Do you hate the smell of cleaner/most perfume?

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 2:59 am

Some cleaning stuff bothers me a bit, but i usually like strong smells.. I even kind of like the smell of gasoline. I like the smell of most perfumes unless someone sprays a ton of it in a really tiny room or something, then i just can't breathe. And i like smelling scented things like candles. I smell things all the time actually... i usually smell food before i eat it, i smell my pets, i smell my fingers after i've touched something interesting, anything that i think might have a smell really. I've found something i really like is that Axe "shock" body wash, it smells really strong and it's like you can feel the smell all through your head. I think i have a good sense of smell, though.. at least for certain things. The other day i was somewhere with my grandmother and said "i smell a dog"... and then like five minutes later these people sitting a bit away from us got up and it turned out they had a dog with them. so i guess it's probably weird that i actually *like* strong smells.

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 10:40 am

For me, just about any type of pungent odor that is floating within smelling reach, from perfumes to cleaning supplies to freshly mowed lawns, will often inspire some form of physical discomfort.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 3:34 pm

Ohh, UUUGGGHHH. I HATE the smell of perfumes and cleaners! It's like they burn my nostrils, and it makes me feel naseous and throw up.

Last edited by persian85033 on 07 Sep 2009, 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LP0rc
Raven
Raven

06 Sep 2009, 10:48 pm

My ex hated that I didn't like her perfume, especially in the quantity she wanted to douse herself. We still have a few places in common as we have a kid. If she goes in in the morning for an appointment or something, I can still tell in the afternoon she was there that day from the smell.

The same perfume can smell very different on different people, not just variations in quantity. Same thing with deodorants and soaps. Even for myself, I prefer the "free of dyes and perfumes" products, or a very few certain soaps.

Dryer sheets and fabric softener drive me nuts. I use very little, and never more than a 1/4 dryer sheet. Otherwise the smell is overwhelming, and my skin itches.

Every once in a while I find a brand or formulation that works for me, and invariably they fark with it. "New and Improved" my arse.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 9:04 am

No infact i love it.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2009, 7:55 pm

Like someone else mentioned, it's the artificial scents that are bad. At least for me. It's not the smell that is the problem, but the toxicity.

We get a lot of cars running over skunks around here, and it seems like at least once a week, the smell of skunk comes wafting in through the window. That doesn't bother me all that much. But when the neighbors are doing laundry, I have to close the windows or I get a headache. I think it's those scented drier sheets. Why can't people just accept the smell of clean clothes? It's not as if there is a stench to cover up; the clothes are flipping clean! Why the overpowering chemical perfumes?

On the other hand, natural scents are just fine with me.

As far as perfumes go, one of the worst offenders is Calvin Klein. I rarely open the types of magazines that advertise that stuff, but once in a while you are in a waiting room, and want to read something. So you open up whatever magazine is lying there, and there is a sample card from Obsession or something. Aaaaccckkk!! ! Instant chemical headache, right between the eyes.

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2009, 1:31 pm

I honestly cant stand within 10 feet of a "Bed, Bath, and Beyond," "Yankee Candle Store", or "Bath & Body" stores. I dont mind automotive dealers, but anything that is fumy or overly fragrant, and in mass quantities . . . feels like im suffocating.

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 3:31 pm

I can't bear most kinds of perfume or chemical. They make me feel sick and as if I can't quite get my breath. The only tolerable/pleasant artificial scents are some men's aftershaves; I sometimes pass men who smell quite nice (am female).

I found myself sitting near a girl on a bus once who smelled nice, but I don't think it was a perfume, I think it was some kind of natural oil, because she really did smell exactly like I was sniffing a lovely rose bloom (unlike most so-called 'rose' scents which are vile).

pschristmas
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 3:48 pm

I don't like heavy perfumes and tend to be able to smell things more acutely than those around me, so perfume that might not bother the other people in the room will have me choking, more from the intensity than from the scent. Some scented candles are nice, but usually I don't have to burn them to smell the scent in a room.

However, I can't stand the smell of most room fresheners. My daughter likes the little plug-in oil room fresheners and they just make me gag. The spray ones are worse.

Michael_Stuart
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 4:04 pm

For the past year or so I've been pretty much unable to smell anything, or so it would seem. If I sniff, I only get minor scents. If I enter a room which everyone says stinks, I'll just shrug. (Actually, the room in question had an old-room smell to it, which I kind of liked)

Up close perfume does annoy me to no end, though. Smells terrible. The smell I hate most is mint: It's not so much the smell that I hate, as the feeling of a breath of mint. It's like it's burning through the skin on my face.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 7:33 pm

Those disgusting perfume samples they have in magazines.

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 8:40 pm

I think some perfumes are simply too much--- especially when you go through the part of the department stor where they have a bunch of scents all mixed together. And some cleaners are not only yucky smelling, but they are bad to breathe in for extended periods.

Sati
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 9:08 pm

I like oils, incense, scented candles, and some perfume - but I dislike most perfume and cleaning products. Any checmially smells bother me, especially if they're strong.