Minimal viewing 53%  53%  [ 43 ]
Average viewing 10%  10%  [ 8 ]
Above average viewing 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 81

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 1:02 pm

I used to be a television junkie until I was 19, when I went through a longer period (a year or two) without television. After that, I had lost the need to watch TV, preferring other activities.

I still own a TV, it's a second hand old model bought cheap for 25 euros. I still like some of the shows on TV, although I barely watch any at home anymore. My TV cable is busted, I think, so it's due for replacement. I do watch when I visit my aunt, because my grandmother (who lives there) still absolutely aodres TV, so I sometimes catch it when she's watching. But there is no dire need for me to watch at home. Sometimes there'll be a TV show I really want to see, but because of my busted cable, I prefer to watch on my computer, as the internet sites for the public TV channels link to most shows they have aired, hosted on a site called 'uitzendinggemist.nl' ('missed broadcast').

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 1:39 pm

I watch dvds but we don't have cable.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

04 Oct 2012, 1:49 pm

I don't really watch TV. The most time I've watched TV this week was about 20 minutes on Netflix, and the presidential debate last night between Romney and Obama. That's about it.

bizboy1
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 1:53 pm

I don't like TV. I used to when I was younger, but I prefer video games and music, as well as math.

LAEMapsie
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Oct 2012, 1:54 pm

I only use my TV for playing games and watching DVDs.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 2:05 pm

I'll watch the news and a few PBS shows on cooking or travel. That's about it.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 2:15 pm

I watch specific TV shows and record everything I want to see. I don't watch an awful lot of TV and, although I'm at home all day, I don't switch it on, unless I want to see the news. My likes are quite distinctive. I never watch soaps or talent or 'reality' or celebs in a box type programmes. I watch fun panel quiz shows, some dramas (especially fantasy), some detective shows, science/health/history documentaries and in-depth news programmes.

Kairi96
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Oct 2012, 2:52 pm

I think I'm in avarage. I usually watch the science channel and the cartoons I like, that aren't many in this period. And sometimes I watch films, too. But I prefear computer a lot more.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 3:04 pm

I don't watch TV. I used to a bit when I was a child, but I suddenly stopped doing it in my early teens.

If I lived alone, I would probably still own a telly because I don't mind having the news on in the mornings and evenings, and I always watch videos and DVDs too.

Jinks
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Oct 2012, 3:11 pm

Thank you for all the responses so far. :) I also watch a film veeery occasionally. But I kind of find watching TV and films for a long while tiring, while engaging in my hobbies is more likely to perk me up.

The poll is currently 6 votes average/above average viewing and 33 minimal/no TV viewing. I suspect that's a vastly different figure to what I would get by asking 40 random people rather than 40 ASD people. I would imagine that in that situation most responses would fall under "average" (average is average for a reason, right?). Interesting to see such strongly angled results.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 4:05 pm

Jinks wrote:
Thank you for all the responses so far. :) I also watch a film veeery occasionally. But I kind of find watching TV and films for a long while tiring, while engaging in my hobbies is more likely to perk me up.

The poll is currently 6 votes average/above average viewing and 33 minimal/no TV viewing. I suspect that's a vastly different figure to what I would get by asking 40 random people rather than 40 ASD people. I would imagine that in that situation most responses would fall under "average" (average is average for a reason, right?). Interesting to see such strongly angled results.

It's especially funny considering you'd expect most people to pick 'average viewing'. I mean, that's what average means, isn't it? A low score for 'average' could still be balanced out if as many people picked the 'above average' option, meaning that autistics have extreme viewing habits (either too much or too little), but apparently, the membership of WP just doesn't care that much for TV.

TV subforum does get some traffic, though, but it's shared with Film, and most people watch those either in the cinema or on DVD/Blu-Ray.

JockGitJnr
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Oct 2012, 4:07 pm

I will only watch TV if I have nothing better to do and even then I am not really watching it. It's just pretty colours for me to watch while I think about something much more interesting. I do watch Anime and Films on my computer but that is less than 5 hours a week which is not a lot seeing as I spend almost all my time awake on it.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 5:03 pm

I have a TV. You need it for video games and for watching movies. Well you can watch the DVDs on your computer. I don't watch lot of TV these days. Some shows I may watch like The Simpsons or watch something On Demand on my cable box when I feel like watching something and I also have Netflix. I have wanted to get rid of cable for a while but my husband doesn't want to.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 5:09 pm

If it were up to me, I'd have no t.v. in the house. I've had good long spells without. Right now, just because 'it's there', I watch a little bit.

invisiblesilent
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 5:09 pm

I watch very little TV. I mainly watch factual stuff e.g. documentaries and the news. I like sci-fi and fantasy stuff but I'll usually watch that on my computer as it is always released in the US ahead of the UK. I find most fictional TV and movies to be incredibly boring and inane - they don't "do" anything for me at all and I can't help but sit there and pick plot holes to the irritation of anybody else who happens to be around (worst plot hole ever: the entire movie "Pitch Black" - I wont even get started on why because I could go on about it all day).

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 5:24 pm

I do have a TV; but a majority of the stuff I watch is the anime I see online.

I have three NT brothers, and they watch it quite a lot. Sometimes I'll just end up glancing over and watching whatever they happen to be watching at the time.

Until I get a book thrown at me.

._.