Is it common for some aspies to not like their condition ?

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2023, 10:12 am

I'd say its quite common. It is one thing to accept it, but you can accept it and still dislike it. I do.

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2023, 4:33 pm

I used to dislike it when I was younger as in 15-16, but I have grown out of that and accept it at best or just tolerate it at worst right now.

I feel that in a counterproductive way, making social awareness of a label brings it's own issues.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2023, 8:35 pm

I dislike that I spend so much time accommodating others (NT style) and they spend very little time accommodating me (ASD style). Seems to me we could split the difference more. I took my kids to a sensory-friendly theatre performance this summer -they have those now our way- and it made me so teary. Audience members were given an theater-friendly fidget toy, encouraged to come and go as they needed, expectations were set about emotional plot, loud noises and brighter lights, etc. Instead of clapping, folks did the ESL "clapping" (quietly). Such goodness. My son was in heaven. He wasn't hating his condition (trying to sit still and be "appropriate"); he was enjoying life... naturally.