I like to talk with my mum. Is that normal for autistics?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

monjanse
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Jun 2012, 1:47 pm

My mum tells me that it isnt normal for an high funchional autistic or asperger to want to talk and have conversasions with theyr mum or dad. But i love to have comversasions with my mum and dad. Is it thrue that autistic people doesnt like to talk and visit theyr parents?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 1:55 pm

I like talking with my parents. I used to do it all the time when I first moved away. Then I did it less when I got happier and didn't miss them much anymore. But when they are around, I mostly talk to my mother. Now that they have my son, I be talking to them more often about him on the phone.

Every autistic person is different. As a kid I used to come home from school and tell about my day from beginning to end and she would have to listen to me for about three hours and I wouldn't let anyone speak until I was done. I don't do that anymore. My dad thinks it's wasn't that long when I would talk and said she exaggerates. I used to come home and say what other kids did and what things they did to me. But I didn't tell everything obviously because my mom found out at the end of first grade I was in the wrong class all that time because I never told her about inappropriate behavior kids did and got away with. I just had to bring home school behavior and then I apologized for it and said it's school behavior and I forget I was at home and had to do home behavior now. That's how she found out. Just one of those special ed classes back in the days where all kids with disabilities were put in one class.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

pat_can
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jun 2012, 2:00 pm

I like to talk with my mum too but I think she's an aspie :D

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 2:04 pm

I've known my father for about 40 years. In all that time I've spoken to him probably 5 or 6 times. He's gone now.

My mother's still alive but I haven't spoken to her in about 7 or 8 years.

twich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jun 2012, 2:20 pm

I go through phases of wanting to talk and not wanting to talk. My sister who we're pretty sure is autistic too very, very rarely shuts up. I've known other people all over the spectrum who are chatter boxes or rarely talk at all. It depends on the individual. Not ever wanting to talk to people is another classic stereotype I think.

Tomasu
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 3:40 pm

^^ Greetings monjanse. I believe that I really enjoy speaking with my lovely mother and father also. However I am very worried that they do not enjoy when I speak with them as perhaps I speak for a very long time regarding computer games or perhaps films or television programs or Nell and Plato or my university.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 3:48 pm

Even very aloof autistic kids usually want to interact with their parents at least.

compiledkernel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Jun 2012, 3:51 pm

Its possible.

I think alot of Autistics/Apsies talk with their parents alot to associate with people much higher thinking in level than those of their peers. Plus the fact that your parents are not likely going to discount your actions or things you do as "unsual" like most young adults do, that makes them a prime conversational target.

PMs are fine, but my answers are probably going to be weird.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 3:52 pm

My mother is pretty much the only person I talk to.

I lecture the poor woman to death, really.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 3:56 pm

Of course it's normal. In fact, my mom is the person who I love most in the world. Talking with her has helped me more than talking to therapists.

DaBeef2112
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jun 2012, 4:00 pm

I live in a different city then the rest of my family but I call my parents at least 1-2 a month. I also talk to 2/3 of my siblings every couple of months. The only reason I don't call the 3rd is because we have 0 in common so we never have anything to talk about. (Big surprise i'm no good at small talk ;-) )

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 42 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie
AQ = 41 EQ = 9

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 4:03 pm

I live with my mom and we talk all the time. She's one of the few people that I'm emotionally close to.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 4:40 pm

I talk to my mum all the time, about everything. I am really close to my mum, and not a day goes by when she doesn't know how I'm feeling.

As a matter of fact, I actually talk to my mum and open up about my feelings more than my NT cousins do with their mums! And it is acurately true.

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 5:01 pm

If your parents are positive people in your life who care about you and make an effort to understand your problems I don't see why someone with ASD or even autism wouldn't talk to them. My parents are the only people I trust.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 6:40 pm

I like my mother and can talk with her, but it is difficult for me to have much conversation with her at times (e.g. most of the time) because she talks very very loud.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 7:11 pm

I'm really close to my mum and talk to her all the time.