject, as it belongs in the political forum section. The world isnt going in a good direction, that's all I will say.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2017, 8:04 am

I don't agree.

People were quite cynical in the 80s, too.

I've lived a long time, and been around a lot of people

You will always have cynics. And you will always have optimists.

I think Trump and people's perception of him has raised the level of cynicism at least somewhat amongst many people recently.

WrongPlanet was involved in gender battles two years ago.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2017, 8:06 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't agree.

People were quite cynical in the 80s, too.

I've lived a long time, and been around a lot of people

You will always have cynics. And you will always have optimists.

I think Trump and people's perception of him has raised the level of cynicism at least somewhat amongst many people recently.

WrongPlanet was involved in gender battles two years ago.
What were the gender battles like?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2017, 8:13 am

They were pretty rough.

Some of the participants were trolls. They had views like "any man can potentially be a rapist."

And the men reacted to this as if they began to think that all women thought that way.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2017, 8:20 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
They were pretty rough.

Some of the participants were trolls. They had views like "any man can potentially be a rapist."

And the men reacted to this as if they began to think that all women thought that way.

Well that's bloody dumb. Why do so many people believe that here.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2017, 8:22 am

I don't believe they actually believe it, for the most part. I believe it's mostly ego. People want to portray themselves as tough and radical. When, actually, their overall beliefs are more moderate.

Sometimes, people adopt personas so they can have fun on the Internet. Some of these "personas" involve having extreme viewpoints. When, in actuality, their views are more mainstream.

Fraser_1990
Toucan
Toucan

15 Feb 2017, 9:06 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
They were pretty rough.

Any man could potentially be a rapist. In fact, any person could "pontentially" be a killer. The key word is "potential". We all have the potential to do things, even if we don't believe we do.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2017, 9:11 am

Fraser_1990 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
They were pretty rough.

Any man could potentially be a rapist. In fact, any person could "pontentially" be a killer. The key word is "potential". We all have the potential to do things, even if we don't believe we do.
I think I misinterpreted what Kraftie said. I thought he meant women here thought "All men were rapists."

Nevermind, Fraser has a point though. You got to be vigilant and keep the possibility open for your own safety. I mean just look at Dennis Hastert.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2017, 9:16 am

I'm not saying not to be vigilant. Not at all.

I'm saying that I don't believe that there should be the default assumption that any interaction will be negative. And that every potential interaction has to be defended as if one is about to do something negative to you.

Most of my interactions in my life have been either positive, or neutral (mostly neutral).

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2017, 9:18 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm not saying not to be vigilant. Not at all.

I'm saying that I don't believe that there should be the default assumption that any interaction will be negative. And that every potential interaction has to be defended as if one is about to do something negative to you.

Most of my interactions in my life have been either positive, or neutral (mostly neutral).
I guess I would have to see their posts. But it doesn't sound like a nice time for this forum indeed.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2017, 9:25 am

It's quite similar in nature to the Trump-oriented posts of today.

People using the same tactics to assert their point of view.

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2017, 9:38 am

I've been seeing mostly one point of view, aside from the political section.