Are you into going for a walk every day?

Page 6 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 1:10 am

Dear_one wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
EzraS wrote:
I'm so lucky to have both hills and beach. The beaches here have more small rocks than sand, which is too bad because sand feels better. But like sand the rocks give a good workout. Anytime I don't get myself out the door I feel like I have trashed a day. I'm just so into walking around and looking at stuff. Bicycling counts too as far as I'm concerned. I would ride a bike instead of walking sometimes, but for me personally I would end up crashing it too much. Even just walking I'm in danger of crashing haha.

you need a nice mild recumbent bike, those are much easier to ride. something like an old Bikee AT like what I have.

I must repeat, for the benefit of all our balance-challenged members, the Bike-E is the hardest-to-ride recumbent that ever got produced in significant numbers. I have another friend with one, an expert skier, and he won't ride it or even make the effort to try a different recumbent, it made such a bad impression. Most bicycles are stable in motion without steering inputs, but not the Bike-E. As well as needing constant adjustment to stay upright, compared to a regular bike, it needs faster, larger steering motions to balance. Aunt Blabby loves his, but not enough to fix a flat and ride it again, which is a normal part of bike use.

it was as intuitively easy to ride, as a sun recumbent trike I had before.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 1:12 am

EzraS wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
EzraS wrote:
I'm so lucky to have both hills and beach. The beaches here have more small rocks than sand, which is too bad because sand feels better. But like sand the rocks give a good workout. Anytime I don't get myself out the door I feel like I have trashed a day. I'm just so into walking around and looking at stuff. Bicycling counts too as far as I'm concerned. I would ride a bike instead of walking sometimes, but for me personally I would end up crashing it too much. Even just walking I'm in danger of crashing haha.

you need a nice mild recumbent bike, those are much easier to ride. something like an old Bikee AT like what I have.

Ah yes I saw someone cruising around on one of those the other day. They even have ones with three wheels.

it was the easiest one for me to ride, hands down. the others required far more natural athletic grace than what I got. but beware the trikes, I useta ride one but the lack of a suspension plus the lateral hobby-horse movement under the seat, contributed to my shot lumbar region.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 10:04 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Ezra, a walk in Manhattan (especially) would be quite the experience. For one not accustomed, though, adjustments have to be made. The sensory aspect is rather extreme in some places--not so much because of the lights, but because of the people bumping into you. If you do walk in Manhattan, I would take someone with you. It's Seattle multiplied at least 10 times.

If you're above 14th Street (15th Street or higher), it's not easy to get lost in Manhattan. Below 14th Street is a different story. If you go below 14th Street and you have nobody with you, stick to the avenues and the big streets.

The Brooklyn Bridge is usually rather crowded on sunny days, even in winter. Mostly filled with tourists.

If you're outside Manhattan--especially in parts of Queens and Staten Island, the walk would remind you of walking in the suburbs of Seattle. Not that much different, really.

I've was taken all over the Las Vegas Strip so much I'm pretty immune to crowded places and lights etc. Although I have to wear sunglasses and earphones, have a hoodie pulled over my head and have someone act as both guide and play interference for me.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 10:14 am

auntblabby wrote:
EzraS wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Ah yes I saw someone cruising around on one of those the other day. They even have ones with three wheels.

it was the easiest one for me to ride, hands down. the others required far more natural athletic grace than what I got. but beware the trikes, I useta ride one but the lack of a suspension plus the lateral hobby-horse movement under the seat, contributed to my shot lumbar region.

I would get one specifically designed for physically disabled people. Maybe my insurance would cover some of the cost.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 11:55 am

I've been to the Strip. Nothing like Fifth Avenue in Manhattan, NYC, during the working week.

It's similar on the Strip, but less intense.

The Strip reminds me of less-traveled parts of Manhattan.