Official International Wrong Planet Conference / Festival

Page 25 of 29 [ 450 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next

JonAZ
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Jan 2013, 2:02 am

Las Vegas is a great place because it is dirt cheap.

Some hotels in upscale hotels Las Vegas appeal to the quiet crowd.

I will need about one year advance notice to arrange time off and save money for the event.

www.manyperceptions.org

My son has autism.

Browncoat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Feb 2013, 8:31 pm

I'm kind of wondering if it might almost work better to have multiple simultaneous events across the country (or world) to make travel easier.

MDShinobi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Feb 2013, 6:32 am

I'm so for this - I'd be ecstatic. But this post was made in 2011 - is this still an idea?

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 8:51 pm

If a location hasn't been decided yet for this convention, and if anyone wants this convention in a much quieter city, may I suggest Portland?

-Portland is a very "tolerant" city, although I'm not sure how "tolerant" Portlanders would be towards we Aspies.

-There are two facilities where the convention could be held at; the Portland Expo Center and the Oregon Convention Center.

-Portland has many places that can be subjects for conversations, just like all other cities.
{Link: http://www.travelportland.com/}

However, what stinks about Portland is that Portland is considered by many as the "Hipster Capital" of the US, and although it's great that Portland no longer has a hipster for a mayor, it would be very likely this convention would be protested against by "tolerant" citizens of Portland.

BTW, the above link is for the website for the Portland Visitors Bureau.

Devotchka
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Feb 2013, 3:39 am

What an amazing idea!!
I can't wait to go! Alex, is there a tentative date for this conference?
I'm definitely going wherever in the US it ends up being, but for a convention further in the future could you consider Austin or Houston? They are somewhat centrally located within the US, Houston has a major airport and Austin likes to keep it weird! Also it seems that there are a lot of people on the spectrum in Texas!

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2013, 11:06 pm

Love it or not, I am going to have to do some event planning for a conference happening in my very small city next year. Would like to apply my soon to be learned skills here too, if I can. Will have to do it virtually as I am a Canuck.

alex
Developer
Developer

01 Mar 2013, 3:02 pm

N33D2focus2 wrote:
Alex, have dates been set for this conference? I am very excited about this prospect for many reasons.

Not yet. We need to find a suitable location first.

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2013, 6:53 pm

Hey there,

Thought I would throw it out there that I used to do information gathering for a municipal database on their social and recreational amenities, and I also used to be a skilled telemarketer/ data gatherer and am now a librarian, so if you need any assistance on this, I am more than happy to help look places up that are suitable, within defined parameters that I would be more than happy to suggest.

Kindest regards,
Tina

angelbee
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Mar 2013, 1:48 am

I am all for going, I will rob a bank just to get me there from Australia.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

29 Mar 2013, 8:47 am

alex wrote:
N33D2focus2 wrote:
Alex, have dates been set for this conference? I am very excited about this prospect for many reasons.

How about D.C. since it's near the HQ of Autism Rights Watch? D.C. has multiple conference centers.

The East Coast U.S. would be better for those who may live in Europe as well. The West Coast is too isolated and, aside from California, underpopulated.

Toronto would be another good compromise location.

theshawngorton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Mar 2013, 8:50 pm

I'm game for anywhere it's placed, as long as it's within North America and isn't Hawaii/Alaska.

AIWS
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Apr 2013, 2:41 pm

I would be interested to join if there will be something like that in Europe.

Mahogany
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Apr 2013, 4:07 pm

Sounds like a great idea. Will look forward to more details. I love San Diego, Portland, San Fran, or Austin as locations. Hope it doesn't happen while I'm out of the country.

Also, if anyone were interested, I've given conferences presentations on several Aspie topics including arranging accommodations inthe workplace and in the college classroom, and sexuality (issues, techniques, etc.).

Fun times ahead!

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 10:53 pm

alex wrote:
N33D2focus2 wrote:

I hope this is still in the works. Although, I'm not sure I would attend -- even though I would LOVE to -- because of my fear and discomfort with parties.

As far as locations go, here in Texas there are several cities that have great hosting facilities, and Texas is centralized in the country, so it wouldn't be too far for anyone. Dallas/Fort Worth is a possibility, and because it's a major airport it would an easy destination for everyone to get to without a lot of changing of planes. Austin is good too because of its progressive attitude towards life in general -- I doubt there would be too much in the way of problems. Houston is great for food -- hundreds of great restaurants and good facilities downtown.

A scheduled date would make sense to be in April, being Autism Awareness month, but I guess it makes more sense to choose a date based on the climate of the area and the time of year.

esoterica181
Raven
Raven

17 May 2013, 11:19 am

I'm locked on this thread to see how the idea materializes and how I can be of use. I'm a really good solicitor.

Janelle

point_blank
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 May 2013, 5:32 am

AIWS wrote:
I would be interested to join if there will be something like that in Europe.

me too! it sounds like a good experience.

i wonder if they have this sort of thing in my country? maybe we can steal the idea if we don't :mrgreen: