Page 13 of 17 [ 261 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 11:23 pm

I guess you haven't read the majority of *my* posts, then. I've said stuff on WP that would make your hair turn pure white and fall out, the blood drain away from your skin, and your teeth crumble and fall out. :twisted:

Seriously, I have gone through things that would give Stephen King insomnia, and I spend day-in and-out plotting my revenge. I don't want to kill the people who made my life horrible or anything, I just want them to have something to think about on their way to the emergency room. Like sending them chocolates full of syrup of ipecac. Or soft, cuddly teddy bears soaked in poison ivy juice. Or just pies that will get thrown in their faces on delivery, but the pies will have the hottest hot sauce in existence in the filling. :twisted:

But how could I possibly do that? And get away with it? :(

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 11:29 pm

Shadi2 wrote:
Raleigh wrote:
Shadi2 wrote:
Raleigh wrote:
Shadi2 wrote:

No, she never told me I was stupid, she was (seemed) nice, and told me nicely (the way a person who actually cares about your well being would do) that I should not leave my purse opened and unattended, that someone might steal. But a few minutes later, while still in the store, I caught her telling another person that she had told a "stupid girl" (me) not to leave her purse unattended (and other nice comments about me).

When people give you an advice, it doesn't automatically mean they think you are stupid, most the time they are just trying to help.

People can tell other people things without saying the actual words. By telling you what she did she was trying to make you aware of your stupidity. That was her purpose for speaking to you. Do you see that? She probably spoke nicely because she thought you were a little slow. Smart people are generally aware of the existence of thieves and don't leave valuables lying around. Granted, she shouldn't have spoken behind your back but I wouldn't have thought of her as a hypocrite because she already let you know that she thought you were not too bright.
Maybe I've been around teenagers too much. I remember saying things like, "If you jump off the roof on your skateboard, you'll break your neck." When really I was saying, "Mate, you're twelve different multicoloured kinds of stupid if you're doing that kind of s**t."
Sorry I started this. I was kind of joking to begin with. Jeez, that backfired, didn't it?
This whole conversation is stupid.
Bring on the freakin dragons.

My husband probably thinks like you because anytime I tell him something he says "do you think I'm stupid?" lol.

But no, giving an advice to someone doesn't mean you (I mean "you" in general) think they are stupid (or at least it doesn't when I give an advice, I just want to help, I don't usually think the person is stupid), it means (or should mean) that you want to help and/or care about their well being. If you don't care about them and their well being why would you even waste your time giving them advices. Again there is a difference between doing stupid things once in a while (who has never done something stupid?), and actually being stupid, and a difference between telling someone they did something stupid, and calling the person stupid. Anyway, I was just very naive, at the time I thought most people were honest so I didn't even think that someone could steal my purse.

And no problem about the conversation lol, I just think you shouldn't assume that when someone gives you an advice it means they think you are stupid. Like when my husband gives an advice to his son, he doesn't think his son is stupid, he just cares about him and wants to help.

Ok, I didn't want to have to do this but you leave me no choice lol:

Exhibit A: Stupid
1. Lacking intelligence or common sense.

Exhibit B: Advice
1. Guidance or recommendations offered with regard to prudent action.

Exhibit C: Hypocrite
1. A person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion
2. A person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

1) What you did was stupid (see A)
2) The woman recognised you were lacking intelligence or common sense (A) and gave you advice (B)
3) Doing something stupid (A) makes you stupid (A)
4) The woman was not a hypocrite (C) she saw you were stupid (A) and she was technically correct in telling the other woman you were stupid (A)

As I said she probably shouldn't have spoken to the other woman so you could hear. But I don't think she's a hypocrite. She indicated you were stupid and maintained her view. By your own definition the woman was caring because she bothered to give you advice at all.
From my experience a lot of advice is given because the other person is stupid. That doesn't mean it can't be done in a loving way. Plus there's advice and advice, if you know what I mean.
Stupid is one of those words that seems to have evolved to mean anything, including an insult, much the same as 'gay'. Where I live it's also used as a term of affection. e.g. See ya stoopid!

This is fun!!

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 12:47 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
My favorite cat is Marybird's. She also shares my "special interest."

My kitty says thank you and she does indeed share your special interest.
She plans to read 'The Singing Neanderthals'.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 1:05 am

This is not an act. I'm really a Sweet Pea.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 1:10 am

I sense that the OP and I lack Theory of Mind for one another. He doesn't understand my sweetness and the fact that it's not an act. I have a hard time wondering why someone would want to give a well respected member a hard time.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 1:25 am

That's a rather disturbing image, to be honest. Please don't let people get to you. Sweet Peas go beyond cynicism.

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 1:26 am

Raleigh wrote:
Shadi2 wrote:
Raleigh wrote:
Shadi2 wrote:
Raleigh wrote:
Shadi2 wrote:

No, she never told me I was stupid, she was (seemed) nice, and told me nicely (the way a person who actually cares about your well being would do) that I should not leave my purse opened and unattended, that someone might steal. But a few minutes later, while still in the store, I caught her telling another person that she had told a "stupid girl" (me) not to leave her purse unattended (and other nice comments about me).

When people give you an advice, it doesn't automatically mean they think you are stupid, most the time they are just trying to help.

People can tell other people things without saying the actual words. By telling you what she did she was trying to make you aware of your stupidity. That was her purpose for speaking to you. Do you see that? She probably spoke nicely because she thought you were a little slow. Smart people are generally aware of the existence of thieves and don't leave valuables lying around. Granted, she shouldn't have spoken behind your back but I wouldn't have thought of her as a hypocrite because she already let you know that she thought you were not too bright.
Maybe I've been around teenagers too much. I remember saying things like, "If you jump off the roof on your skateboard, you'll break your neck." When really I was saying, "Mate, you're twelve different multicoloured kinds of stupid if you're doing that kind of s**t."
Sorry I started this. I was kind of joking to begin with. Jeez, that backfired, didn't it?
This whole conversation is stupid.
Bring on the freakin dragons.

My husband probably thinks like you because anytime I tell him something he says "do you think I'm stupid?" lol.

But no, giving an advice to someone doesn't mean you (I mean "you" in general) think they are stupid (or at least it doesn't when I give an advice, I just want to help, I don't usually think the person is stupid), it means (or should mean) that you want to help and/or care about their well being. If you don't care about them and their well being why would you even waste your time giving them advices. Again there is a difference between doing stupid things once in a while (who has never done something stupid?), and actually being stupid, and a difference between telling someone they did something stupid, and calling the person stupid. Anyway, I was just very naive, at the time I thought most people were honest so I didn't even think that someone could steal my purse.

And no problem about the conversation lol, I just think you shouldn't assume that when someone gives you an advice it means they think you are stupid. Like when my husband gives an advice to his son, he doesn't think his son is stupid, he just cares about him and wants to help.

Ok, I didn't want to have to do this but you leave me no choice lol:

Exhibit A: Stupid
1. Lacking intelligence or common sense.

Exhibit B: Advice
1. Guidance or recommendations offered with regard to prudent action.

Exhibit C: Hypocrite
1. A person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion
2. A person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

1) What you did was stupid (see A)
2) The woman recognised you were lacking intelligence or common sense (A) and gave you advice (B)
3) Doing something stupid (A) makes you stupid (A)
4) The woman was not a hypocrite (C) she saw you were stupid (A) and she was technically correct in telling the other woman you were stupid (A)

As I said she probably shouldn't have spoken to the other woman so you could hear. But I don't think she's a hypocrite. She indicated you were stupid and maintained her view. By your own definition the woman was caring because she bothered to give you advice at all.
From my experience a lot of advice is given because the other person is stupid. That doesn't mean it can't be done in a loving way. Plus there's advice and advice, if you know what I mean.
Stupid is one of those words that seems to have evolved to mean anything, including an insult, much the same as 'gay'. Where I live it's also used as a term of affection. e.g. See ya stoopid!

This is fun!!

If someone is nice to your face, but when you're not around tells everyone else how stupid he/she thinks you are, the person is being hypocritical (and no, there was nothing affectionate about her comments about me, it was not like "someone I care about did something stupid"). Simple as that. I can't imagine a parent giving an advice to their child, and then telling everyone else how stupid they think their child is. Maybe you give advices to people only when you think they are stupid, but I don't, if I give an advice to someone it means I want to help, not that I think they are stupid (and I tend to assume that people who give advices to others do so because they care and want to help). And no, I don't think she actually cared, I think she was one of those people who enjoys other people's shortcomings because it makes them feel good about themselves, and badmouthing them in their back. She acted "motherly" when she talked to me, and like a total jerk when she talked to that other woman about me (p.s. I was so shocked at the difference of attitude that I didn't even say anything, thinking back on this I should have told her to shove her advice youknowwhere next time). I definitely didn't realise that she thought I was stupid, I simply thought she was a nice person with good intentions, who cared and offered me guidance (especially with her "motherly" tone - I was 16 or so, and she must have been 40ish) ... up to the moment when I caught her talking about me to that other woman. I used to be very naive and always assumed the best of people until they proved me wrong.

This conversation is getting tireing lol. I'm just repeating myself, and you're just repeatedly telling me that I was stupid, that the woman thought I was stupid, that I should have known she thought I was stupid because she gave me an advice, and that I should have been ok with the fact that she was telling another person that she thought I was stupid.

adriantesq
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Dec 2014, 1:37 am

Crikey!

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 1:51 am

Blimey!

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 1:52 am

adriantesq wrote:
Crikey!

I know, right.
Dragons, anyone?

ReticentJaeger
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 1:54 am

I don't think the woman's behavior was hypocritical. Rude and jerkish (is that a word?...It is now.), but not hypocritical. If she had said something like 'That's alright, everyone makes mistakes," then maybe.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 1:55 am

Cockney: you're a nice person, and most people know that. Ignore those who only seek to provoke.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 2:01 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Cockney: you're a nice person, and most people know that. Ignore those who only seek to provoke.

Provoke backwards is ekovorp, which sounds like Eu vou (I'll go) in Portuguese.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 2:05 am

Norny wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Provoke backwards is ekovorp, which sounds like Eu vou (I'll go) in Portuguese.

They must have some wild pronunciation in Portuguese.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 4:51 am

Slime

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 4:57 am

Restrained peanuts.