How do you make friends when people think you’re weird

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

v4169sgr
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Dec 2023, 5:53 am

To add to the many sensible suggestions already made ...

I find it helps (and am currently working on this!) to reduce one's barriers and make oneself vulnerable. People tend to get on better when they perceive something to connect to / something that is relatable. As well as of course contexts and topics that are in common. & that last point doesn't mean having to 'be interested in whatever they are interested in' though it certainly helps to listen and understand first.

Plus of course see if you have access to any form of counseling that could help you understand your goals and ways in which you can achieve them.

BugsBunnyFan
Raven
Raven

20 Dec 2023, 1:41 am

v4169sgr wrote:
To add to the many sensible suggestions already made ...

I find it helps (and am currently working on this!) to reduce one's barriers and make oneself vulnerable. People tend to get on better when they perceive something to connect to / something that is relatable. As well as of course contexts and topics that are in common. & that last point doesn't mean having to 'be interested in whatever they are interested in' though it certainly helps to listen and understand first.

Plus of course see if you have access to any form of counseling that could help you understand your goals and ways in which you can achieve them.

Being vulnerable only makes people notice how unrelatable I truly am. I don’t do a lot of relatable things going for me like a 9-5 job.

v4169sgr
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Dec 2023, 3:06 am

BugsBunnyFan wrote:
Being vulnerable only makes people notice how unrelatable I truly am. I don’t do a lot of relatable things going for me like a 9-5 job.

I used to volunteer being a 'buddy' with a bed-bound youngster. I've known several physically constrained people in situations that really restricted them. Every single one of them was relatable. When my two were growing up, they made friends with people on the spectrum, some with high dependency needs. They were all relatable too.

Don't write yourself off. You're beautiful inside too. You have a lot to offer. You'd be very surprised. Opening up is exactly what many people look for.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2023, 10:55 am

My experience suggests being a vulnerable, autistic boy isn't a good experience.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2023, 1:34 pm

BugsBunnyFan wrote:
It seems pretty hard for me. Whenever people approach me I just assume they’re approaching me because they think I’m weird and they’re curious about why I’m weird. That makes it hard to trust anyone who is friendly towards me. Especially if they have “normie” vibes. I guess this means I have to do all the approaching. Too bad I have zero idea how. Probably because no one has ever approached me normally.

What, objectively, is it about you that makes people think you are weird?

You assume people think you are weird and that is why they approach. Why do you think they think you are weird? Maybe they are just being friendly?

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

20 Dec 2023, 5:14 pm

Coming to the realization that weirdness is subjective will help you a lot. Sure, you're weird. I'm weird. A lot of other folks are weird. What counts is what you bring to the table.

I feel like a lot of other autistic people forget that a relationship is a two way street. You have to bring something to the table if you're expecting the people you're interacting with to give you undivided attention. No one really likes hanging out with someone who doesn't give the space to just be, you know?

And one more thing: what you need to internalize is that you have inherent intrinsic value, no matter what. It's okay to assume the best about people coming up to approach you, take social falters with grace, and stop beating yourself up for awkward encounters and scenarios. Be yourself, but also have the empathy to let others be themselves around you.

Lastly: you're not going to get along with everyone. That's just a fact. And that's perfectly okay.

TheOutsider
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Dec 2023, 6:30 pm

I would suggest accepting the approaching person as genuine. I've never initiated a friendship. Every friend I've ever had approached me for friendship first. Had I assumed bad intentions, I would have been friendless my entire life. I've had some really good friends and I would hate to think about how my life would have been if I hadn't been open to their initial approach. Just something you may want to consider going forward.

BillyTree
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2023, 7:13 pm

rse92 wrote:

You assume people think you are weird and that is why they approach. Why do you think they think you are weird? Maybe they are just being friendly?

Yes. I second that. If they, for any reason start trying to take advantage of you, then you should cut ties with them. Until then don't overthink it, but focus on them being friendly.