Do ALL Aspies or Auties dislike bieing hugged or touched?

Page 11 of 11 [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

KariNicole
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Aug 2014, 10:42 pm

I like hugs from family and friends - and seek them out from the little boy i babysit all the time - but if its someone i'm not really close with, i generally tense up and awkwardly reciprocate. I hate those greeting type hugs that people at church give. Hell i don't even like shaking hands with church people, its so forced. So for me it depends on who is giving the hug or wanting to shake my hand - i'll either readily accept it or i'll reluctantly and awkwardly put up with it.

Luthien Merilin
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Feb 2017, 7:37 am

I love being touched or hugged.

The only exception is when I dislike the person in question, or when they put me off for some reason.
A gentle touch makes me feel closer to the other person; it makes me feel better about myself and it diminishes (social) anxiety.

Of course it matters what kind of touch. Not every kind of touch (a hug, a pat on the shoulder, a hand on the back) is appropriate with everyone, but if I would solely follow my own impulses I would do it a hell of a lot more.

I noticed that scratching or rubbing some particular trigger points around my shoulder blades can literally switch my brain in a different gear. The exact location of those points seems to vary, and they are not always equally sensitive. But when it works, the effect can be incredibly intense. My thoughts seem to stop and there's a feeling of the borders of my self dissolving, as in what people describe about Zen meditation or Yoga. In that state it is literally impossible to worry about anything. It also just feels very good, in a way that I find hard to describe.

... then softly she began to sing / a theme of sleep and slumbering wandering, woven with deeper spell / than songs wherewith in ancient dell Melian did once the twilight fill / profound, and fathomless, and still.
-- the Lay of Leithian, J.R.R. Tolkien

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 11:02 am

I'm okay with hugs from a few people that I know well, but most of the time, I hate being touched.

randomeu
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 9:03 pm

I can't speak for others. but i do NOT like being hugged or touched, not at all, no not ever unless you are VERY close to me relationship wise. freaks me out. alot.

so obviously a guy in my sixth form figured that out and wouldn't stop touching me, borderline/probably was sexual assualt.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 174 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 30 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Officially diagnosed 30th june 2017

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 2:37 am

I was almost never touched as a child, and learned not to try for that comfort, but as an adult, I came to love hugs, and discovered a natural talent for massage. I was sponsored for some lessons from a wonderful teacher, and then traded with various friends to get my massages and spread his techniques. Eventually, I traded with someone who got me a job at a spa, where I got good tips and comments in the guest book.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 5:04 am

Meh, heh, heh.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 5:18 am

No. Not in my case.

It's just that I would pretty much would wanted to be hugged by my mom than anyone.
As a child, I crave being touched. That almost every night, I would want my parents to tickle me. But that stopped around sometime after I finished kindergarten.
And became avoidant at 12.

Being touched? I do not mind since I was around 17. Unless I'm on a serious mood or something similar to that.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 8:20 am

I like touching very much. However, I do not instinctually ascribe good intentions to touching. That's why strangers and people I have reason to distrust or dislike run the risk of sudden pain should they attempt it. People I like would find themselves welcomed.