does aspergers mean we get the short end of the stick?

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Psygirl6
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jul 2009, 8:54 am

When it comes to "short end of the stick for me" it is because:
1. even though I am intelligent, because of my "disability", I get treated like I have no brain and people feel they need to control and/or help me, when I am perfectly capable of taking care of myself and do not need staff, family and/or anyone else to boss me around like I am an incapable child.

2. When it comes to my quirks or problems, because I am intelligent not mentally ret*d, people treat my Asperger's symptoms and my Asperger's like it is a "behavior" problem, not an actually disability.
Yet, I do not have any behaviors or do anything to harm, insult, or hurt anyone or myself. The only problem I have is not being able to understand, sympathize and/or empathize with other people. I also have trouble with understanding and social cues, non-verbal cues. I am also emotionally immature, where I am very sensitive to stress and everything, but all I do is cry and shut down, not melt down and do anything that is considered a "behavioral" issue. I do not have "melt downs" at all. i actually have shut downs, where I am withdrawn, may have problems with being in conversations, and act unaware but that is it.

Pretty much, I am an intelligent person who gets treated like I am "stupid", yet, I am a sensitive Aspie who get treated like I am bad, defiant and ignorant, when i am just someone who has trouble with understanding others,can not handle any stress, emotional sensitive which leads to "shut downs" and/or relate well to other people.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2009, 10:01 am

Joshandspot wrote:
now that i think about it that was a horrible question...i've been asking alot of whys as to autism and trying to convince myself there are positives in it but when someone throws a short end of the stick comment (therefore saying our lives are less than the majority of the population)

Negatives do not mean less value/worth than others!

Positives do not mean more worth than others!

Everybody's equal, no matter if they got lots of deficits or not. You cannot measure a person's worth by how much they can do or how well they can do something. It's a common way of thinking and often without meaning harm to others, but this line of thinking is still causing lots of harm nevertheless and many people remain unaware of it. (If it wouldn't cause harm, we wouldn't need the ASD label and we'd all be perfectly fine and supported because everybody in the world would be and nobody would mind it)

Ultimately, adopting this prominent thinking is going to lead to that not only those with differences will always be discriminated against in intentional and unintentional ways, but also lead to that all people constantly worry about and question their worth as a person. Others thinking that negatives/positive relate to how much a person is worth think immoral no matter their intention.

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2009, 11:18 am

Sora wrote:
Everybody's equal, no matter if they got lots of deficits or not.

Here I go again... Sorry, You probably did not mean that the way I understood it. But everybody is not equal. They are different from each other. Equality would imply similarity to some degree. However, their value (if could be measured) should be equal, and they should have equal rights.

I tend to think in mathematical terms sometimes, so perhaps this was one of those times. :?

meeemoi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jul 2011, 1:20 am

i think we do get the short end of the stick alot, I think its a social thing mostly.

When asking for some thing,
trying to solve a problem,
negotiating,
expressing discontent,
dealing with conflict,
or anything along those lines

I find that it is very hard, Im not sure but i think it is mainly to do with the small talk issue, Being unable to bring up topics and smooth things over with small talk we tend to leave things hanging some how. which is worse then acting rude and then smoothing over.

Often when i know that i am right on many degrees and decide to confront what ends up happening is the other party twists things around making me look like the bad guy, even though the main things i am right on, they will find some insignificant thing and focus on it making me sound like the bad guy.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 2:08 am

The taste of victory is always greatest when faced with unfavorable odds.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

30 Jul 2011, 2:12 am

Pretty much.