Nihilistic delusional beliefs and Derealization

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2024, 9:40 am

My derealization is severe to the point I have nihilistic delusion. Is this a typical part of my mental illness?

I hold firm beliefs that nothing is real and due to history of severe developmental delay, I can't comprehend how most of humans have superior intelligence and discovered and build electronics. So how do I learn how to appreciate this complexity?

__Elijahahahaho
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 May 2024, 9:54 am

I am not a therapist.

You seem to be talking about how you believe nothing is real.
-this is not a delusion, reality is a mental construct. You can choose whether you act in a world that is "real" or not. Honestly I don't know what the difference would be. You for sure will hurt yourself if you do dangerous things, but does that mean you should not do dangerous things? Many performers use tactical derealisation to deal with the enormity of their show or feat. Also military people.
Read some philosophy, many thinkers have wondered about reality, none of them has been labelled as ill. (Although probably they would be now).

You imply that this prevents you from understanding things.
- this is false. Many abstract concepts are not "real", but they can still be "understood".

You suggest that humans have superior intelligence because of electronics and want to learn about it.
- Humans have a type of intelligence. It is useful for some things, not others. Electronics is a pretty useful
thing that has made some interesting changes to what we can do, but Idk if they are necessarily good for anyone.
If you want to learn about electronics I recommend reading "the art of electronics", go to a hackerspace, and play with some stuff.

You will meet other people, find out they are more or less just as crazy as you, and feel less stressed out, and maybe make some silly beeping thing or some such.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2024, 11:04 am

__Elijahahahaho wrote:
I am not a therapist.

You seem to be talking about how you believe nothing is real.
-this is not a delusion, reality is a mental construct. You can choose whether you act in a world that is "real" or not. Honestly I don't know what the difference would be. You for sure will hurt yourself if you do dangerous things, but does that mean you should not do dangerous things? Many performers use tactical derealisation to deal with the enormity of their show or feat. Also military people.
Read some philosophy, many thinkers have wondered about reality, none of them has been labelled as ill. (Although probably they would be now).

You imply that this prevents you from understanding things.
- this is false. Many abstract concepts are not "real", but they can still be "understood".

You suggest that humans have superior intelligence because of electronics and want to learn about it.
- Humans have a type of intelligence. It is useful for some things, not others. Electronics is a pretty useful
thing that has made some interesting changes to what we can do, but Idk if they are necessarily good for anyone.
If you want to learn about electronics I recommend reading "the art of electronics", go to a hackerspace, and play with some stuff.

You will meet other people, find out they are more or less just as crazy as you, and feel less stressed out, and maybe make some silly beeping thing or some such.

That is an interesting Philosophy to consider.