Are you proud of being on the spectrum?

Page 3 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 6:49 am

Uhura wrote:
Oh and kerosene on the fire? My idiom book doesn't have that one and I am not good with idioms. Will someone here interepret?

Kerosene is jet fuel, if you throw some on a fire you'll get a lot of flame. As a metaphor (first time I've seen it), I read it as meaning "to add something very controversial to the debate."

The year is still young.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Oct 2009, 7:06 am

Thank you Nightsun---I enjoyed your post on pride in being autistic. In my opinion you have a great outlook on autism and in the things that it can give us.

Pride is always something that causes debate. In school you are supposed to have pride in your school and its athletics/programs/etc. Then you read that pride is a bad thing (I have heard that in church a lot). So it's like you are cursed either way with it. If you are not proud, then some people think you have low self-esteem. Then, if you have pride, some people think you are arrogant.

So let me clarify my pride in my autism---it's very simple:

I am happy with myself, and I find happiness when others enjoy what I like and do. That is my pride. So I am not boasting, but rather saying I am happy with myself and would not want changed.

Krasher---I have been thinking a lot about you and your journey toward finding things to make your life better. I trust you will find them.

Last edited by glider18 on 07 Oct 2009, 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2009, 7:33 am

By the way putting kerosene on fire is a metaphore used to mean that if you are starting a "flame" (an arsh conversation) other people are meant to try to calm you down instead of adding fact/ideas to keep the "flame" going.

Horse
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Oct 2009, 3:11 pm

Winternight wrote:
In all honesty, what's there to be proud of? Nothing.

If anything, I'm proud that I was able to overcome at least some of the setbacks of AS. Beyond that, no. Not at all.

I didn't earn or do anything to be Irish but I'm still proud of it.

Horse
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Oct 2009, 3:25 pm

Nightsun wrote:
By the way putting kerosene on fire is a metaphore used to mean that if you are starting a "flame" (an arsh conversation) other people are meant to try to calm you down instead of adding fact/ideas to keep the "flame" going.

Really? I use it to mean instead of quelling something (putting water on the fire) it intensifies it.

Uhura
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Oct 2009, 8:43 am

Ok, I sort of get it. It basically says you can't be proud of something that others will think is shameful because they will assume you are looking for comfort. Is that right?

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 2:24 pm

Yes i am because i have a good memory for train routes and road maps which most of my family who are NTs are useless in that department also im well respected in the railway industry for me its a blessing there are people who have far more servere problems then myself.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 3:15 pm

Not at all

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 3:58 pm

I'm not proud of my autism. Not ashamed either.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2009, 5:00 pm

I'm quite content with being someone on the autistic spectrum as, I'd rather not be any different from the way I am as a person and all..Honestly, I could not see the day when all of my inherent autistic traits were no more for, that would be quite unpleasant to me.Anyways, I've found that this world can sometimes be cruel and all but, I've learned to navigate some of the potholes of life you could say though, it's an ongoing journey through life this will always be however, I continue to remain optimistic despite past setbacks and all.. :)

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 7:09 am

No. It makes no sense to be proud of something that you had nothing to do with. It would be like me being proud I'm 5'11. I am proud of the things I have accomplished by using my positive Asperger traits, and the things I have overcome despite the negative Asperger traits, but not of the Asperger's itself.

CerebralDreamer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 7:40 am

I'm proud of the unique gifts I have because of Aspeger's Syndrome. There are obvious difficulties that have to be overcome, but when/if you start developing the gifts, you'll notice there's a lot to them. The gifts for me are enough to consider the negatives of AS negligible.

I wouldn't change who I am for anything, and I would rather die before I thought the way 'normal people' do.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Oct 2009, 9:05 am

CerebralDreamer wrote:
I'm proud of the unique gifts I have because of Aspeger's Syndrome. There are obvious difficulties that have to be overcome, but when/if you start developing the gifts, you'll notice there's a lot to them. The gifts for me are enough to consider the negatives of AS negligible.

I wouldn't change who I am for anything, and I would rather die before I thought the way 'normal people' do.

This is very well put in my opinion. I couldn't have said it better.

jelibean
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 12:20 pm

Horse wrote:
I often hear people try and reassure me that its okay to be autistic and crap like that. My mother especially. They don't seem to believe me when I tell them I'm proud of the fact I'm autistic. I've always been proud of the way I am but when I was diagnosed as autistic that threw kerosene on the fire. This is one label I'll gladly accept. What about all you? Are you proud of having the label "autistic"?

Like others here I too am VERY proud to be a 'Jelibean', we call EVERYONE that on the spectrum. It is less scary and far more friendly.

It has taken me 47yrs to be comfortable in my own skin, all that time to discover who I am, what my gifts and talents are and where my weakness are. I do not classify myself as 'disabled', 'disordered' or deficient...I am me, just 'different'. I know what I can do well and what I struggle with.....for my struggles I have great friends who are aware of it too and help me out when I need it...in turn I can help them in many ways that a 'neurotypical' or 'marshmallow (we call them marshmallows!!) may struggle with.

My two youngest children who have benefitted hugely from 'jelibean' methods too are immensely proud of who they are and what they acheive.

Check out my 14yr old Aspie son who only picked up a guitar 18mths ago....we now discover his is savant! But had we not looked hard enough...who knows!

So YES we LOVE IT!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-Cx9-wlb-A

ATwistedLogic
Raven
Raven

23 Apr 2012, 1:17 am

I've been through a lot of emotional pain due to my autism, but I stuck through it and I'm a stronger person because of it, so yes I am proud of being autistic :)

piroflip
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Apr 2012, 1:57 am

NO!! !! !! !! !