What do you find weird about neurotypicals?

Page 12 of 13 [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2018, 1:53 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
IstominFan wrote:
^All of the above

I can't understand people who don't have a passion for anything, or even any discernible interest in anything. Then they make fun of us for being "obsessed." Granted, some of my interests aren't terribly useful, but they are mine.

Hugs to you, xatrix. I knew what all of the things you mentioned above felt like, and it's an awful feeling. I hope things go better for you soon.

I agree with this. I did a google search recently on the most popular hobby in the US, because I was curious. Turns out it's watching TV. I do not consider watching TV to be a hobby, but it certainly makes sense why none of the NT's I talk to seem to ever be able to hold a conversation about anything interesting. Even their discussions about their jobs are boring, because so few of them have the passion and drive to learn something to the point of excellence, and follow a career path in that direction, so they get stuck in nameless, bland jobs that earn them enough money to pay the cable bill.

The last part makes no sense because most autistics are either unemployable, or (if theyre lucky) end up in even crappier jobs than NTs get.

aikoinazuma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Apr 2018, 5:06 pm

bverjee wrote:
I think the following behaviours are weird and I don't understand them:

Saying things that aren't true.
Offering food to others if you want to eat it yourself.
Continuing to talk to someone after you have already said goodbye.
Listening to music and movies super loud.

What do you find weird about neurotypicals?

This is what I see in a lot of NTs (not all of them, mind you):

More impulsive

More easily emotionally flustered

Much more boastful and arrogant (I'm saying it as it is, not trying to be a jerk)

Not as rational or as reasonable

More entitled

Blutaku
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Apr 2018, 5:53 pm

It annoys me how these people are so ignorant of what's going on in the world. I tried explaining some stuff about pollution to them and they just didn't understand why it was a big deal. But it's not just that. It feels like any of the major problems with the world, these people just don't want to even think about it or acknowledge that things arent' 100% okay. I don't know if it's because TV made them that way, if our previous generation didn't teach us proper values or what. But it seems to me like a lot of people on the earth right now are trying to ignore how hard life is going to get in the future and their children even further ahead.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2018, 7:15 pm

Lots of things.

Just in general there is a type of neurotypical I cannot figure out, and I can be overly harsh on the ones I am thinking of. The one's that seem to care more about what others think of them than what they think of themselves, and aren't very open. They often seem to have an attitude of, "Optimism kills anxiety" and cannot understand being unable to easily regulate yourself. They are normally fine people, but they don't make any sense at all to me in any aspect of how they act or carry themselves.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2018, 3:44 am

Why do so many Aspies think NTs are dimwits stuck in dead-end jobs and have no hobbies or interests and just sit around gossiping or watching mind-numbing reality shows on TV all the time? That is the biggest stereotype I've ever heard.

Lots of NTs have hobbies and interests. I know that as a fact because I know LOTS of NTs, my family are all NTs, I have NT friends, I work with NTs, my boyfriend is NT, and there are more.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2018, 4:35 am

NTs do seem to think an awful lot about sex don't they? It seems to govern every aspect of their decision-making process from the most minut to the very grandiose.

From someone who has been classified as
A-sexual I can go many many hours without thinking about sex in any form whereas the NTs seem to think about it once every 10 seconds so this part of them does perplex me so.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2018, 6:04 am

As far as I know, I'm not asexual, but I can go many hours without remembering sex exists till some normal person brings it up. The reason is the same why I don't usually think of eating caviar---it'd be a complete waste of time.

Normal people think of sex because they do have sex.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

superaliengirl
Toucan
Toucan

01 May 2018, 11:07 am

Not saying exactly what they want, lying and scheming and playing games with others (which is also not saying what you really want in a way), not being themselves, how they don't understand certain things are difficult for you and can't comprehend that not everyone work like they do... I've had people tell me to get over things I find very difficult even after i've told them that and even been told that my asperger-traits will fade away with time and similar things. And how much energy they have to do things and stay active constantly... I get tired just thinking about it.

Oh and how they get uncomfortable because I don't make an effort to constantly smalltalk and think that there is something wrong with me because I can be quiet for long periods of time.

arth_96
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 May 2018, 11:56 am

I don't understand why they're so fake. Like for example, I feel like people are my friends because they smile to me and stuff but then they're not my friends because we don't talk outside college, we don't meet outside college... But then the day after they smile again at me. I mean that really confuses me and sometimes I think to myself "please people make a decision! Either you're my friend, either you're not!". And then sometimes I have this impression that the world around me is not real. I don't know if that makes sense. haha
Also on Facebook, people wish me "Happy Birthday!" but I don't talk to them, what does that mean??

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2018, 12:13 pm

What can we do to help these poor people. Should we organise an Ntism Awareness Month ? Perhaps we can devise a form of ABA for them, just some simple drills like "Happy Hands" could make such a difference to their lives. Have we any Ntism Heros who can give Ntistic children Stimming Lessons to help them regulate their moods and keep them safe from the dangers of alcohol and other drugs when they grow up?

Perhaps we need to adapt education to their profiles. it is tragic how few people with Ntism manage to find themselves a passionate interest. So many wasted lives and mindless consumption could be saved just by something like this.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2018, 12:39 pm

arth_96 wrote:
I don't understand why they're so fake. Like for example, I feel like people are my friends because they smile to me and stuff but then they're not my friends because we don't talk outside college, we don't meet outside college... But then the day after they smile again at me. I mean that really confuses me and sometimes I think to myself "please people make a decision! Either you're my friend, either you're not!". And then sometimes I have this impression that the world around me is not real. I don't know if that makes sense. haha
Also on Facebook, people wish me "Happy Birthday!" but I don't talk to them, what does that mean??

I think they treat you like a little kid. When I was about seventeen, a few classmates often acted like they couldn’t tell saucy jokes or use certain words around me, and one of them went as far as to explicitly say there were little kids around. No, there were none, unless, of course, you counted me as one.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2018, 1:37 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Why do so many Aspies think NTs are dimwits stuck in dead-end jobs and have no hobbies or interests and just sit around gossiping or watching mind-numbing reality shows on TV all the time? That is the biggest stereotype I've ever heard.

Lots of NTs have hobbies and interests. I know that as a fact because I know LOTS of NTs, my family are all NTs, I have NT friends, I work with NTs, my boyfriend is NT, and there are more.

^^^^
This

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2018, 1:47 pm

The thing about neurotypicals that can irritate me is their (somewhat frequent) emphasis on social "normality," and the fear of getting embarrassed. Sometimes, I really have to bite the bullet when I feel like I want to talk about the weather in a rather profound way.

It means the world to them to "save face" among their peers.

arth_96
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 May 2018, 2:10 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
arth_96 wrote:

I think they treat you like a little kid. When I was about seventeen, a few classmates often acted like they couldn’t tell saucy jokes or use certain words around me, and one of them went as far as to explicitly say there were little kids around. No, there were none, unless, of course, you counted me as one.

Do you think that's why they behave like that with me? Well people always tell me I'm like a baby (thankfully I have a grown beard now but still look like a baby...). The thing is that I'm 22. I've never thought about making this connection though. I hope people don't treat you like a little kid anymore. :D

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2018, 2:26 pm

Talking so much about so little (" much Ado about nothing")

Talking so much

Saying "I have a question" as interrogative statements require a preface; while exclamatory, imperative and declarative statements do not

How everything is so simple and dichotomous:. Good, bad. Nice, mean. Help, hrrt

How everything is totally dramatic

"Nice to see you" and "how are you?". What is the function of asking.

Vague misleading broad statements with overly broad implications

:D For example:. "you make people uncomfortable with the way you dress!". A homophobic precious lil "person" had the nerve to tell me. (Crossdressing, San Diego 2006) :cry: :roll:

The solar system contains about eight billion people. "People" literally means two or more, but "people" sounds like everyone. Everyone is either:. Comfortable, neither, or uncomfortable.

At the time the speaker told me that, I was 21 years old

Within 21 years, more than two precious lil "people" found it hrrt their eyeballs the way I dress.

Yes but more than two people are uncomfortable when Trump is president of the United States

Then what?

And more than two people are "uncomfortable" when I continue living

Then what?

The speaker sounded like he implied that precious lil "people" have veto authority/power over anything I say or do , on the basis that I (it) makes them "uncomfortable".

:roll:

:cry:

In other words I have no rights or emotions and I am not a person

:skull:

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2018, 3:10 am

Spiderpig wrote:
As far as I know, I'm not asexual, but I can go many hours without remembering sex exists till some normal person brings it up. The reason is the same why I don't usually think of eating caviar---it'd be a complete waste of time.

Normal people think of sex because they do have sex.

It's a little more involved than that.

NTs entire decision making processes seem to revolve around sex and sexual thinking. What movies they want to see, what restaurants they eat at, who they talk to at work, all depends on the possibility or even the remote prospect of sexual contact and/or stimulation. This is the puzzling part. Sex seems to be an obsession for them.

For me, I make decisions on what makes me happy and what keeps my anxiety as low as possible. Sex doesn't even enter into it. Ever.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)