Do ALL Aspies or Auties dislike bieing hugged or touched?

Page 4 of 11 [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2009, 1:38 am

I don't mind being touched as long as I can see it coming. My friend once snuck behind me between classes one day, and tapped me on the shoulder: I responded by turning around and hitting him in the stomach with a palm strike. He was ok and I didnt get in trouble, but after that he made sure not to touch me unless I could see him.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

idiocratik
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2009, 2:29 am

I generally don't like any affection unless it's from a significant other (and I haven't had one of those in 5 years).

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2009, 3:01 am

If I really, really, really (insert another billion or so "really"s here) like someone, then I will want physical contact with them. Otherwise, I dislike being touched.
I hate light touch; it burns (gentle is fine, but there has to be at least some pressure; if something is just brushing against my skin, it hurts).
I also hate being touched without warning.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2009, 3:38 am

I usually don't like being touched. Whenever my mom or someone insists on hugging me, i kind of go stiff and they say "put your arms around me!" I can tolerate it, but it makes me uncomfortable. At my sister's wedding one of my relatives that doesn't really know me very well hugged me, and he asked my dad later if i didn't like him for some reason or if he had offended me because i seemed really uptight when he tried to hug me, and dad was just basically like "oh, that's just how she is with EVERYONE, it's not you," lol. I don't really like the contact involved in shaking hands either, but i do it anyway. A few times i've even initiated a handshake or high-five if i thought it was appropriate to the situation. Those are things i can prepare myself for better than something like a hug where they want to get themselves right up on you. 8O I reallly hate being bumped in a crowd or when someone sneaks up on me. Someone i know at work has snuck up behind me a couple times and grabbed my shoulders, but i keep telling her not to do it. It wouldn't bother me so much if i wasn't always already a little stressed just from being at work. I am sensitive to certain feelings, but i don't feel any kind of pain or burning from being touched.. The contact with another person is what i think makes me uncomfortable(don't mind it with non-human animals one bit!).. And if i'm not expecting it it's because of the shock or surprise, i guess. My parents say that when i was a little kid i didn't mind hugs and stuff, though. It's weird, i dunno. But this is one of the reasons that my mom first suspected that i might have AS before i even knew what AS was... Because, aside from the social deficits and obsessions, she heard at some point that a lot of AS people don't like being touched, lol.

idiocratik
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2009, 3:41 am

My mother knows it makes me uncomfortable, but she forces it on me, anyway. She'll want me to kiss her goodbye, and I get anxious, but do it, anyway. :(

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2009, 3:45 am

idiocratik wrote:
My mother knows it makes me uncomfortable, but she forces it on me, anyway. She'll want me to kiss her goodbye, and I get anxious, but do it, anyway. :(

Mine too! She'll just randomly open her arms and say "I KNOW YOU DON'T WANT TO, BUT GIVE ME A HUG!! !" :?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2009, 4:50 am

Tantybi wrote:
With me, it depends on who is doing the hugging and touching. Even when I'm upset, I don't really like strangers hugging me or touching my arm. A good looking guy is okay though ;)

I would rather not be touched by strangers of either gender. I prefer to get to know people before I have physical contact with them. Of course, one must learn to tolerate accidental bumping and touching. In a crowded place that cannot be avoided.

If being touched is very painful or uncomfortable, then one must avoid close contact with others. Stay away from crowds and elevators.

ruveyn

smiffi25147628
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Aug 2009, 5:17 am

Danielismyname wrote:
Don't call me an "aspie" or "autie", they're such stupid names.

My sinceerest apologies. I had no idea those names would offend.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Aug 2009, 5:37 am

pschristmas wrote:
I had that happen the other day -- some guy at the gas station was in line ahead of me and chatting up the cashier while I waited quietly. He turned around and reached out and laid his hand firmly on my shoulder and said something like, "Sorry to hold you up," before he left. I managed to keep a smile on my face and choke out something appropriate, but I'm sure I stiffened up. I don't know what he thought he was doing. He was probably just trying to be friendly in a touchy-feelie kind of way, but I really wished he hadn't.

I wonder if he reported back to his therapeutic touchy-feelie support group that he had got up the courage to touch somebody, and got a round of applause for it.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Aug 2009, 5:43 am

irishwhistle wrote:
They're very huggy at my church, the women all hug, the men all shake your hand. This is supposed to be a good thing. When I sit back and look at it, it seems like a great thing, look at these friendly people, if a new person were to come here to attend church, how welcome they would feel, isn't it a good atmosphere... And I, content to continue attending, would rather they just keep their sweaty paws off me.

I don't understand why these practices continue in the face of that flu that's supposed to wipe us all out this fall. That, and the obligatory practice of shaking hands in business.

visnofskygirl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2009, 7:23 am

ryan93 wrote:
I like being hugged and touched by someone I now well, but I get panicky if a relative does it.

Haha,me either..Hugging a relative makes me feel uncomfortable

akwime1290
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Aug 2009, 10:04 pm

Honestly, it really depends on the person. There are certain people that make me feel really uncomfortable if they get to close to me or try to touch me (it will almost make me shutter if they do). I also really hate if someone pokes me or taps me especially on my shoulder or back.

On the other hand when I am around someone I feel comfortable with (or whom I like) I do not mind when they are very close to me, in fact sometimes I like it. I also love hugging, cuddling, and what not, I'm not sure why but sometimes it feels as if I could do it forever. I guess one's love for hugging, touching, and such really depends on their personality, views, and even what they may seek sensory wise.

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2009, 11:08 am

ruveyn wrote:
Tantybi wrote:
With me, it depends on who is doing the hugging and touching. Even when I'm upset, I don't really like strangers hugging me or touching my arm. A good looking guy is okay though ;)

I would rather not be touched by strangers of either gender. I prefer to get to know people before I have physical contact with them. Of course, one must learn to tolerate accidental bumping and touching. In a crowded place that cannot be avoided.

If being touched is very painful or uncomfortable, then one must avoid close contact with others. Stay away from crowds and elevators.

ruveyn

What about chemistry? Like sometimes, people are like magnets. Some people I push away. Some that I'm attracted to, I tend to just cling without meaning to. All this happens without knowing anything about the person. I'm just wondering if there are people you feel that cling without getting to know them well.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2009, 11:09 am

In terms of whether Auties and Aspies don't like being touched or hugged? Well, this all depends upon the individual as, there are a great many people in the spectrum whom tend to be hyper-sensitive as, they call it and sincerely can't stand to be touched,hugged,etc.. Though on the otherside of that equation so are there individuals whom like to hug or express a fondness of touch in that manner of such..Personally, I'm not fond of being huggged however, I'll make exemptions to that at times when necessary otherwise, I simply choose not to be hugged. I'm not someone whom is devoid of emotional content, merely find it hard to relate to someone on that level at times..

jocundthelilac
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2009, 4:14 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I hate being touched lightly by another person, however I love giving and getting hugs. :O)

Me too :D I love getting hugs :hug:

Magnús Scheving is my Icelandic rose :)

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2009, 6:49 pm

I think it's just best to assume they DON'T like to be touched. But I guess I might be a bit extreme in that I'll yell or hide from people who try or succeed in touching me.