Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2020, 9:48 pm

How do you find explaining to yourself what you feel when you aren't sure what it is you feel, coming from someone who can't relate it to like something I've felt before like a time or place etc.. I have no other way to explain it than above, hope it makes sense... Like I'm kinda stuck on a simple yes or no choice, simple stuff.. ? Right.. wth please share your thoughts or input .. I mean it makes sense to me what I wrote.. sigh.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2020, 9:54 pm

Danusaurus wrote:
How do you find explaining to yourself what you feel when you aren't sure what it is you feel, coming from someone who can't relate it to like something I've felt before like a time or place etc.. I have no other way to explain it than above, hope it makes sense... Like I'm kinda stuck on a simple yes or no choice, simple stuff.. ? Right.. wth please share your thoughts or input .. I mean it makes sense to me what I wrote.. sigh.

[color=#0077aa] You likely have, Alexithyma. You can learn in time to recognize your emotions but often times you still will have problems expressing them. I have alexithyma and alot of people on the spectrum do as well. You might sense your emotions but not know what they are. You also can try to see how your emotions affect your actions. Writing down you're thoughts in general.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexithym ... 20relating. [color]

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2020, 10:38 pm

Thanks heaps.. I kinda get it. Tbh I'm lost for words that someone actually understood what I wrote. Blessed. Thanks again.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2020, 10:43 pm

Danusaurus wrote:
Thanks heaps.. I kinda get it. Tbh I'm lost for words that someone actually understood what I wrote. Blessed. Thanks again.

No prob. :thumright:

timf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 8:46 am

I think one might further differentiate those who are unable to recognize emotions in oneself or others, from those who are able to recognize emotions but whose focus is such that the emotions of others are not often considered and the emotions of self are not often aroused.

For example, I have no problem being angry, but often pass an external stimuli through a process of analysis before it touches that which angers. Other times it seems to go directly to an anger response. One might experience reflex anger or considered anger, but there is also the possibility that some stimuli that usually produce anger may not do so.

For those situations where no emotional reflex is triggered, it might seem that there is difficulty in identifying the emotion, but consideration should be given that not every situation gives rise to an emotional response.

Advertising has been very successful in getting people to associate emotional responses with products. If one is consciously aware that this is being done in a particular situation, this awareness can diminish the emotional response or even cause it to fail to be evoked.

Aspergers may provide a better ability to resist the reflex triggering of emotions. This could be considered as different from the inability to recognize emotions.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 9:47 am

I’m not understanding the question.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 10:01 am

I think the OP is saying he has difficulty in explaining how he feels to others.

I certainly have experienced that all my life.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2020, 10:03 am

timf wrote:
I think one might further differentiate those who are unable to recognize emotions in oneself or others, from those who are able to recognize emotions but whose focus is such that the emotions of others are not often considered and the emotions of self are not often aroused.

For example, I have no problem being angry, but often pass an external stimuli through a process of analysis before it touches that which angers. Other times it seems to go directly to an anger response. One might experience reflex anger or considered anger, but there is also the possibility that some stimuli that usually produce anger may not do so.

For those situations where no emotional reflex is triggered, it might seem that there is difficulty in identifying the emotion, but consideration should be given that not every situation gives rise to an emotional response.

Advertising has been very successful in getting people to associate emotional responses with products. If one is consciously aware that this is being done in a particular situation, this awareness can diminish the emotional response or even cause it to fail to be evoked.

Aspergers may provide a better ability to resist the reflex triggering of emotions. This could be considered as different from the inability to recognize emotions.

What is your point?

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2020, 10:48 am

Just for being male, I was expected to be numb. When I tried to get healthier, I would use a list of emotions to read through and pick the closest match. I learned to associate my speedometer reading with anger when it was higher than usual.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2020, 11:00 am

Danusaurus wrote:
I have more trouble explaining my feelings to others without me offending them or them offending me.

So, most of the time, I don't.

:cry: Oh, no ... everything's fine ... just fine ... really ... I'm okay ...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2020, 11:23 am

Danusaurus wrote:

I can fully relate to this. :) I was never able to explain to the doctors what the shutdowns were in a way they understand. Other things as well.
Some things I have no problems with relating to things and feelings, but in one or two areas I can feel feelings but not know what they are? Anxiety was one of them. Only now I know what the feeling is, yet I have had it on and off since I was a child, and especially every morning before school or before work etc. It was rare not to feel it except with days off. Yet it is paralizing at times, and the wierd thing has been is that others have not sensed it in me so they can't tell? Only my Mum can tell. My youngest brother can tell when I get in a bit of a mood which is more of an inability to cope. But most people wont be able to tell this and then it turns into a shutsown and they may see me making an excuse for lying on the floor before I am fully shut down.
Uhmm. Could this "Mood" (Brother calls it that) be some sort of surpressed meltdown? Often happens when plans change. Who knows!

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2020, 11:44 am

My therapist gave me a list of words to choose from when she would ask me how I was feeling. I would pick what felt to be the closest matches at the time. Even then it was hard to explain how I felt.

irreversibility
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Jul 2020, 11:47 am

I can totally relate to the question. Yes, I find it difficult to describe my feelings. Its probably re-enforced due to having limited number of coping strategies, so I jump right to, 'This is what I did last time to feel better'. Trying to figure out what I wanted out of a situation and how I feel about the actually outcome is difficult.

Yes, right down your thoughts! Write, journal, blog, post, type, draw cartoons, do what ever works for you! :)

leiselmum
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jul 2020, 4:32 am

I think my daughter has this and its a condition called alexithymia, inability to express thoughts and feelings. She can rarely tell me what she thinks or feels. Can’t express socially. We get better with it via the iPad, but its a long haul.