Page 8 of 19 [ 304 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 19  Next

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2009, 5:16 pm

Feyhera wrote:
Postperson wrote:

A lot of pro NT posts are in the vein of 'well we all have problems don't we' and gah that is a way of people dismissing you.

No, it's a way to say we can bridge the gap between our two worlds through mutual understanding. If there's any dismissing going on, it's the dismissing of NTs feelings. No aspies have been harmed in the making of this thread. How many NTs have tho?

If I recall it is an aspie support board not an NT support board.

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2009, 5:35 pm

lotusblossom wrote:
If I recall it is an aspie support board not an NT support board.

Dismissing NT veiws, emotions and opinions and supporting people who do isn't supporting anyone on this forum, aspie or nt. I never realised how much hate there is on this forum.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2009, 5:45 pm

Support Neurotypicals now!! topic

We need a Sticky for this. When I am feeling empathetic I will go there and offer my assistance.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2009, 5:46 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
OK. This is the deal, from an NT perspective. There is nothing you can do about people who choose to be mean. Yes, there are plenty of them, but it is not a majority in this world, just a very painfully destructive small group. The only thing to be done about them is to keep out of the path and give them freedom to self-destruct. So the focus turns to those who would be nice but misread your intentions because you don't know the social rules. THOSE interactions can be worked on and improved.

My son knows who I think he should just stay clear of, or take any issues with straight to the principals office. We can't solve their issues; they can't solve his; the common ground for getting along is pretty non-existent. So you press the ignore button, or go through offical channels when they insist on pressing through the ignore button. We identify those kids and people, and develop tactics for staying clear. I have to do that, too, as an NT; everyone does.

Your son is truly blessed. He is a lucky boy, to have been born in a time where teachers knew about ASDs. I wasnt so lucky. I was punished by teachers, not only for being bullied, (they thought I was too passive so the bullying was my fault, apparently) but also punished for verbal inappropriate statements I had made. I was so confused, I had no idea what was going on, why the school, and its staff, seemed to hate me. There was no knowledge whatsoever of AS.

So what I am saying is that, many people with ASDs have had an incredibly rough time. I didnt even know what was wrong until I was 25. 25 years of some good times, but a lot of misery, which were supposed to be the best years of my life.

Also for me, something I would like to have known, is that many of the people who bullied or rejected me were ordinary people. Not the minority of nasty to the bone people who are around. But I couldnt even get Joe/Josephine Average to like me.

I feel better now in many ways but the information age has been largely responsible for that :) .

I guess the point I am trying to make is that people who are not on the spectrum need to remember that there are many people on WP with a lot of pain in their past, never dealt with, and a lot of unresolved issues.

Taking a break.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2009, 6:00 pm

Response to ridiculous post deleted! :wink:

Last edited by Marcia on 24 Jul 2009, 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2009, 6:06 pm

Oh, ok. Sorry about that post then. Maybe I need to read some more Shakespeare... :oops:

Taking a break.

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2009, 6:12 pm

zen_mistress wrote:
Oh, ok. Sorry about that post then. Maybe I need to read some more Shakespeare...

I'm sure you've already realised, but i think it basically means "We go down together". It's kind of romantic.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2009, 6:32 pm

True. I feel like a bit of a dick now. I kind of wish I could delete my post...

Taking a break.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2009, 6:36 pm

zen_mistress wrote:

No worries topic

I am not romantic either. Shakespeare had such a way with imagery and language.. Imagine using snakes, and other creatures to take one's life. 8O

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2009, 6:36 pm

Can you not just edit it to delete the content? And I'll do the same with my post quoting you.

MorbidMiss
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jul 2009, 6:38 pm

I am sorry, I lack the attention span to read through all of these pages (Not kidding, I looked at the number of pages and just shuddered). I am saying that first to say that I am sorry if someone else has stated this already. This seems to be kind of like The X-Men vs The Brotherhood of Mutants.

Not all NTs are going to be in your face calling you a freak anymore than every white person is a KKK member, or every poor person would rob a person blind if they turn their backs... Just because a person has had bad luck does not mean every person is bad. That is how stereotypes are born.

Also just because emotions are like a foreign language to a person, does not mean that they are bad. It would be nice if we could all just say what we mean all the time, but for a magnitude of reasons it just is not that way.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2009, 6:55 pm

Marcia wrote:
Can you not just edit it to delete the content? And I'll do the same with my post quoting you.

Thank you! I would love this.

And I will try in future not to make posts like that. I think I have issues... :?

Taking a break.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2009, 7:13 pm

The biggest problem I can see with the way in which the term neurotypical or NT is often used here is that it is quite simply such a gross over-generalisation as to be effectively meaningless. People cannot be divided into two groups and assigned either one or other group identity.

People who are on the Spectrum differ from each other in an infinite number and combination of ways, as do people who are not on the Spectrum. There is no sharp dividing line, and all people, whether they are on the Spectrum or not, will share some characteristics and traits. People are all different. They can be cruel or kind; mean or generous; aggressive or conciliatory; active or lethargic; talkative or taciturn; gregarious or isolated; and so on for ever! What's more, people can behave in different ways depending on the time or circumstances. Someone might be withdrawn in the company of certain people and outgoing in the company of others. A normally placid person might be irritable if they are unwell or worried about something.

Many people post here asking why "NTs" behave in a certain way because they are confused or upset or distressed by a specific event or a history of behaviours displayed by certain people or groups of people.

I don't find it constructive to talk of "NTs" in such a general way, and think it would be more helpful and perhaps more enlightening to ask why some "people" behave in certain ways. It would lead to a greater depth of discussion rather than the knee-jerk reaction of seeing the rest of the world as the enemy, upon whom scorn and derision are to be heaped. No-one learns anything from that type of negative stereotyping, but rather it serves to create and enforce a siege mentality which is not uncommon on AS forums.

I would rather try to understand why some people behave they do, and you can't achieve any kind of understanding if you don't even attempt clearly and logically to identify the specific group whose behaviour is being discussed.

Sorry if this is a bit rambling and incoherent. I'm not very articulate just now, and I know what I want to say, but the words disappear when I start typing.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2009, 7:14 pm

Feyhera wrote:
Postperson wrote:

A lot of pro NT posts are in the vein of 'well we all have problems don't we' and gah that is a way of people dismissing you.

No, it's a way to say we can bridge the gap between our two worlds through mutual understanding. If there's any dismissing going on, it's the dismissing of NTs feelings. No aspies have been harmed in the making of this thread. How many NTs have tho?

That's not true. There's hurt on both sides. I felt a lot of anger directed at me in one of your posts. Also, it does feel dismissive when you push the agenda that nobody is allowed to express their anger at the world of normal people without it being labeled as hate speech.

I guess I just don't know any other people who identify strongly enough with the label "NT" to take such strong offense at the kind of negative characterizations of NT's you see here on WP. Most NT's I know would take about as much offense at such characterizations as they do when Europeans negatively characterize Americans. Now I realize the issue hits closer to home for you because you're struggling with your AS husband.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2009, 7:21 pm

sartresue wrote:
zen_mistress wrote:

No worries topic

I am not romantic either. Shakespeare had such a way with imagery and language.. Imagine using snakes, and other creatures to take one's life. 8O

That does seem a bit brutal. I am a romantic, myself, but at school we only studied Taming of the Shrew and Othello, I also know bits from Romeo and Juliet... amongst Keats and Wordsworth.. Shakespeare had so many plays, so I am not familiar with all of them...

And Marcia, thanks :)

Taking a break.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2009, 7:28 pm

zen_mistress wrote:
sartresue wrote:
zen_mistress wrote:

No worries topic

That does seem a bit brutal. I am a romantic, myself, but at school we only studied Taming of the Shrew and Othello, I also know bits from Romeo and Juliet... amongst Keats and Wordsworth.. Shakespeare had so many plays, so I am not familiar with all of them...

And Marcia, thanks :)

Glad to be of help. :)