Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2020, 11:12 pm

I'm very excited, I got a call this morning from the company that I'm on the waiting list for a service dog through, and they said they've matched me with a dog, a black lab named Star. I get to go and meet her on Friday, then in December I'll go down to their facility every day for two weeks for intensive training, after which I'll be able to take her home. I was so surprised because I didn't expect to be receiving a dog for another year at least, so this is great news. My only concern is introducing the dog to my very shy cat.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2020, 11:17 pm

For some reason, Star seems like a fitting name for you :chin: :mrgreen: .

Congratulations!

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2020, 11:21 pm

AuroraBorealisGazer wrote:
For some reason, Star seems like a fitting name for you :chin: :mrgreen: .

Congratulations!

Lol I thought so too, thank you! :D

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2020, 5:31 am

Aww. Lovely! Tell him "Woof" from us. He will know what we mean. :D But seriously, I hope he is a blessing. I think your cat should get on. It may take a little while for them to bond. :)

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2020, 1:21 pm

That is so awesome!! !! !! ! I am so excited for you! :D :D :D :D :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
Don't worry about your cat. It will all work out fine. You know what I am talking about.

Wreck It Ralph

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2020, 6:40 pm

skibum wrote:
That is so awesome!! ! ! ! ! ! I am so excited for you! :D :D :D :D :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
Don't worry about your cat. It will all work out fine. You know what I am talking about.

Thank you! :D :heart: I’m sure the cat will be fine, it’ll just take some adjusting for her.

Chachi11
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Nov 2020, 8:39 pm

Congratulations! That is very exciting. A lab is a wonderful addition to any life (well,& any dog too...or cat also- ok any animal at all :D ), & a service animal even more so. Service dogs are trained to have great cat manners. So your shy cat may even ultimately end up with a new friend.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2020, 10:38 pm

Sweet. :D
From what I've seen among disabled folks on Tumblr it would be a good idea to start now on coming up with a plan how to deal with people who insist on petting your service dog while she is working, there seem to be a number of the public who can not, or just flat refuse to, process the concept of, "Leave the dog alone while they are working and doing their service dog thing".

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2020, 5:04 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Sweet. :D
From what I've seen among disabled folks on Tumblr it would be a good idea to start now on coming up with a plan how to deal with people who insist on petting your service dog while she is working, there seem to be a number of the public who can not, or just flat refuse to, process the concept of, "Leave the dog alone while they are working and doing their service dog thing".

That’s a good idea, I was planning on making business cards to give to people with her name, breed, the fact that they can’t pet her, what she’s for (generally speaking) etc. just answering all the common questions I’ve heard people with service dogs get asked.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2020, 9:13 pm

That is wonderful news. I am happy for you.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2020, 1:17 am

StarTrekker wrote:
I was planning on making business cards to give to people with her name, breed, the fact that they can’t pet her, what she’s for (generally speaking) etc. just answering all the common questions I’ve heard people with service dogs get asked.

Sounds like a workable idea! :D
And a place to have fun designing the cards.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2020, 6:36 pm

Exciting news! Hope yesterday went well with meeting Star for the first time :). I too was a little worried about how my 2 cats would get along with my newly adopted dog, and I introduced them gradually ... within a few short days, they were fine together. This is wonderful news for you! :heart:

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2020, 11:32 pm

Over the years we have always kept one cat and one dog. Whenever one of them dies I replace them. Therefore I go through a ritual where I introduce them. Many times I will pet the cat and then pet the dog intermixing their scents together. Normally I force the dog to lay down and constrain him/her using my legs. Then I take the cat and let the dog sniff the cat. In the introduction process, it is important for each animal to become familiar with the other's scent. I will also pet each animal in order to keep them calm. It normally takes a few sessions.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 4:05 pm

Juliette wrote:
Exciting news! Hope yesterday went well with meeting Star for the first time :). I too was a little worried about how my 2 cats would get along with my newly adopted dog, and I introduced them gradually ... within a few short days, they were fine together. This is wonderful news for you! :heart:

It was a lot of fun getting to meet her! She's amazing, she's playful and excitable when she's not working, but the minute she has a task to do, she's calm, alert and focused. She walks beautifully on a leash, and I got to try out some of her tasks with her. She did deep pressure on my lap and it felt so relaxing. I can't wait to start training with her in two weeks.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 5:07 pm

So good to hear! X

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 9:15 pm

Sweet Peas! :mrgreen: :P

We need an Om Nom emoji.