Do you think Asperger's is something to be proud of?

Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Malachi_Rothschild
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jun 2010, 7:29 am

No, it's not something to be proud of. No more than being strong or intelligent or having manageable hair or big ears or being able to touch one's nose with one's tongue. In American society however, I find that pointing out the positive qualities of a condition that effects the brain is interpreted as a sign of pride. I don't see anything wrong with pointing out those positive attributes. I do get irritated when it's misinterpreted.

Wuffles
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jun 2010, 7:31 am

I'm not proud of it, I'm not ashamed of it. It just is, it's different, it interests me.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 10:10 am

Dernhelm23 wrote:
MathGirl wrote:
Am I proud of having this specific label? No, I'm not, because it's an arbitrary label.
Yeah, I'll give you that too. After all, it's not really about the label at all, is it? If your intentions are in the right place, the labels only serve to help you understand yourself and how to adjust your life to make it easier, and to identify you with a community of like-minded potential kindred spirits in a world you never really felt at home in. That's my source of pride anyway.
True, and both my high self-esteem and my non-conformity are boosted by the fact that I am able to identify with a specific community. It gives me a sense of comfort and relief, and coming across as awkward in a group of non-autistics does not bother me anymore. AS is just a tool I've used to fulfill that need of belonging. So while I don't think I can be proud of the tools, I am proud of the results.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 10:56 am

No why should I be proud of it, I didn't win it, I didn't achieve anything. Saying I'm proud of my AS is like saying I'm proud of having hazel eyes or being 5 ft 6. And I'm not ashamed either. Because it's just another part of me.