Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2020, 1:00 pm

Eating is much easier since I had my missing teeth replaced with implants and crowns. :D

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2020, 1:06 pm

Over 30 years ago I got caps on all my teeth except for a couple of back ones that had gold fillings because the dentist said I grind my teeth.
They still serve me quite well after all these years.
I would recomend that.
I think caps and crowns are the same thing.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2020, 1:37 pm

skibum wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
skibum wrote:
I would be much more concerned about the health issues of having bad teeth than social acceptability.

My stepdaughter and granddaughters don't make an issue of it . Would they be pleased if I had my teeth done? Yes- but it would have nothing to do with social acceptability .
They are probably more concerned about the health risks as well. Bad teeth can really do serious health damage to your whole body. Many people don't realize that they can get big infections that can affect their whole bodies and even heart attacks from poor dental hygiene. If you have any way to get dental work done, that would really be good. Your health is the most important thing.

I think I'd be more relaxed about teeth extraction if I could be knocked out with gas ,rather than having a general anaesthetic . They never give enough of the latter .

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2020, 1:45 pm

skibum wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
Why does it matter what ones teeth look like? I would be tempted to find a joke shop and buy some drakula fangs! Then smile!
But teeth appearance does not matter. It is the heart that matters.
Yes, and Dracula fangs would be hilarious. Appearances should not matter but the health risks are important. Also the ability to bite and chew and making sure that the jawbones are strong and not deteriorating are very important.

I'm fairly certain I have TMJ . My jaw can sometimes click when eating . It can also happen when a bit of food is stuck and I'm trying to get it to move . Luckily it doesn't hurt . Opening my mouth wide can be hard , as it can make me want to retch .

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2020, 6:11 am

skibum wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
Why does it matter what ones teeth look like? I would be tempted to find a joke shop and buy some drakula fangs! Then smile!
But teeth appearance does not matter. It is the heart that matters.
Yes, and Dracula fangs would be hilarious. Appearances should not matter but the health risks are important. Also the ability to bite and chew and making sure that the jawbones are strong and not deteriorating are very important.

I used to have dracula teeth! :twisted:

Not anymore, though. Braces...

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jan 2020, 2:50 pm

Come to Britain you can have as bad teeth as you want :) :)

jimmyjazzuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jan 2020, 2:57 pm

In all seriousness its important to fix bleeding issues from brushing, if you get that, to stop any potential infections: thats the first thing. A hygienist 2x a year will help you if you can afford it.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2020, 3:14 pm

Some people get teeth trouble, especially as they get older, but can't afford the dentist bill so they don't bother getting their teeth sorted properly. This can even happen to people who look after their teeth well (although the risk is lower).

I suppose having bad teeth that show up vividly when you smile isn't very appealing, but I think front teeth are easier to clean than your back teeth.
My bottom teeth are crooked, and my mum's always telling me to get them straightened. But I heard that if you're over 18 it is very expensive to get braces fitted. It can cost thousands, like maybe up to £18,000 or more, and I don't have that kind of money even if I pay it bit by bit. I know your teeth are important but my bottom teeth look clean and aren't causing me any pain or trouble, and you can't really see them when I smile, so it is not going to be at the top of my list.