Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2020, 11:18 pm

Should Autism criteria be changed, so that it includes Broad Autism Phenotype as well?

Because it is possible to have some form of Autism with social skills

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2020, 1:37 pm

FranzOren wrote:
Should Autism criteria be changed, so that it includes Broad Autism Phenotype as well?

No, because It's not a disability. Don't want to start the i'm more autistic than you debate. But being socailly awkward doesn't make you autistic autistic is a lot more than being socially awkward. Secondly what would it be called Autism Spectrum Disorder Level 0.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2020, 3:36 pm

First of all, BAP doesn't necessarily refer to people who have "social skills."

The whole point of the BAP concept is that people who don't fit criteria for an autism diagnosis may have autistic traits.

Since BAP was specifically created to describe people who don't fit criteria for an autism diagnosis, there's absolutely no point in changing diagnostic autism criteria to include BAP. It would be like changing diagnostic criteria for cancer to include people who don't have cancer; the cancer diagnosis would become meaningless.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2020, 4:04 pm

starkid wrote:
First of all, BAP doesn't necessarily refer to people who have "social skills."

The whole point of the BAP concept is that people who don't fit criteria for an autism diagnosis may have autistic traits.

Since BAP was specifically created to describe people who don't fit criteria for an autism diagnosis, there's absolutely no point in changing diagnostic autism criteria to include BAP. It would be like changing diagnostic criteria for cancer to include people who don't have cancer; the cancer diagnosis would become meaningless.

Like putting people who have benign tumors or cysts into the “cancer” category because they have some of the same symptoms (like a lump where it doesn’t belong), but they don’t actually have cancer and need either different treatment or no treatment (depending on whether it’s causing any harm or not).

I’m always torn on issues like this, because on the one hand, people should be able to get all the assistance they need (which usually requires a diagnosis), but on the other, a line has to be drawn somewhere or the diagnosis becomes pointless.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2020, 4:15 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
I’m always torn on issues like this, because on the one hand, people should be able to get all the assistance they need (which usually requires a diagnosis), but on the other, a line has to be drawn somewhere or the diagnosis becomes pointless.

People whose BAP traits are serious enough should be able to get a diagnosis other than autism: Social Communication Disorder, Sensory Processing Disorder, Central Auditory Processing Disorder, Receptive/Expressive Language Impairment, etc. each encompass some but not all autism traits.

People who are BAP but have no clinically significant disability, past or present, shouldn't have a diagnosis.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2020, 8:05 pm

FranzOren wrote:

No because BAP isn't autism, it's just traits.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2020, 8:23 pm

starkid wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:

People whose BAP traits are serious enough should be able to get a diagnosis other than autism: Social Communication Disorder, Sensory Processing Disorder, Central Auditory Processing Disorder, Receptive/Expressive Language Impairment, etc. each encompass some but not all autism traits.

People who are BAP but have no clinically significant disability, past or present, shouldn't have a diagnosis.

Ah, I wasn’t familiar with most of those diagnoses - thank you for teaching me something today :)

In that case, then yes, BAP people who have significant trouble because of the symptoms they do have should qualify for diagnoses that fit their particular “problem areas.” I completely agree that people who are not impaired in any way by their symptoms should not get a diagnosis, it just becomes a meaningless label then.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Barbibul
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jul 2020, 3:48 am

FranzOren wrote:

Autism criteria will include Broad Autism Phenotype and even more.

Yes, many autistic people have social skills and should not be any more excluded from autism criteria.

eyelessshiver
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jul 2020, 11:57 am

There are some variations here (of a given person with a condition that has been or would be diagnosed in the affirmative by professionals, in this case we'll use ASD as an example).

1) diagnosed -> seeks help
2) diagnosed -> doesn't seek help
3) self-diagnosed -> seeks help -> assessment too expensive
4) self-diagnosed -> doesn't seek help
5) undiagnosed -> seeks help -> assessment too expensive
6) undiagnosed -> doesn't seek help

killerBunny
Raven
Raven

30 Jul 2020, 1:24 pm

the definition is already so loose , anyone with issues will say they are a little on the spectrum. If your life isn’t impacted , you probably should stop trying to find a label to supplement public domain personality quirks.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2020, 4:56 pm

eyelessshiver wrote:
1) diagnosed -> seeks help
2) diagnosed -> doesn't seek help
3) self-diagnosed -> seeks help -> assessment too expensive
4) self-diagnosed -> doesn't seek help
5) undiagnosed -> seeks help -> assessment too expensive
6) undiagnosed -> doesn't seek help

Self-diagnosed and undiagnosed are in the same category.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 4:27 pm

Thank you