Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2018, 3:04 pm

As I have I mentioned earlier, we are working on building an Autistic community in southern Colorado. It is of great importance that this will be affordable for even those lving on ssi, as most Autistic people, for various reasons, are unable to work.

Right now, I personally own a rickety old house on the side of a mountain, which is currently our host house. [no, I do not charge rent to the non-profit] We are in a quiet, small town in the mountains, with tons of wildlife and quiet. We have chickens, are waiting for our dairy goats to be born, and plan on doing gardening. As soon as our tax-exempt status becomes official, we will work hard to raise money so that AutHaven can buy surrounding land and some extreme fixer upper houses.

One thing we are excited about is supporting those in the community who are interested in entrepeneurship. Partnerships especially, where Autistic people can work using their strengths, combined with someone elses strengths. We want to eventually give out scholarships to Autistic people wanting to go into a field helping other Autistics in ways only an Autistic person could understand. As an example, suicide is a huge problem among our people. Shouldn't counselors for hurting Autistic people be other Autistic people.

There are so many possibilities for areas that we can prioritize. My question is, what would you want to find in an Autistic community that you would find intriguing? What would make YOU want to be a part of this?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2018, 3:28 pm

brainstorming meetings where people could participate in ways suitable for each member. everybody has a say as to how things are run.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2018, 5:05 pm

Aunt Blabby, That is a priority for all of us on the board as well. We are also hoping to find people who not only have their needs met, and their wishes supported, but we will need people who want the entire population to prosper in whatever their definition of the word is to them.

Beulah is a rural village 23 miles southwest of Pueblo. Though we are in a rural setting, we are near enough to the city to enjoy some of the things only found in a city. Among MANY things, this includes a community college and a university. The library in Pueblo, for a city of its' size is exceptional, and i love relaxing strolls on the river walk.
Questions?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2018, 5:47 pm

Bealah is a pretty name for a town. :star: one of these days when I have some $$$$ for travel, i'd like to visit the area.

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2018, 6:55 pm

I love the idea of going beyond intentional community to meaningful and providing opportunity to be help beyond the physical community. I agree counselors, and also it would be nice to have autistic psychologists as the ones to diagnose. I am a teacher an do what I can for my students, autistic children would probably appreciate autistic teachers. Training to facilitate equine therapy programs would bring me there.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2018, 7:29 pm

I think a community garden would be a great idea. We could grow our own food and it would give us a chance to get to know each other better.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2018, 8:07 pm

Vicky, I am so happy to read this post. I have thought of you often and have wondered how you and your family are. I really miss you. I hope someday that I will be able to afford a trip to visit you in CO. It really is good to know you are well. AutHaven is such a great and powerful dream. All my good thoughts and prayers to you my friend.

Wreck It Ralph