Which of your autistic traits do you dislike the most?

Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Pick a category for the trait you dislike the most.
repetitive behavior 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
restricted behavior 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
social issues 39%  39%  [ 17 ]
communication issues 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
sensory issues 16%  16%  [ 7 ]
executive dysfunction issues 18%  18%  [ 8 ]
I can't decide on just one. 20%  20%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 44

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2020, 8:11 pm

I clicked the "can't choose just one" category. I would have to say communication, social issues, and repetitive behaviors are my top three.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2020, 8:38 pm

AriaEclipse wrote:
I had to think about this one for a while but I think my answer would have to be the feeling that I'll never fit in or belong anywhere in my life when it comes to people and groups, the feeling that I'm always annoying people and bothering them with my presence in general....like I'm a burden, and the feeling that my overall outcome in life will be living alone forever and never having any sort of steady relationship (romantic or not) ever in my life.

I guess in a nutshell my answer is insecurity, if that's an Autism trait. If not, I'd go with social complications.

Online relationships are better, for us aspies, than RLR in my opinion.

Romofan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2020, 8:48 pm

I picked "executive dysfunction", because my other traits may be annoying or depressing, but my inability to plan, organize and manage time and space has been devastating to both my school and work careers.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2020, 11:55 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
I hate all of them, but I’d have to say sensory issues are the worst for me. I can’t even take a proper bath or shower because of my issues with water (which seems to be a relatively new thing), usually mostly shut down in places like restaurants and stores due to overstimulation, can’t enjoy a concert even if it’s my very favorite band which I’m currently obsessed with, hypersensitive to humidity (and to a lesser extent, heat - the problem really is with sweating even a tiny bit, which I think ties to my water/feeling wet thing), can’t bear the sound of all the cicadas in late summer even inside the house, can’t tune out “background noise”... It affects so many things in so many ways. And because hearing is my primary sense and I constantly use it to monitor my surroundings, I freak out if my hearing is dampened in any way, which eliminates solutions like earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones.

Followed closely by social and communication issues, but I deal with that by just avoiding social interaction whenever I can, but I have no way to deal with some of my sensory issues. And right behind that, executive functioning.

Second only to not being able to have a proper bath/shower (I guess I kind of have a sponge bath, only using a wet washcloth instead of a sponge, and washing my hair is very unpleasant no matter how I try to do it) without a meltdown/shutdown, is the need to be constantly monitoring everything by listening. That’s sort of tied into sensory issues since it’s due to my heightened hearing being better at monitoring than my eyes, but having to be aware of everything is not - not sure if that would fall into another category, or may be just me personally with exactly zero relation to my autism, or is due to another condition I don’t know I have. But it would be soooooo much better if I could just use earplugs/noise-cancelling headphones like most people with hypersensitive hearing do (though apparently covering my ears with my hands/fingers is okay, maybe because that gives me some immediate control of covered, partially covered, uncovered? :shrug: Even I don’t know for sure.)

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jul 2020, 12:28 am

I'm in the can't decide category. Sensory issues and executive dysfunction are probably joint worst for me. I have to limit the amount of time I spend indulging my interests otherwise I just suffer from sensory overload and the whole experience itself becomes overwhelming rather than enjoyable. I wish I had worked this out many years ago. Executive dysfunction just makes simple everyday tasks feel like wading through treacle.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2020, 12:43 am

It wasn't on the list but:
The literalness. Like f*ck even when I get a joke or a sarcasm, I still feel the need to mention the bit of what my literal mind thinks of it. I mean I get the joke but I still feel the need to point out how in some contexts it wouldn't actually make sense. And it's like those are the times I feel like why can't I just be in the moment and let it go, why does crap like that have to stick on my mind I don't need to say the part about how in some contexts the joke doesn't work, I just need to laugh at the immediate humor and not take it totally serious. But that is just one example of the problem I am trying to describe but certainly not the only way it manifests.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2020, 1:24 am

I couldnt decide on just one, a three way tie, communication, sensory and executive functioning.

I dont dislike them as such, but I get frustrated with the options I have because of them.

Communication: unjumbling my inner dialogue to translate it into something others can understand and unjumbling what comes in also.

Sensory: even with planning what to wear, it's hard to anticipate just how I will react to a hair or bit of lint on a given day, or how forgetting my sunglasses on a rainy day in winter will impact on me etc.

Executive functioning: so many possibilities hit a brick wall because of this one.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2020, 5:33 am

Hmm, hard to pick out of the options given. I'd say the symptom of autism I hate the most is losing control of frustration. But the cause of this symptom is not triggered by any of the options in the poll. I usually get frustrated when someone says something that triggers me, if I'm already in a bad mood. But I suppose NTs get angry too.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2020, 2:31 pm

starkid wrote:
Pieplup wrote:
burnout not an option

That's because burnout is not autism-specific. I wanted people to vote for the core issue, whatever caused the burnout.

I'd have to choose exectutive dysfunction. Because not only is it more than a bit annoying ti can also be dangerous. Last night I almost choked to death, when I took my medicine and forgot my drink was in the room with me. So I walked to one room then had to walk back. I leave things open all the time leave lights on. Just straight up forget what i'm doing in about 10 seconds half the time.