Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 1:16 pm

Oh, no. I just realized I hold my arms in the W or T-rex position most of the time, too. Something else to be self-conscious about. :(

BTW, OP, I like your dress.

mv
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 2:18 pm

My one long-lasting stim has been to sit with fists loosely clenched and the thumb tucked between the index and middle fingers. My ex-husband pointed it out to me; I had never noticed before, but when I went back and looked at photographs it was there a lot of times.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 2:24 pm

i appreciate all of the stories, people. i did giggle at the way some people described their arm positions. i often walk around or talk to people with my arms bent at the elbow and fingers spread. my ex-husband used to tease me about it.

Nonperson wrote:
BTW, OP, I like your dress.

thank you! it is my favourite!

last night i dreamt that someone posted in the thread explaining why i used the wrong terms in my title to describe hand and arm positions.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 2:51 pm

I do depending on the movements i am doing. I Notice that if i am walking past something or someone I have my hads up, arms bent so that my elbows are at my sides and my hands up and one of them is usually curled.

autotelica
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jul 2012, 5:16 pm

Yes. If it's conscious behavior, it's at the subconscious level. I keep my hands in fists or with my fingers wrapped around each other. Sometimes I'll find my hands in my lap, curled into the wrists. I wake up and find my hands clenched very tightly together. Along with my toes.

So this is a stim? I did not know that. I just thought it was me being weird.

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 5:21 pm

Tuttle wrote:
Its really really hard to figure out positions for my hands to be in that feel right...

Indeed. I think that is why I often sit on my hands.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 5:56 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
do you hold your hands in strange positions? is this an aspie or autie thing?

I have a bad habit of crossing my middle and ring finger especially on my left hand when I'm not paying attention. Apparently this is a "west side" gang sign, so it makes me a little nervous that I'll do it by accident in the wrong company one day.

alecazam3567
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jul 2012, 5:58 pm

I wouldn't say my positions are too odd, but I don't have a clue where to put my arms when standing or talking :roll:

OhioStateDolphins
Raven
Raven

25 Jul 2012, 6:05 pm

sometimes I'll tuck one of my hands inside the collar of my shirt when I'm not thinking about it

nerdymama
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jul 2012, 6:28 pm

I often hold my arms in the "t rex" position... I refer to it as the mr burns position

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 6:53 pm

Yes. But it doesn't bother me. It's just one more part of my general weirdness. There are more important things to worry about.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 7:38 pm

nerdymama wrote:
I often hold my arms in the "t rex" position... I refer to it as the mr burns position

Hehe, same here. I have also thought of it as "t-rex arms," though in my case it's only one arm (well, one is higher than the other).

mmonroe
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jul 2012, 8:48 pm

outofplace wrote:
One other thing I just thought of that I do is that I use my feet as a second pair of hands. It's part of the reason I like wearing flip flops so much. When I wear them, my toes are readily accessible for picking up things and bringing them to my hands. This is especially useful when working under a car and a tool is just out of reach.

I do this too! So does my oldest son. We always make the others in my family laugh when we do it, but we really aren't doing it to be funny, even if we end up laughing at ourselves as well. It's just really convenient at times and it makes sense to utilize our toes if they function that way.

I also find myself holding my hands in strange positions and having to move them around so they don't get cramped. And I wake up with my hands bent at the wrists and somewhat clenched. It's so strange that I never noticed that I did this until about six months ago.

Shroomy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jul 2012, 12:38 am

One day I noticed when I was walking that I always bend my little finger across the finger next to it and touching the middle finger.

I also cross my arms and legs in weird ways, especially this thing where my arms cross over the opposite shoulder so that my hands clutch the opposite shoulder and my elbows stick out at the front. Whenever I do this at home my mum copies then I become aware of it.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2012, 12:17 pm

so it seems to be relatively common. interesting!

i wonder at the impression it gives?

Imweird
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jul 2012, 5:53 pm

Interesting topic! I can't remember if I did this as a child, but as an adult sometimes I find myself holding my left arm bent at the elbow and held tightly against my body when I'm walking. I don't always do this though. Another thing I do often is if I'm loading the washing machine or dishwasher, I'll find myself using only one hand (pretty sure it's the right one in this case). My brother didn't walk until he was almost 2 and when he finally did, he also held one arm bent and held close to his body. I never made the connection until seeing this post! Neither of us were ever diagnosed with any ASD but I'm discovering as adults that my father, brother and I probably do have one.