Which "social rule" do you detest the most?

Page 3 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

FreeRoger
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Apr 2021, 7:32 pm

Small talk
White Lies

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 7:59 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I don't like how a lot of people just listen to others in general without wanting any evidence.

Take it from me. If there's one way to piss-off NTs its to persistently ask them for evidence or to clarify a statement because you took it literally.

NTs communicate using short-cuts and heuristics which (out of politeness) in social conversation are not mean't to be interrogated, If you disagree then you politely move on to another topic.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 10:57 pm

The fact that when I have to listen to someone else badmouthing their family member, I can neither:
1) agree with them about their sibling/spouse/parent being terrible (apparently it's rude)
2) disagree about their sibling/spouse/parent being terrible (apparently that makes me a cold friend)

the only way I can figure to get out of those situations is to say things like my therapist "How did that make you feel?" or "I can see why you'd be frustrated by the situation".

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 11:49 pm

the rule that says men have to be alphas or act like them. the rule that says men must not show softer emotions, must never exhibit self-doubt or worry or fear. the rule that says people must hustle to serve the capitalist system and their capitalist masters and can never question this system.

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Apr 2021, 2:32 am

auntblabby wrote:
the rule that says men have to be alphas or act like them. the rule that says men must not show softer emotions, must never exhibit self-doubt or worry or fear. the rule that says people must hustle to serve the capitalist system and their capitalist masters and can never question this system.

The truth about the system sounds like a movie or conspiracy theory?!?

traven
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2021, 2:34 am

auntblabby wrote:

i never seen that much,
leeching men is far more common,
even if they have plenty, there's no excuse too low to trick you out of something they want

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2021, 2:51 am

Technic1 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

The truth about the system sounds like a movie or conspiracy theory?!?

check out the movie "they live."

ronglxy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Apr 2021, 9:28 am

That I'm expected to acknowledge another's presence, and sacrifice something of me (in wondering & wonderment states, especially), to do so.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2021, 10:33 am

You have to repress negative emotions and only express the positive emotions les precious lil "people" have the nerve to ask you "are you ok?" And make unjustified comments about your facial expressions

PatrickJane
Raven
Raven

24 Apr 2021, 11:45 am

The social rule i hate arguably the most is that saying the truth is not appropriate in certain situations. Close second would be the notion that arguments from authority are inherently valuable, which is just ridiculous.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2021, 1:02 am

Jayo wrote:
I came across the passage below on the Quora forum, and thought "how true is this..." about how popularity in the NT dominated world corresponds to truth somehow (sigh). Now THAT is a rule I think we could definitely live without!! ! And I can say that I've fallen victim to this more than once, including one time in uni/college in the '90s, pre-diagnosis, when others spread nasty rumours that I'd gotten really drunk at a party and puked on others one time, when no such thing ever happened, as I'd never gotten in a situation where I was too drunk to remember anything and I think I'd have ended up in a holding cell or hospital overnight if something like that ever happened. Trouble is, surprise surprise, the couple of people who spread the rumours had more "social currency" even though they were about as credible as your average politician...

Luckily, I never had anybody make extreme false claims like I was a pedo or something - I don't know how I'd react if someone did...
Well, that's the NT world for you :roll:

The Quora passage:
The “rule” I dislike the most about neurotypical socializing is that somebody can just say a lie about you, behind your back or to your face, and whether or not others “believe” the lie depends on the strength of your social currency with them and how they weigh your social value to them against the social value of the person telling the lie, instead of things like, oh, actual evidence and objective reality.

The neurotypical ability to be convinced of something based on feelings for the teller, rather than critical thinking and empirical evidence, is the bane of my autistic existence. It's extremely arbitrary, and usually ends badly, especially when it's a jury being convinced by a talented and charismatic attorney instead of by the actual evidence before the Court.

the social rule i hate the most is that we are expected to spend all our money and then some by society because of consumerism and "Keeping up with the Joneses."

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2021, 2:33 am

screw the joneses and the GD high horse they rode in on.

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Apr 2021, 1:03 am

Selective breeding

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 8:18 am

Jayo wrote:
Which "social rule" do you detest the most?
Another rule I despise is that to be 'popular', a person must willingly provide something that other people need, want, or like.  Why should my popularity depend on how much of my hard-earned pay other people receive from me without having earned it?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 10:26 am

Dishonesty
Small talk
Intense eye-contact
The lack of respect for personal space

GodzillaWoman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 4:57 pm

I'll second those those that detest how our society taught us as children that we should always be truthful, and then ever since show us all the inconsistent standards that say that telling the truth is bad:

* Answering truthfully when asked an opinion.
* Misunderstanding the question "how are you" to be someone caring about how we actually are doing.
* Pointing out a cause for concern, such as the fact that project will run out of budget, even if you turn out to be right
* Correcting someone's erroneous thinking, even if acting on that thinking will get them into trouble
* Expressing concerns about a boyfriend/girlfriend who may be dangerous or cheating
* Expressing an honest opinion about anything, even if carefully worded to not be offensive