Are u biased in favor of a poster for their avatar?

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Do avatars influence you positively about a poster?
Yes 29%  29%  [ 12 ]
No 21%  21%  [ 9 ]
Maybe 38%  38%  [ 16 ]
Greentea, how silly can you get? But let me see 'em results anyway! 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 42

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2009, 12:28 pm

How silly can it be, yes, but I find that anyone with a Simpsons' avatar elicits more sympathy and compassion from me. Beats me why...

Am I the only one?

activebutodd
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2009, 12:34 pm

I've noticed that a few Big Bang fans expressed their appreciation for my Sheldon, but personally... I don't really know, it helps me recognise members more quickly but my preferences tend to be sensory, eg no flashing lights or lots of movement. Sometimes if I see them I have to cover them with my hand so I can read the posts.

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2009, 12:35 pm

Even though I voted "how silly can you get", will say that yes, avatars given me impressions, be that fairly or unfairly.

activebutodd
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2009, 12:40 pm

Forgot to mention - I'll like or be indifferent to an avatar (don't remember if there's one I really dislike), but I'm not sure if I'll have a bias from it. Unless it indicates a shared interest? That's the only way I could think of that happening.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2009, 12:52 pm

activebutodd, your avatar too causes favorable bias in me towards you. You seem like this very young, innocent, well-meaning guy (though maybe you're an old lady like me, I have no idea).

southwest, you traitor! :wink: :wink: :)

activebutodd
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2009, 1:00 pm

Greentea wrote:
activebutodd, your avatar too causes favorable bias in me towards you. You seem like this very young, innocent, well-meaning guy (though maybe you're an old lady like me, I have no idea).

southwest, you traitor! :wink: :wink: :)

3 out of four ain't bad :wink:

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2009, 1:10 pm

So...young, innocent, well-meaning and girl, I take it?

activebutodd
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2009, 1:14 pm

Yeah.

The impression I was going for when I chose was someone well meaningly aping the desired response.
Like Sheldon coming up with that grin when people asked him to smile :lol:
I figured people would think of the Big Bang episode and get where I was coming from. Get that I was usually meaning well :)

Last edited by activebutodd on 02 Aug 2009, 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2009, 1:16 pm

i think avatars are usually an example of either how someone wants to be perceived or what they want to be associated with. ever since i was 12 i've kept to the motto "f* who you are. be who you want to be." and i think it's important to know not only the "real" person but also the "avatar" they present themselves as. in this case, it just so happens that online you're given a spot to put a picture of that avatar.

so i'll take the time to read someone's post if i am skimming through just because i recognize or enjoy their avatar.

dune avatars get me every time.

my own is the album cover from vnv nation's "of Faith, Power, and Glory" and i'd imagine that if i saw another vnv nation avatar i'd probably find that person interesting or even seek out conversation even if the post attached was dribble.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2009, 1:17 pm

Brilliant idea!

02 Aug 2009, 1:25 pm

I admit I have been fascinated by some avatars in the past and liked them a lot and then it make me like that person or pay attention to their posts more because of their avatar. The rest that don't fascinate me, I don't really pay attention.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2009, 1:57 pm

oops, my reply was for activebutodd.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

02 Aug 2009, 2:06 pm

my avatar is of my partner the green lantern holla back boy! yeah!!

im going to put it in a bracelet and rock it on the town

scorpileo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2009, 2:06 pm

yes avatars to afect my jugdement...

also i think somone should make a intepret the aboveposters avatar thread... good idea... or not.

Last edited by scorpileo on 02 Aug 2009, 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteveeVader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Aug 2009, 2:07 pm

Nah I am a renouned cynic but nah I take it as I leave it if they speak crap it crap a pretty picture don't change nothing

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2009, 2:29 pm

Yes, avatars affect my perception of the people they belong to. What is interesting is watching certain members regularly change their avatars, while others do not.

My own choice of avatar just seemed obvious, given my username and my profound obsession with plants. I can't see why I'd ever change it. It's who I am.