Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 3:06 pm

One reason I prefer reading to oral presentations is the ease of skipping over parts that are just review for me, searching for a few nuggets of news. Do others here get frustrated over things like:
1- Titles and film company logos inserted between choosing a video from a menu, and getting to see it.
2- Long introductions establishing the existence of a problem, when the audience is waiting for the fix.
3- A lecturer asking a question before answering it themselves.
4- Scenes from travel to the location and the reporter's personal story.
5- People ringing the doorbell of someone already wearing a mic.
6- Cameras lingering on various signs in the "background," generally the sponsor's.

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 4:12 pm

Yes, I hear you loud and clear. I think all great writers and lecturers understand the points you have made. Generally padding things out, making unsubtle advertisements and so on is a sign of someone who has no confidence in their argument. If you really believe in what you have to say then you just say it.

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 4:33 pm

I am totally with you on this! Heck, I have a hard time with lectures that don't contain those obstacles. Of course, much of this is due to issues with auditory processing that many autistics have.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 5:13 pm

I just don't like sitting and listening to lectures in general.

I used to fall asleep all the time in class. I was caught a couple of times.

ACinTX
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Feb 2018, 5:23 pm

I despise anything with Powerpoint.

Or the speaker who reads verbatim from the Powerpoint slide. AUUUUGH. 8O

I am guilty of falling asleep as well. I do like it when the speaker has minimum info on the slide and just speaks or ad libs. I think this is because I am not auditory and more kinesthetic... if I move (quietly in the back row) around or grab a cup of coffee it is easier for me to process the info. Strangely enough I discovered if I take notes (which I do not like to do) or bring in handwork (small 4"x5" fabric to handquilt that fits in an empty glasses case) then I can focus while "moving" or doing something. I'm sure I'm either ADHD or some undiagnosed LD but I'm too old and this is how I deal with boring speakers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 5:29 pm

When I did not feeling like studying for an exam, I found PowerPoint to be quite useful, indeed.

An extreme form of Cliff Notes, at times.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 6:11 pm

I hate lectures. I ask a question and my mom seems to think it's a great idea to give out a long detailed answer. Just give me a straight answer damn it. I get bored quickly and I am anxiously waiting for the answer so I might not even hear the answer at all because she did a lecture. I ask what color the car is and instead of telling me "red" you start going into detail about different colors cars have and how each color a car has that is red but it has different labels for that color but you don't tell me what color the car is when I had asked and then you tell me during the lecture. My mom does this sort of thing all the time and she is NT. Just say the color is "scarlet red" if you need to be that specific.

I also hate voice menus on phones. I always fell asleep in class during lectures.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

biostructure
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2018, 7:15 pm

The great thing about being in college/grad school is that I always have my laptop with me in lecture. It's great for those boring moments--I just do something else on my computer until something is said that I can actually learn something from.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 7:25 am

The trouble with multi-tasking for me is that anything more useful than solitaire will distract me so that I miss the beginning of the interesting bit. I love having easy, accurate re-play available.
I just remembered the biggest turn-off: When something sounds new, but then turns into a repetition of the previous point. I feel totally ripped off for my attention, and will often give up, assuming that anyone with something to say would not be padding out their time, even though I know that many viewers would need it.
I once had a science teacher right out of college who went by the book: 1. Tell them what you are going to tell them - 5 min. 2. Tell them (with repetition, etc) - 30 min. 3. Tell them what you told them - 5 min.
I could manage to pay attention for the intro and recap, and got As instead of Cs in that one class.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 5:56 pm

I'm definitely with you on this one. Many, science and history documentaries get my hackles up for the same reason. Aside from the constant repetition of the premise of the show, most documentary makers these days seem to think that they have to spend most of the show slowly building some kind of dramatic tension leading up to a big reveal at the end. And, half the time, the "big reveal" is; "So, could [unlikely but sensational premise] be true? We managed to find a tiny minority of "experts" who think so, but most professionals in the field don't - so we don't really know, but probably not."

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2018, 6:58 pm

Yes, the issue I have with all the points you made is that the speaker is being inauthentic. I am not good at playing along while knowing that it's a set up. I need concrete.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2018, 11:40 am

Hell yeah!

I've been listening to this podcast recently where the speakers insist on speaking incrrrreeeediblyyyy slooooowly. I drove me nuts, so I speeded them up, but then they sounded like smurfs! You just can't win!

People insist on sending me videos and I just don't have the patience. I have a stack of videos I ought to have watched. A crapton of bad consicence, that's what it is.

I don't have adhd, but I do have auditory processing issues.

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2018, 11:47 am

As long as the lecture doesn't touch base on things that I have a strong connection with and I don't get offended or otherwise feel uncomfortable with what is being said, then I don't mind them.

Trojanofpeace
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Feb 2018, 1:23 pm

It's not just the destination. It's the journey.

Trojanofpeace

05 Feb 2018, 1:24 pm

MariaTheFictionkin wrote:
As long as the lecture doesn't touch base on things that I have a strong connection with and I don't get offended or otherwise feel uncomfortable with what is being said, then I don't mind them.

Life is filled with the opportunity to get offended and feel uncomfortable. How will you cope?