High School male with AS stabs classmate.

Page 3 of 11 [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

19 Jan 2007, 9:58 pm

Reminds of an epoisode of "Peoples Court" I saw like 20 years ago
in which a nerdy thin guy hit a guy with a hammer. The bully was
a little bigger in build but about the same height. The judge felt it was very unreasonable for the hammer to be used.

Bringing a deadly weapon into a fight that your unlikely to die from
if you lose is a crime. No question about it.

But that being said if someone attacks me I'm going to use every means to stop them. I do not faught the guy for using the knife but
I support law and order to and he will have to serve some time for this. I think the bullying and the impulsive nature of hyperactivity
(ADHD-H) would be mitiagting circumstances so ideally if I was the judge I would confine him till he was 21.

Prescott
Raven
Raven

19 Jan 2007, 10:37 pm

Nowhere in that article does it mention bullying. The victim was a reportedly a special needs student. How often do SpEd students bully others? Usually they are bullied. In other articles about the incident, interviewed students never knew the victim because he was "A special needs student who was with his teacher all the time". Details like these are being pulled down off of news sites as quickly as they went up, so who knows what is true.

The murderer was reportedly obsessed with weapons and violence, and had been talking about killing people for some time. So let's wait until we get all of the details before declaring him a hero.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2007, 10:57 pm

Prescott wrote:
Nowhere in that article does it mention bullying. The victim was a reportedly a special needs student. How often do SpEd students bully others? Usually they are bullied. In other articles about the incident, interviewed students never knew the victim because he was "A special needs student who was with his teacher all the time". Details like these are being pulled down off of news sites as quickly as they went up, so who knows what is true.

The murderer was reportedly obsessed with weapons and violence, and had been talking about killing people for some time. So let's wait until we get all of the details before declaring him a hero.

Good point we really no nothing about this story.

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2007, 11:05 pm

Prescott wrote:
Nowhere in that article does it mention bullying.

I noticed that too, but I assumed KenM was privy to some other source of information.

Immortal
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2007, 11:53 pm

ahayes wrote:
QL wrote:
Being bullied does not justified murder. Is it wrong to stand up for yourself? No, but if your too much of a coward to do it like a man and resort to something like this then you get no sympathy. The bullying he's going to get in prison for the rest of his life is going a hell of alot worse than it would of been the couple years it would of been in high school.

BULLYING IS OBVIOUSLY NOT SOMETHING YOU'VE HAD TO DEAL WITH TO ANY EXTENT.

IT'S ATTITUDES LIKE THIS THAT MAKES THESE THINGS HAPPEN. YOU NEVER FOR ONE INSTANCE THINK OF HOW TO PREVENT SOMEBODY FROM WANTING TO DO THIS. YOU THINK BULLYING IS OKAY, YOU MAY SAY OTHERWISE TO BE MORE DIPLOMATIC, BUT DEEP DOWN THIS IS WHAT YOU REALLY THINK. IF SOMEBODY HAD INTERVEINED AND PUNISHED THE BULLY AND MADE SURE IT WOULDN'T HAPPEN AGAIN THE BULLY WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN KILLED.

YOU'RE PROBABLY THE SAME PERSON THAT BLAMES A TIGER FOR KILLING SOMEBODY WHEN THAT SOMEBODY WAS PROVOKING THE HELL OUT OF THE TIGER.

THE ONLY PEOPLE THAT ARE TO BLAME ARE THE BULLY AND THE NEGLIGENT PEOPLE WHO LET THE BULLYING HAPPEN.

So tell me, would I be wrong to kill my rapist? I am sure lots of people would sympathise with me if I did, but does that mean it's not wrong? Just because you sympathise with this boy, and understand what he was going through......that doesn't mean that the stabbing of his bully was a justified act. The same person who may be *your* bully is someone else's son, daughter, brother, sister, lover...imagine if someone just yanked one of those people out of your life? Nothing justifies taking another human life, no matter what they've done. I'm not saying don't stand up for yourself...but not like this.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2007, 12:10 am

Immortal wrote:
ahayes wrote:
QL wrote:
Being bullied does not justified murder. Is it wrong to stand up for yourself? No, but if your too much of a coward to do it like a man and resort to something like this then you get no sympathy. The bullying he's going to get in prison for the rest of his life is going a hell of alot worse than it would of been the couple years it would of been in high school.

IT'S ATTITUDES LIKE THIS THAT MAKES THESE THINGS HAPPEN. YOU NEVER FOR ONE INSTANCE THINK OF HOW TO PREVENT SOMEBODY FROM WANTING TO DO THIS. YOU THINK BULLYING IS OKAY, YOU MAY SAY OTHERWISE TO BE MORE DIPLOMATIC, BUT DEEP DOWN THIS IS WHAT YOU REALLY THINK. IF SOMEBODY HAD INTERVEINED AND PUNISHED THE BULLY AND MADE SURE IT WOULDN'T HAPPEN AGAIN THE BULLY WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN KILLED.

YOU'RE PROBABLY THE SAME PERSON THAT BLAMES A TIGER FOR KILLING SOMEBODY WHEN THAT SOMEBODY WAS PROVOKING THE HELL OUT OF THE TIGER.

THE ONLY PEOPLE THAT ARE TO BLAME ARE THE BULLY AND THE NEGLIGENT PEOPLE WHO LET THE BULLYING HAPPEN.

So tell me, would I be wrong to kill my rapist? I am sure lots of people would sympathise with me if I did, but does that mean it's not wrong? Just because you sympathise with this boy, and understand what he was going through......that doesn't mean that the stabbing of his bully was a justified act. The same person who may be *your* bully is someone else's son, daughter, brother, sister, lover...imagine if someone just yanked one of those people out of your life? Nothing justifies taking another human life, no matter what they've done. I'm not saying don't stand up for yourself...but not like this.

You still don't get it! The victim of the bully is always the first person people blame and don't even think about the other factors. THIS ATTITUDE NEEDS TO BE RECTIFIED. Not once will anyone thing that maybe somebody should have stopped this bully. Maybe we need to do a better job of stopping and punishing bullies so that they DON'T get killed by that one victim who's had enough. If all you do is attack the person who snaps you're just trying to treat the symptoms, you're not curing the illness.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2007, 12:12 am

Immortal wrote:
.....that doesn't mean that the stabbing of his bully was a justified act. The same person who may be *your* bully is someone else's son, daughter, brother, sister, lover...imagine if someone just yanked one of those people out of your life? Nothing justifies taking another human life, no matter what they've done. I'm not saying don't stand up for yourself...but not like this.

Yeah its not and eye for and eye. A human life is worth like a few million dollars in typical value by insurnance companies.

A brusie requiring no medical attention is a small claims case say under $10,000.

You can not cause $3,000,000 in damages for a $10,000 infraction.
And expect a pet on the back.

Immortal
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2007, 12:21 am

ahayes wrote:
Immortal wrote:
ahayes wrote:
QL wrote:

You still don't get it! The victim of the bully is always the first person people blame and don't even think about the other factors. THIS ATTITUDE NEEDS TO BE RECTIFIED. Not once will anyone thing that maybe somebody should have stopped this bully. Maybe we need to do a better job of stopping and punishing bullies so that they DON'T get killed by that one victim who's had enough. If all you do is attack the person who snaps you're just trying to treat the symptoms, you're not curing the illness.

Did I ever in my post say not to do anything about it? I said that the murder was not justified, I mentioned nothing about prevention. What *you* don't get is that just because you have not, in your experience, seen prevention and intervention from bullies, that does not mean that every bullied student who is pushed too far is justified to kill.

And for what it's worth...My school *did* have a system of bully intervention, and I was a part of it. It started when I was in middle school, and I was elected to the student board by the teachers.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2007, 12:38 am

Immortal wrote:
ahayes wrote:
Immortal wrote:
ahayes wrote:
QL wrote:

Did I ever in my post say not to do anything about it? I said that the murder was not justified, I mentioned nothing about prevention. What *you* don't get is that just because you have not, in your experience, seen prevention and intervention from bullies, that does not mean that every bullied student who is pushed too far is justified to kill.

And for what it's worth...My school *did* have a system of bully intervention, and I was a part of it. It started when I was in middle school, and I was elected to the student board by the teachers.

I'm not saying it was just or okay, but it still does NOT make the kid a murderer. You're treating the situation like the kid with AS just walked up and killed somebody, as if it was entirely his fault. The people who let this continue are ALSO responsible.

Immortal
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2007, 12:48 am

ahayes wrote:
I'm not saying it was just or okay, but it still does NOT make the kid a murderer. You're treating the situation like the kid with AS just walked up and killed somebody, as if it was entirely his fault. The people who let this continue are ALSO responsible.

I do not know the entirety of the situation, but I do agree. I don't think it was a planned assault as he was being charged with....I think he may have started to carry the knife because he felt threatened. And his statements after showed that he honestly never intended the other boy to die...They were in a fight, and he was angry. I wasn't there but it is my opinion that he was defending himself and got carried away, likely due to anger...or being provoked. That does not make it the planned murder for which he is being charged.

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2007, 1:11 am

The problem with punishing him harshly now is that it is unlikely to stop other people from doing the same as kids don't watch the news (generally not even aspie kids) so they won't know or care what sentence he got. From what I have heard about it so far it sounds totally accidental or snappish either way it will probably be a manslaughter conviction (accidental death can be murder 2 or 3 but chances are they would plead him down do to migitgating circimstances... aka the fact that he is a 16 year old sped student with a server developmental disability, and if it was snappish EED (extreme emotional distress, sorta like temporary insanity)=manslaughter) or he will plead insane (from the sound of it he is pretty close) and try to get treatment even if it is unlikely that he will be treated. Though then again I don't know all the details about this case thats just what it sounds like so far, this defientally doesn't seem like murder 1 to me though, no matter how much he obsessed about weapons (which seems like its over-emphasied and no more then a preservation, although certianaly a negative one). The one way I see him getting murder 1 or 2 is if the boy found out about the knife and he used it to keep him quiet not realizing he was killing him, hopefully thats not the case. I hope some of that made sense I am a bit tired.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2007, 1:14 am

The problem with punishing him harshly now is that it is unlikely to stop other people from doing the same as kids don't watch the news (generally not even aspie kids) so they won't know or care what sentence he got. From what I have heard about it so far it sounds totally accidental or snappish either way it will probably be a manslaughter conviction (accidental death can be murder 2 or 3 but chances are they would plead him down do to migitgating circimstances... aka the fact that he is a 16 year old sped student with a server developmental disability, and if it was snappish EED (extreme emotional distress, sorta like temporary insanity)=manslaughter) or he will plead insane (from the sound of it he is pretty close) and try to get treatment even if it is unlikely that he will be treated. Though then again I don't know all the details about this case thats just what it sounds like so far, this defientally doesn't seem like murder 1 to me though, no matter how much he obsessed about weapons (which seems like its over-emphasied and no more then a preservation, although certianaly a negative one). The one way I see him getting murder 1 or 2 is if the boy found out about the knife and he used it to keep him quiet not realizing he was killing him, hopefully thats not the case. I hope some of that made sense I am a bit tired.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2007, 1:40 am

Endersdragon wrote:
The problem with punishing him harshly now is that it is unlikely to stop other people from doing the same as kids don't watch the news (generally not even aspie kids) so they won't know or care what sentence he got.

I think it also sends the message to bullies that:
A. Nobody will stop you from doing it
B. If your victem tries to defend themselves they'll be punished severely

sderenzi
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jan 2007, 2:47 am

I really like you all, this is nice place with good people in it. Me has re-read the posting an concluded there wasn't ever any specific bullying going on, it mentions this not my friend :-) I do think bullying is like hell, an I live it long time since school days. Me not glad for school, happy ended.

Perhaps true he carried for protection, then was attacked or similar an such. Many atime I wanted to kill bully, but in my case there was so many it pointless lmao

I want to mention to all of you even though in prison he'll be bullied much more and in a hell, at least there he knows what he's instore for. In school you never know, and in a way it's much more horrible than living in a jail place. Of course I'd prefer nobody get in trouble, that boy not be hurt.. yes well that it.

Thank u for readin

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2007, 4:00 am

Frack.....

Droopy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jan 2007, 4:28 am

That's just great! So now people are going to stereotype anyone who claims to have Asperger Syndrom. We're going to fall in the category of "ka-razy" and have the the potential to harm others.