Autism and other neurological disorders

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2017, 9:16 am

I'm curious if autism is common in conjunction with other neurological disorders.
This week I am finally getting my act together and seeing someone to commence CBT for my sleep disorder. I have had the flu and it has badly exacerbated my sleep issues. Now, I am aware CBT is a psychological approach which may not work with this - because my sleep problems are due to a neurological disorder. I have plain old insomnia, but also severe delayed sleep phase syndrome.
Thus, most advice and treatment people give out for insomnia / sleep disorders doesn't work for this, because the basis for this is on the cause being a psychological problem, a behavioural problem, or a physical problem. Being a neurological disorder, it'll be interesting to see if this helps.
Plenty of correlations have been drawn between autism and sleep difficulties, but how much of that is due to a neurological disorder, I wonder? Over the other causes? Since autism is obviously a neurological disorder, are autistics more likely to have more than one?
Anyone else have more than one neurological condition? Is it linked to autism?

idonthaveanickname
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jun 2017, 3:21 pm

Along with Asperger's, I also have Borderline Personality Disorder, but I'm not sure if that's a neurological disorder. All I know is that it's the result of physiological and chemical disturbances in certain pathways in the brain that control specific brain functions. (I kind of plagiarized that from this book called "Borderline Personality Disorder Demystified".) But I think it has something to do with neurons or neurosis or something. So yes, I'm neurologically impaired, for lack of a better term. I hope this helped, since I'm the first to reply to your post.

razzio
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jun 2017, 3:50 pm

I have autism has well has depression and ocd.

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2017, 4:06 pm

I have autism, depression and ADD.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 3:56 am

I also have delayed sleep phase syndrome. My dyspraxia is as severe as my autism and the two intertwine. Added to that is dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2017, 5:13 am

I have a formal diagnosis of autism, borderline personality disorder, and I suspect I have mild dyslexia and dysgraphia, too. It's likely that I face an ongoing battle with OCD, depression and anxiety because of my neurological impairments.

However, I am unsure if my diagnosis of borderline personality disorder is now defunct as I was diagnosed with autism three years after my initial diagnosis of BPD. To me, psychiatrists usually diagnose personality disorders to anyone who has demonstrated self-destructive behaviour in the past. I was lumped with the label as soon as I failed in my attempt to kill myself in 2012.

I certainly give more credence to my autism diagnosis as I have severe language deficits and struggle to break out of a routine, no matter how counter-productive it may happen to be.