Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

BelleAmi
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Jul 2013, 6:28 am

[quote="Moog"]Yeah, mostly Schopenhauer.[[quote]

Always! Add Wittgenstein, Nietzsche, Deleuze...... oh hell add 'em all :) Think most true philosophers hate academic small mindedness too.

Arthur Rimbaud.

JimmyGoat
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Jul 2013, 7:00 am

Verdandi wrote:
I've also been told I write like I have a degree in philosophy and an understanding of postmodernism, but I'd never read anything in-depth at that point (well, some Plato for a college project, but that's about it). I'm not sure how much I believe it, but it was flattering.

That's interesting to me - when I was much younger, I was always building systems in my head for social structures and the like, and when I finally made it to University and learned what postmodernism really was, I was fascinated at how some of the things I had observed about human society, and saw as intrinsic thereto, were in fact *postmodern* social ideas. The only example I can think of is that the phrase "It's all relative" had a particular emotional resonance to me at a young age, and I generalized that idea out to every level I could conceive of - I believe that my grasp of this concept was a huge help to me in dealing with the world, because I was always able, in the moment, to fall back on that idea - sometimes when I felt like I was being crushed on an emotional level, it kind of made the ground feel like a trampoline, like no matter how much weight they piled on, I could always stretch the floor just a tiny bit more to get a breath in...

Yes, I would say that the topic is true, of me, anyways.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 1:58 am

I know I definately am I love philosophy and I am obsessed with it.