ICD-10 is still used to this day, even there is ICD-11

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2024, 8:07 pm

When I was little, I was suspected of having MR-NOS and PDD-NOS, as I got a little older, I was diagnosed with PDD-NOS, and in 2013 my diagnosis of PDD-NOS changed to Autistic Disorder. When I was in psych word, my diagnosis of Autistic Disorder became Autism Spectrum, but according to Stanford Health Care, I have a diagnosis of Autistic Disorder.

ICD-10 is still used today, even in the USA as well.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2024, 9:48 pm

I'm surprised it's being used at all in the US, but given how bad the DSM 5 coverage of various disorders was, an ICD version is likely to be adopted until and unless another home grown book is adopted.

I'm not up enough to know when the ICD 11 came out, but it can take time for the necessary systems to be updated when a new revision is released and for some diagnoses there may not be any significant change anyways.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2024, 11:02 pm

That actually makes sense.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2024, 9:56 pm

FranzOren wrote:
That actually makes sense.

It's also worth noting that the ICD is a lot broader than the DSM is. The DSM is just for psychiatry and psychology and isn't necessarily intended for use outside the US. Which is another issue that has become more of an issue over time as the culture has continued to broaden out with more people from other countries becoming a large portion of the population.

The ICD includes just about every possible health problem out there.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2024, 10:34 pm

Many physicians (who can and do prescribe mental health medication) are probably much more familiar with the ICD than the DSM-5 since it is what they use for most disorders, and what they probably learned in medical school.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2024, 11:27 pm

That actually makes sense now.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 9:27 pm

ProfessorJohn wrote:
Many physicians (who can and do prescribe mental health medication) are probably much more familiar with the ICD than the DSM-5 since it is what they use for most disorders, and what they probably learned in medical school.

That depends a great deal on where they went to medical school and what the local expectations are. Globally, ICD is definitely more widely used as the DSM was mostly just the US and a few other places.

That being said, with how bad the DSM 5 was and that there is no funding for a DSM 6, I'd imagine that that ICD will be adopted in the countries that had been using the DSM as creating an alternative from scratch doesn't necessarily make much sense and would take far too long to properly validate and support with research. Having the DSM as an option was mostly possible because there was a lot less that was known in general about mental health issues back in 1952 when the DSM I was published.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2024, 9:59 am

MatchboxVagabond wrote:
ProfessorJohn wrote:

That depends a great deal on where they went to medical school and what the local expectations are. Globally, ICD is definitely more widely used as the DSM was mostly just the US and a few other places.

That being said, with how bad the DSM 5 was and that there is no funding for a DSM 6, I'd imagine that that ICD will be adopted in the countries that had been using the DSM as creating an alternative from scratch doesn't necessarily make much sense and would take far too long to properly validate and support with research. Having the DSM as an option was mostly possible because there was a lot less that was known in general about mental health issues back in 1952 when the DSM I was published.

Why don't my doctors use ICD-11? It was published recently, ICD-11 did a similar approach to DSM-5-TR for Pervasive Developmental Disorders and called it Autism Spectrum Diosrder. So why are my doctors still using outdated versions of ICD still?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2024, 10:54 am

I can not vouch for everywhere but here in the U.S.A. the DSM and ICD manuals are guidelines not mandates. Clinicians do not automatically lose their licenses if they use an older manual.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2024, 3:11 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I can not vouch for everywhere but here in the U.S.A. the DSM and ICD manuals are guidelines not mandates. Clinicians do not automatically lose their licenses if they use an older manual.

I know, it is just different.