Total votes : 42

apus apus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Mar 2018, 6:03 am

yellowtamarin wrote:
apus apus wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:
Well I'm not, like, shouting it at whoever will listen or attending aspie pride marches or anything, but if is relevant to bring it up, I'm happy to. I'm just always open and curious about psychological stuff. Understanding the inner workings of individual human beings is meaningful to me.

Is this a thing?

Hah, I doubt it :)

phew!

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2018, 7:20 am

Obviously my family knows about the diagnosis. Other than that, I'm fairly selective about the people to whom I disclose it. Generally I make a note of letting my teachers and employers know about it, if only as a sort of safety measure. Not many friends or other acquaintances know about my AS, though, except the very close ones.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2018, 9:04 am

Self-diagnosed and reveal my possible AS traits only here-I don't use my real name here. However, someone who knows me and reads this may figure it out because my interest in Denis Istomin is well-known to my friends.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2018, 11:29 am

My feeling about Asperger's (and autism) is that it's not like having some terminal condition.

What, exactly, makes it a tragedy to have Asperger's or high-functioning autism? it's not exactly a death sentence.

It's a pain in the butt----and can cause lots of pain.

But it's just not like some terminal condition.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2018, 12:14 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
What, exactly, makes it a tragedy to have Asperger's or high-functioning autism?

The stigma that still surrounds it. Even though it shouldn't.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2018, 12:33 pm

Something between "open" and "limited". I don't yell "I'm an aspie!" left and right and I didn't put it in my fb account so it's not like the world knows but I don't hide it and there are quite a few people that know.
I am just as open about it as I would be about "I like red color." or "I live in Poland". A normal thing. If it matters or if someone asks I just tell. No big deal.

But I am kinda activistic in certain places. For example today my class watched the movie "Adam" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1185836/ which was my idea (every week we watch a movie suggested by someone and discuss it) and afterwards I answered all questions they had.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2018, 1:12 pm

I have never told anybody I have AS in my life. The only way my family knows is because my mum told them when I was first diagnosed as a child. But I do talk about my AS to my close family, mostly my mum and my two aunties. I'm not sure my cousins know or not. I doubt they even know what AS is. Some of the people at my previous job knew I had AS, because my job mentor told the employer when I first went for the job. But my boyfriend doesn't know I have AS and neither does anybody at my current job. I'm too ashamed of AS to tell people. I just want to get on with my life and rely on my skills I do have and hide the symptoms I do have.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2018, 1:29 pm

I think it's probably obvious to people when they meet me in person that I have ASD. I only really talk about it in detail though to my close family, doctors, and my best friend, aside from on here.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2018, 1:38 pm

Open, but not proud of it (Where did you get that idea?)

I tell people if the need arises, i've been going to lots of interviews lately and i've asked about being able to get a calm working environment and told them why. I can't stand extroverts standing around talking about complete BS like sports and waste my time since i cannot concentrate when they do.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2018, 1:39 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
I'm fairly open about it, though I try not to be obnoxious about it. The way I see it, unless people know they've interacted with an aspie, it'll fly under their radar and whatever image they have in their mind about what an aspie is will remain unaffected. It's a long range, low-intensity effort to combat myths and stereotypes.

Though our country is rather progressive and in the IT industry it is less of a problem. Most know someone who is a programmer.... sorry, Aspie :D

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2018, 1:59 pm

On a need-to-know basis, too, and the only reason anyone needs to know is that I haven’t found a better way to survive. I hope to fix this some day and for the world to forget as soon as possible that I was ever diagnosed.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

AllanB
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Mar 2018, 6:42 pm

whatamievendoing wrote:
Obviously my family knows about the diagnosis. Other than that, I'm fairly selective about the people to whom I disclose it.

Same here. I'm late-diagnosed at 40 - last summer - so I'm still new to identifying as an Aspie/Autistic person. I do want to be more open about it...

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Mar 2018, 6:40 pm

Only my close family and a few other people that I trust know about my AS. I have no intention of telling anyone else unless I feel that it is necessary.

eeVenye
Raven
Raven

24 Mar 2018, 11:54 am

So... Decided as a birthday present to myself to go "public" this week.

So far, so good.

Looking
Raven
Raven

24 Mar 2018, 4:49 pm

I had to tell my company and I chose to tell a few people at work, just people I trust. I suspect that others at work have worked it out though.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2018, 5:45 pm

I am obviously autistic. There is no hiding it.