Page 3 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 1:14 pm

Max000 wrote:

:thumright: Bingo. Maybe by "productive citizens" they mean joining the military and becoming "productive" killing machines for the Republican's four trillion dollar war against Iraq.

Here you go. ----> WP politics forum where you can bash any party you want and it will actually be germane to the threads

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 1:25 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
I'm trying to be tolerant but I'm getting really sick of your sh**. Other people here might want to debate with you but when I see some as*hole who doesn't know even the most basic facts come to an autism forum to tell them they're lazy parasites who drain the system debate isn't at the top of my list. This is a forum for people who are struggling in ways you can't even understand, they are here for help and are stronger than you'll ever be just based on the fact that every hour of every day is a struggle yet they don't give up. If you want to help stay, if you want to continue subjecting these people to the ignorance this forum is supposed to be their sanctuary from you can go f**k yourself.

:eew:

Last edited by Max000 on 15 May 2012, 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 1:31 pm

Max000 wrote:

eew

I appreciate the time you spent on your reply but could you get the quote right?

*edit* your screwed up quote screwed up my quote.

Max000
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 2:08 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
Max000 wrote:

eew

I appreciate the time you spent on your reply but could you get the quote right?

*edit* your screwed up quote screwed up my quote.

Yeah, that must be it. :roll:

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 2:21 pm

Max000 wrote:
scubasteve wrote:
Max000 wrote:
Over 85% of Asperger's people are unemployed.

[citation needed]

:arrow: Google: "85% unemployment for aspies" About 8,270 results

Is that enough citation for you?

If you Google 85%, you're only going to get results that say 85%.

Furthermore, those results all seem to have different versions of that statistic (ie. one says "85% in the U.K.", one says "It is estimated that 85%...", etc...)

None of these pages seemed to reference an actual academic source for this statistic.

So, as I said before... [citation needed]

Last edited by scubasteve on 15 May 2012, 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monkeyfoot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 May 2012, 2:22 pm

Ataraxis wrote:
Does anyone know how an adult goes about getting an official diagnosis for AS?.

Ataraxis, try http://www.idahoasg.org/MedicalResources.html. i had to call around a few places by me and a psychologist that deals with children with autism pointed me in the right direction for adult diagnosis.

as far as those that question why someone needs a professional diagnosis, please understand that NOT knowing one way or the other is a big issue for some of us. when i first suspected i had aspergers, i became obsessed with getting a definitive answer from a professional. i completely function in black and white, and personally saw self-diagnosis as a grey area that i was not comfortable with. in my case i wasn't looking for assistance of any type, i simply HAD TO KNOW. call it OCD or whatever you will, but i couldn't let it go.

while i've been very fortunate in my life to have a successful career and supportive wife, the diagnosis allowed me to understand some of the ways i uniquely function.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 2:33 pm

scubasteve wrote:
Max000 wrote:
scubasteve wrote:
Max000 wrote:
Over 85% of Asperger's people are unemployed.

[citation needed]

:arrow: Google: "85% unemployment for aspies" About 8,270 results

Is that enough citation for you?

If you Google 85%, you're only going to get results that say 85%.

Furthermore, those results all seem to have different versions of that statistic (ie. one says "85% in the U.K.", one says "It is estimated that 85%...", etc...)

None of these pages seemed to reference an actual academic source for this statistic.

So, as I said before... [citation needed]

Well I'll see what I can do about that...

luvntiedye
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 May 2012, 3:59 pm

Please don't take offense at what I said. I didn't mean you specifically. I just meant that at least it's not completely disabling for all of us. I realize there are an awful lot of people on the spectrum that really aren't functional enough for the work force. I know a few of those people, and I don't feel that they're lazy-- they do what they can.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 5:15 pm

luvntiedye wrote:
Please don't take offense at what I said. I didn't mean you specifically. I just meant that at least it's not completely disabling for all of us. I realize there are an awful lot of people on the spectrum that really aren't functional enough for the work force. I know a few of those people, and I don't feel that they're lazy-- they do what they can.

I suspect there are lots of people with AS who are unemployed who could be extremely competent and productive, but just couldn't leap the discriminatory barriers in education and employment. In some cases I don't think this is even a case of severity, but simply pure chance in terms of environment.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 5:17 pm

edgewaters wrote:
luvntiedye wrote:

I suspect there are lots of people with AS who are unemployed who could be extremely competent and productive, but just couldn't leap the discriminatory barriers in education and employment. In some cases I don't think this is even a case of severity, but simply pure chance in terms of environment.

I can function in a supportive, peaceful environment........but realistically that does not describe most jobs.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 5:28 pm

I posted a link for you guys on page 2 in my reply to cavendish. Apparently none of you looked at it because page 3 is mostly about a citation. No need to thank me max, because I know you won't.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 6:10 pm

I got DXed because I was cracking under the pressure of my job, so I dragged my sorry self to the mental health office and the clinical psychologist told me I have AS.

I do not have a "difference" or a "personality type." I have a disability. I think I can work, and I dearly hope I can work, but, if it turns out I crash and burn in the civilian world, I don't "owe" anybody anything. Disability checks are just a "tax on a***holes." Hiring people in wheelchairs too inconvenient? Great. You can throw a few pennies their way on account of your being a moron.

Anyway, "Asperger's Disorder" was originally conceived as.......well...a disorder. The fact that some people now see it as just another word for "introverted geek" is completely beside the point. If you were/are diagnosable with AS, then that implies you have some sort of impairment (or it should....I don't agree with DXing people with mental disorders just so they can feel like they "belong" to a community).

Oh, and brains are physical. Brain problems are therefore PHYSICAL problems. There's no separation between "brain" and "body."

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 6:16 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
I got DXed because I was cracking under the pressure of my job, so I dragged my sorry self to the mental health office and the clinical psychologist told me I have AS.

I do not have a "difference" or a "personality type." I have a disability. I think I can work, and I dearly hope I can work, but, if it turns out I crash and burn in the civilian world, I don't "owe" anybody anything. Disability checks are just a "tax on a***holes." Hiring people in wheelchairs too inconvenient? Great. You can throw a few pennies their way on account of your being a moron.

Anyway, "Asperger's Disorder" was originally conceived as.......well...a disorder. The fact that some people now see it as just another word for "introverted geek" is completely beside the point. If you were/are diagnosable with AS, then that implies you have some sort of impairment (or it should....I don't agree with DXing people with mental disorders just so they can feel like they "belong" to a community).

Oh, and brains are physical. Brain problems are therefore PHYSICAL problems. There's no separation between "brain" and "body."

all in all +1

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 6:23 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
I posted a link for you guys on page 2 in my reply to cavendish. Apparently none of you looked at it because page 3 is mostly about a citation. No need to thank me max, because I know you won't.

http://www.autismcenter.org/documents/o ... sprint.pdf was a terrific read. It looks like a huge project putting that together. I especially liked the second part about architecture. I can't imagine living in an institution though... even if everything is thought out and built considering my sensibilities and hangups.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 6:51 pm

tall-p wrote:
Rascal77s wrote:

http://www.autismcenter.org/documents/o ... sprint.pdf was a terrific read. It looks like a huge project putting that together. I especially liked the second part about architecture. I can't imagine living in an institution though... even if everything is thought out and built considering my sensibilities and hangups.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I posted the link to help max out with the citation but you're right it is a very interesting read. Pretty impressive group they put together for this too.

P.S. Your gallery is awesome! My favorites were Born Again, A Mask, Nature Walk, Whose Woods Are These, and Redlight.

cavendish
Raven
Raven

15 May 2012, 7:12 pm

Twenty years ago the system would have come up with a different diagnosis for Aspergers, and twenty years before that yet another one.... etc. The mental health types are quick to throw around labels but they really don't know what to do with a whole lot of cases, and that includes Aspergers. I am in my fifties, and I thought that autism was for very legitimately serious cases, such as those who just sit there, not speaking, and are way out of touch with "reality" That surely doesn't apply to what seems to be the large majority of people here.

Monkeyfoot wrote:
Ataraxis wrote:
Does anyone know how an adult goes about getting an official diagnosis for AS?.

Ataraxis, try http://www.idahoasg.org/MedicalResources.html. i had to call around a few places by me and a psychologist that deals with children with autism pointed me in the right direction for adult diagnosis.

as far as those that question why someone needs a professional diagnosis, please understand that NOT knowing one way or the other is a big issue for some of us. when i first suspected i had aspergers, i became obsessed with getting a definitive answer from a professional. i completely function in black and white, and personally saw self-diagnosis as a grey area that i was not comfortable with. in my case i wasn't looking for assistance of any type, i simply HAD TO KNOW. call it OCD or whatever you will, but i couldn't let it go.

while i've been very fortunate in my life to have a successful career and supportive wife, the diagnosis allowed me to understand some of the ways i uniquely function.