Are there any autistic people that enjoy crowds / concerts?

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2018, 8:45 am

Have been in crowds (even handled being at a Capitals vs Celtics game in Washington where there were more Celtics fans than there were fans of the local Caps), and done okay.

And have even been in front of crowds, doing standing up comedy routines on open mic night at local clubs, and used to deejay and emcee at parties and weddings.

So I'm okay with crowds.

Looking
Raven
Raven

24 Mar 2018, 5:02 pm

All of us Aspies are different, that’s important to remember. I have heard that Aspies don’t like the sound of motorcycles but I love it. I love rock concerts. I love being in a football crowd. Yet I generally feel like s**t in a room of five people or more. I think the key is that at concerts and football matches everyone’s attention is fixed in the same place. I can forget myself and if I act a bit odd nobody notices. Everyone else is too busy having a good time .
If you are an Aspie you will know, so don’t worry about how you differ from the next one. Look for the similarities and welcome to the family.

LilLoki
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Mar 2018, 5:09 pm

I LOVE GOING TO HEAVY METAL SHOWS. especially if I'm drunk to the point of being "anesthetized" :mrgreen: :hockey: :hockey:

sundarakarma
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Mar 2018, 11:42 pm

LupaLuna wrote:
I think it depends on the crowds and the venue. I went to an Owl City concert in Seattle and that was one concert I really enjoyed. It was in an auditorium with seating and the house lights were off. The auditorium was less than 1/4 full and everyone had their own seat and we all had plenty of personal space. I can't tolerate being in standing crowds or bleacher seating. I need my bubble space.

That's funny, I also saw Owl City a few years ago (my first concert!) and that was how I got into concerts.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2018, 3:05 am

I am in the UK and I go to football games every other week and quite enjoy being in a crowd. Though when the crowd becomes aggressive and the atmosphere turns nasty I do not like it at all, and walking to the game among crowds I find myself feeling slightly uncomfortable and I am mostly watching and analysing others around me.

Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2018, 3:33 am

I live in Tokyo so I have to deal with massive crowds daily, mostly during the morning rush hour. I enjoy feeling like a fish, moving with the school. You become aware of your body in a new way, so it's good practice for the general clumsiness I've had since childhood.

I can be very sensitive to sound, though, so if I'm stressed or tired, a noisy crowd can lead to sensory overload and an anxiety attack. I've never been to any sort of big sports game and I'm quite concerned I'd have a meltdown if I did, so I just decided it's not my cup of tea. Tokyo commuter crowds are very quiet, fortunately.

RavenShark
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 May 2018, 1:31 pm

No. I have never been to concerts, but I have been to clubs where bands have played, and it was anything but fun, so I imagine that concerts are that overwhelming x10. I can't stand being in a club longer than 1 hour.

If people were to listen to the music quietly and just take it in, then yes, concerts would be bearable, but that will never be the case.

giveen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 May 2018, 1:53 pm

Concerts and the large crowds bring out the worst loneliness within me as I feel like I cannot connect to the feelings and the excitement of everyone there, even though I may be excited to see a favorite artist as well.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2018, 2:26 pm

I hate it but I've meant very extroverted and sensory seeking autistic people that love that stuff.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia