Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2020, 3:01 pm

I'm a level two, and I have trouble talking sometimes. When I get stressed or angry or upset, I can literally feel my mouth becoming paralyzed and I become unable to produce words, despite having a clear idea of what I want to say in my head. I use a text to speech app on my iPad and phone, as well as an electronic pad called the boogie board jot, that I will write on when I can't speak. Does anyone else have this difficulty?

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

holymackerel
Toucan
Toucan

01 Dec 2020, 3:07 pm

I get this. It has become a real problem since my lecturer seems to think it is ok to make us do class presentations every few weeks and giving us about half an hours notice to start research and prepare for it. I have a bit of social anxiety, so if it is not a situation I am used to having like with new people or new situations it is worse then as well.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2020, 3:16 pm

holymackerel wrote:
I get this. It has become a real problem since my lecturer seems to think it is ok to make us do class presentations every few weeks and giving us about half an hours notice to start research and prepare for it. I have a bit of social anxiety, so if it is not a situation I am used to having like with new people or new situations it is worse then as well.

That sounds awful, do you have a diagnosis? Can you ask for accommodations to get more advanced warning before you have to get up and speak? I would never be able to deal with that situation.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

holymackerel
Toucan
Toucan

01 Dec 2020, 3:53 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
holymackerel wrote:

That sounds awful, do you have a diagnosis? Can you ask for accommodations to get more advanced warning before you have to get up and speak? I would never be able to deal with that situation.

Yes I have a diagnosis. I have contacted the college to talk about accommodations again, and I am going to make the request.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2020, 5:47 pm

It's called selective mutism. I don't have that problem myself but kind of an idea about it.
I hope this helps you a bit:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=391652&p=8638508&#p8638508

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2020, 10:03 pm

I have very similar problems (also probably level 2, to the best of my knowledge I wasn’t given a number at diagnosis, though). There are two kinds of inability to speak that I experience. One is where I know exactly what I want to say but no matter how hard I try, my vocal cords will not respond. The other is where I can’t even come up with words. I still live with my parents and they are dead set against me trying to use a text-to-speech app on my phone or anything (no matter how many times I tell them otherwise when I can speak, they are convinced that I’m always capable of speech and simply don’t want to talk), so I try to communicate nonverbally (gestures, nodding, smiling, etc.) when it happens, otherwise I tend to just be ignored and left to my silence.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2020, 2:31 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
I have very similar problems (also probably level 2, to the best of my knowledge I wasn’t given a number at diagnosis, though). There are two kinds of inability to speak that I experience. One is where I know exactly what I want to say but no matter how hard I try, my vocal cords will not respond. The other is where I can’t even come up with words. I still live with my parents and they are dead set against me trying to use a text-to-speech app on my phone or anything (no matter how many times I tell them otherwise when I can speak, they are convinced that I’m always capable of speech and simply don’t want to talk), so I try to communicate nonverbally (gestures, nodding, smiling, etc.) when it happens, otherwise I tend to just be ignored and left to my silence.

I'm sorry to hear that. You should talk to your parents but only one of them at a time and try to stay calm if doing so. They need to become aware of your problem and that it may happen to you if talking to them. :roll:

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2020, 5:50 pm

quite an extreme wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that. You should talk to your parents but only one of them at a time and try to stay calm if doing so. They need to become aware of your problem and that it may happen to you if talking to them. :roll:

I’ve tried. The last time I tried talking to my dad about it, he interrupted me mid-sentence to say “No, I think you just don’t want to talk.” Fortunately it tends to come on with social anxiety or being overwhelmed, which happen less since I’m home all the time these days and usually only interacting with my family.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2020, 6:27 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:

I'm so sorry your parents don't understand, dragons. FWIW, I believe you. Please consider me a gladly receptive audience of your writings! (No pressure, though.)

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2020, 6:30 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
I’ve tried. The last time I tried talking to my dad about it, he interrupted me mid-sentence to say “No, I think you just don’t want to talk.” Fortunately it tends to come on with social anxiety or being overwhelmed, which happen less since I’m home all the time these days and usually only interacting with my family.

Try to talk to your mom. Men are sometimes a bit more stubborn and very unaware of the emotional conditions of others. May be your mom knows how to tell it your dad once she understands your problem. But one problem may remain despite of this. Once they are really angry on you they will less likely become aware of your condition and your stress with it again. :? But hey - you are a bright and nice girl and one day you'll overcome that sh*t!

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2020, 8:00 pm

KimD wrote:
I'm so sorry your parents don't understand, dragons. FWIW, I believe you. Please consider me a gladly receptive audience of your writings! (No pressure, though.)

This made me thinking about the differences of me and you Kim. I wouldn't even care about if sombody shows any empathy regarding my feelings nor would I give a sh*t on the trials of others to comfore me. :mrgreen: But I care very much if somebody is on my side or against me and this decides how I behave towards him or her. I guess it's a special thing that is related to Asperger's but I could be also a thing of men at all. But because of this I would never ever really try to comfore her but I would always try to solve the problems. In her case I wished I could protect her a in such situations even that it may sound kind of silly because I'm living quite far away and I don't even know more about her than that she is a really nice way but has to deal with a lot of problems. :oops:

Offset
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Dec 2020, 8:52 am

I go back and forth as to whether or not my speaking voice (which my vocal tone, pitch, flow, and accent/style, is very peculiar and unique, and doesn't match my face at all.) is just that way because that's just how I speak, or if there is something else related to that, or a mixture of both.

I do know that sometimes, I'll enunciate and say certain words faster or slower than others, and I find this confusing. I usually try to think before I speak, but sometimes the flow and tonality when I speak comes out the way it does.

I just learned to accept that's the way I talk I suppose. That's just my experience on this.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2020, 7:14 am

One of my boys has that. He was diagnosed many years ago so I don't know what level he would be. My husband who is NT is not good with speech either, so he probably got it from daddy. My other son and me talk constantly. Can't really imagine what it's like to have trouble speaking. 8O I tried to encourage him to express himself with other ways like writing, playing music or art. But he didn't like any of those either. He's rather the opposite of me in personality so I'm quite stumped sometimes. He has weekly speech therapy since he was 3. I don't know what else I can do to help him.

SC5017
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Dec 2020, 8:49 am

How do you get on with phones?
I am having a lot of trouble at the moment because every organisation/company in the UK seems to be making the telephone the only way of contacting them. Not only do I get distressed if I try speaking to them, even over something apparently simple, but I cannot deal with the immediacy of replying to what they say. I find email the best way of communicating. As I am seldom out of the house I have no use for a smartphone, and I wouldn't be able to afford anyway it as I can no longer work. The worst are the banks because they will not allow a named person to speak for me.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2020, 12:11 pm

I have difficulty talking sometimes. People expect a fast response and sometimes I have to let out a small grunt before I can get my words out. There are other times that my accent can be very thick.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2020, 11:55 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
I'm a level two, and I have trouble talking sometimes. When I get stressed or angry or upset, I can literally feel my mouth becoming paralyzed and I become unable to produce words, despite having a clear idea of what I want to say in my head. I use a text to speech app on my iPad and phone, as well as an electronic pad called the boogie board jot, that I will write on when I can't speak. Does anyone else have this difficulty?

Outside of social anxiety i notice alot of times my ability to put things into words sort of ebbs and flows. Alot of times i just dont know how to explain things most of the time when people ask me to define something im unable to. But as far as becoming unable to speak entirely no. All the times when im unable to speak about something its better explained by other things. Social anxiety etc