Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

whipstitches
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Sep 2009, 10:34 pm

Well... if listening to the same song repeatedly is a stim...... I am totally guilty of that one. When I go to the gym to use the elliptical trainer thing, I wear headphones and listen to an MP3 player. I close my eyes and listen to the music. I have one song on a repeating loop.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2009, 11:56 pm

Well I am not sure if they are stims, but I do a few things.

Sometimes gently pulling at my hair when I am deep in thought, and the other one is squeezing a small slab of hard plastic which is inside a soft plastic wallet.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Murasame
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Sep 2009, 3:44 am

I do the classic hand wringing and jiggling of the right leg.

At work I’m always playing with my tie and when I’m trying to think about something I’ll often repeatedly button and unbutton the cuffs on my right shirt sleeve.

Klint
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 3:53 am

Right now I'm chewing on my headphones cable. I can't seem to stop :?

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 5:21 am

Cracking and bending my fingers all the time. Oh and chewing stuff.

barbedlotus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Sep 2009, 2:07 am

Playing with jewelry. I love necklaces with a loose pendant so I can run it back and forth on the chain. I don't peel my finger tips but I do press my thumb nail into them a lot. Most the time I don't notice until I see someone staring at my hands.

GreenGrrl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Sep 2009, 3:06 am

Moving my feet around and twisting my body (kinda looks weird in public :P ). I used to grind my teeth a lot when I was younger, because it felt good. I also find that pacing helps me think better, but I'm not sure if that's a stim. I usually notice that I'm stimming about 10 seconds after I've started.

Hershel_Numanox
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Sep 2009, 10:23 am

Tapping out rythms with my fingers on any surface I walk past. I'm sure people notice but I'm way past caring now.

Biting the inside of my lip and cheeks resulting in regular mouth ulsers.

duke666
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Sep 2009, 9:47 pm

I tap syncopated rhythms, mostly in the air. The other day I was buying a new hard drive, and the box made the best sound, so I spent a long time just tapping on it.

I was at the Highland Games today and realized my rhythms are just like the syncopation in traditional bagpipe music.

-The Madness of King George

elf_1half
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Sep 2009, 2:34 pm

Tossing an object from one hand to the other repeatedly (I have a beanie baby for this handy in my room). I also like to listen to songs over and over (which I am doing right now) and I don't know if this counts is a stim but I love to jump up and down on my mini trampoline.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 2:42 pm

I stim by watching favorite cartoons, or playing favorite games (video/computer), or even listening to the music from the games or TV shows.

Sarafina7
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Sep 2009, 2:44 pm

Playing with things, especially pens.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 6:32 pm

Lining up items such as pens and pencils that I'm going to use
Jiggling my legs

jessmc
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Sep 2009, 1:16 pm

You guys will like this one. I type in the air. Constantly. Usually just a repeated random word that has nothing to do with the situation or my thoughts. I will just be standing with my arms down at my sides and typing words over and over again.

I also listen to the same song over and over and over again like some of you mentioned. Like 20 or more times in a row. I always thought it was normal? no? oh'well.

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2009, 2:53 pm

whipstitches wrote:
...touching my fingers. I like to touch each finger to my thumb... over and over.

That's what I do too. Most times I'm not aware that I'm doing it. But I also do it to the beat of my favourite music, or usually counting out the syllables in a sentence I just said. Over and over again.

I also shake my foot when I'm sitting. It really annoys people if I'm sitting on a bench with someone because I don't clue in right away that I'm doing it, and then it takes several nasty looks or throat clearings from the people around me to let me know I'm vibrating the whole bench. :lol:

SplinterStar
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Sep 2009, 3:57 pm

Slinkies. I love the feel of cold metal, the sounds of slinkies, how slinkies move. I'll be totally into my slinky during slow times at work, running it over my skin, making it going down the stairs at the back the the store that leads to the basement. My manager would freak if she knew I goofed off for an hour straight at work with a slinky instead of ret*d busywork or rearranging stuff that was already rearranged.