Do you think Aspies are more likely to need glasses?

Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 9:32 pm

Ettina wrote:
I doubt it. Needing glasses has more to do with the physiology of your eyes than with your brain.

I could see refusal of contact lenses being an autistic thing, though.

The brain is driving behaviors and those behaviors can have physiological consequences. It would not suprise me that aspies tend to spend less time outside and thus be less exposed to sunlight, and sunlight is important in the prevention of myopia. So I guess it's likely that there is more likely for aspies to get myopia. I could be wrong though...

Personally I do wear glass for myopia, though in my case genetic is obviously a important factor.

Rudin wrote:
1401b wrote:
No, but we're more likely to wear the glasses for logical reasons rather than go around blind for esthetic reasons.

Haha, if this forum had some sort of karma system I'd +1 you for that.

No not really, aspies are stereotyped a lot and one of the stereotypes is glasses. I don't have glasses and I have Aspergers, but I'll probably need them soon.

People with AS come in all shape, size and variety.

Though obviously you won't be the one that will break the stereotype of "aspergers are math genius". :lol:

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2015, 9:51 pm

I did spend a lot of time inside when I grew up, but I never became myopic.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2015, 12:18 am

someone make a poll so we can find out.

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2015, 7:14 am

Tollorin wrote:
Ettina wrote:
I doubt it. Needing glasses has more to do with the physiology of your eyes than with your brain.

I could see refusal of contact lenses being an autistic thing, though.

The brain is driving behaviors and those behaviors can have physiological consequences. It would not suprise me that aspies tend to spend less time outside and thus be less exposed to sunlight, and sunlight is important in the prevention of myopia. So I guess it's likely that there is more likely for aspies to get myopia. I could be wrong though...

Personally I do wear glass for myopia, though in my case genetic is obviously a important factor.

Rudin wrote:
1401b wrote:
No, but we're more likely to wear the glasses for logical reasons rather than go around blind for esthetic reasons.

Haha, if this forum had some sort of karma system I'd +1 you for that.

No not really, aspies are stereotyped a lot and one of the stereotypes is glasses. I don't have glasses and I have Aspergers, but I'll probably need them soon.

People with AS come in all shape, size and variety.

Though obviously you won't be the one that will break the stereotype of "aspergers are math genius". :lol:

Thanks.

I may not break the stereotype but some people with AS on the site are terrible at mathematics.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

Grahzmann
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Aug 2015, 7:52 am

viewtopic.php?t=154893

This thread would seem to suggest that a higher percentage of Aspies wear glasses compared to NTs. I remember reading that certain vision impediments are somewhat more common in autistic people as well. It's true for me anyway, though I'm undiagnosed.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2015, 8:06 am

Grahzmann wrote:
http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=154893

This thread would seem to suggest that a higher percentage of Aspies wear glasses compared to NTs. I remember reading that certain vision impediments are somewhat more common in autistic people as well. It's true for me anyway, though I'm undiagnosed.

I wouldn't say that alone would suggest that. There's too much to really factor in. Not everyone on this site has voted and those wearing glasses are more likely to have clicked the link in the first place. The average age on this site is quite high I think and there are a lot of users in their 50s or older who are likely to be long sighted with their age. And people on the internet probably are more likely to have glasses than those not on the internet for a large number of reasons, not saying that screens cause the need to wear glasses/contacts. Also those who wear contacts probably voted too. Too many factors to say "more autistic people than NT people need glasses".

Katherington
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Feb 2016, 11:50 am

I don't think aspergers has any effect of whether or not you need glasses. The reason I don't wear contacts is partly because I am astigmatic thus my my prescription is really complex and does not translate well into contacts, and partly because I cannot get contacts it.

Carl_Illingworth88
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jun 2018, 7:56 pm

Here's my take. I'm not diagnosed but I'm definitely not NT and recently discovered I may certainly have Aspergers and possibly ADHD. It does make sense and I find I'm better at connecting with other Aspies and more intelligent people. I don't wear glasses and my friend who has ADHD also doesn't. But I am short sighted. I'm not sure if it is related to high blood sugar from a poor diet that I have resorted to to cope with stress and depression, or all the stimulation around in the modern world that has taken affect on my health.

I do think there is a lot of Aspies who wear glasses and I go as far to say that anyone who wears glasses most likely has some autistic traits and I believe anyone with Aspergers who doesn't wear glasses probably has some kind of vision impairment but not always severe enough to need correction.

LisaM1031
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jun 2018, 8:42 pm

I’ve wondered about this as well since I am very nearsighted myself. A lot of people on the spectrum seem to have connective tissue problems, such as low muscle tone and hyper mobility. Who’s to say that this doesn’t also affect muscles around the eyes, causing them to change shape? It does seem that it’s more common for aspies to need glasses than not. Although I have known a decent number of NT’s who have needed glasses so it’s not a 1:1 correlation.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2018, 10:43 pm

Okay, I'm old. I remember "back in the day" when it seems a much larger percentage of the population, whatever their neurology, wore glasses. Even with that, there were so many females who would go around seeing life "in a blur "because they did not want to look "ugly." [old saying was 'men never make passes at girls who wear glasses." I remember in high school so many switching to contact lens, and in the past 30 years ago people started getting the lasik surgeries.

In my opinion, probably there are in fact more Autistic than NTs' needing vision correction[ either through lasik surgery , glasses, or contacts, but not as many as it would seem.

Autistic people, for various reasons, are less likely to get lasik surgery, less likely to wear contact lenses, and less likely to wear their glasses as often as they should.

Me? I have been far-sighted for years. But I cannot seem to go 5 mintes without readinf something or look at it in more detail. For that reason, if I am not actually wearing my glasses, they are perched on my head [ like some do with sun glasses] Now that I am old, I can get away with a lot more things like that without receiving peoples' disaproval.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2018, 5:54 am

I don't usually tie everything with having ASD, but glasses seem to be noticeably common among not only people with ASD but also people with Downs syndrome. And I'm talking about ASD and DS people under 40, as lots of people over 40 require glasses as they get older.
Literally, whenever I've seen an Aspie on the TV, online or in real life, 99% wear glasses. Even the majority of Aspies on this site where glasses. I need glasses for long-distance reading, but otherwise I don't require glasses for everyday living.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2018, 6:04 am

The majority of people, period, seem to wear glasses. Definitely not a Spectrum thing.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2018, 6:29 am

People who strains their eyes a lot are more likely to need glasses. :lol:
I'm sure it has little to do with having 'weaker' eyes, or being less healthy.
Either neurology would likely have the same physiological odds of needing a pair of glasses.

But what are the odds an aspie would strain their eyes into their respective focus/interest longer and more often compare to NTs? :P Maybe that's why.
What are the odds aspies ended up being too much of a picky eater or refusing to go out? What are the odds that aspies ended up with comfort zones that may screw their eyesight?

I'm moderately nearsighted by the way. And getting worse too -- it's my fault. It's not directly because of autism, it's because I focus a lot close up and neglect myself in a way.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2018, 10:15 am

If you are the stereotyped autistic and you are hyper-focusing on a screen playing computer games all day it could mess up your eyes.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2018, 12:35 pm

I wear both glasses and contact lenses. I can’t see properly without either wearing glasses or contact lenses. Without glasses everything seems a distant away or blurry. I have had that probably since I was 4 years old.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2018, 12:41 pm

Myopia is almost as common as dental caries.

Probably, at least half the population have some sort of slight vision disorder, needing glasses.