Special interests and over whelming negative thoughts

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Sep 2017, 6:12 am

Art is my interest I've managed to turn it into a job. It comes with a price as I can only paint things I'm interested in. If I paint something that isn't highly detailed or is something my brain isn't interested in it becomes really stressful,and can be distressing. Negative thoughts start overwhelming me to a point where I have to stop. I try telling people I can't paint things that aren't detailed or I'm not interested in but it seems they think it's a boredom thing or I'm being lazy when it's not. I really want to be able to paint anything but I can't. Is there a neurological/chemical basis for this,what is it? The world goes away when I paint,and even when my mental health is poor if I'm doing something of interest it acts as a distraction and is more therapeutic than usual. Do you have similar issues. Can someone explain in the correct terminology why this is.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 1:35 pm

TheAvenger161173 wrote:
The world goes away when I paint,and even when my mental health is poor if I'm doing something of interest it acts as a distraction and is more therapeutic than usual.

I think that is called "flow."

I think it's normal for artists to be capable of or interested in painting only certain types of things, but if it makes you unusually upset and you are autistic, maybe painting is a "rigid" interest of yours (as psychologists refer to it) or maybe you perseverate on painting the same sort of thing. Maybe you just aren't ready to move on from something that you find therapeutic.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 6:57 am

Actually, you found a job with some similarities to your interest, but close only counts in horseshoes and shotguns. To get paid for doing what you like, you need an art dealer. To work as a commercial artist, you might be able to trick yourself into doing "preliminary studies."

Freelancing can be weird - Alexander King once did a painting of a whole ballroom to feature a product. The art director asked him to turn all the dancers a bit to the left. Alex tore up his painting and stormed out, but one of the flunkies caught up to him at the elevator to give a young man some advice. Grabbing a shard from the trash, he said "See this hand? You should have painted a big, hairy man's hand there."

"But that's a woman's hand!" Alex protested.

"Yes, and it would have given the Art Director something to criticize to earn his salary, and it would have taken you five minutes to fix."

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Sep 2017, 8:58 am

Dear_one wrote:
Actually, you found a job with some similarities to your interest, but close only counts in horseshoes and shotguns. To get paid for doing what you like, you need an art dealer. To work as a commercial artist, you might be able to trick yourself into doing "preliminary studies."

Freelancing can be weird - Alexander King once did a painting of a whole ballroom to feature a product. The art director asked him to turn all the dancers a bit to the left. Alex tore up his painting and stormed out, but one of the flunkies caught up to him at the elevator to give a young man some advice. Grabbing a shard from the trash, he said "See this hand? You should have painted a big, hairy man's hand there."

"But that's a woman's hand!" Alex protested.

"Yes, and it would have given the Art Director something to criticize to earn his salary, and it would have taken you five minutes to fix."

Interesting story, good advice indeed. trick myself into preliminary studies?? could you explain? I can paint things that people like if I'm interested in it. but if someone says heres lots of money paint what I'm interested in, then it seems its not happening. I liked the term close only counts in in horseshoes and shot guns. ha ha Your definitely right I took a job that has some facets that are similar to my interest...but not my interest. Wise words

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Sep 2017, 9:02 am

starkid wrote:
TheAvenger161173 wrote:
The world goes away when I paint,and even when my mental health is poor if I'm doing something of interest it acts as a distraction and is more therapeutic than usual.

I think that is called "flow."

I think it's normal for artists to be capable of or interested in painting only certain types of things, but if it makes you unusually upset and you are autistic, maybe painting is a "rigid" interest of yours (as psychologists refer to it) or maybe you perseverate on painting the same sort of thing. Maybe you just aren't ready to move on from something that you find therapeutic.

Putting your post and the other comment the combination of them seem to have given me a bit more clarity. Painting certain things is my interest, and aspects involved in art. But not all aspects and not all subjects. It may be part of a narrow interest?

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 12:28 pm

TheAvenger161173 wrote:
trick myself into preliminary studies?? could you explain? I can paint things that people like if I'm interested in it. but if someone says heres lots of money paint what I'm interested in, then it seems its not happening. I liked the term close only counts in in horseshoes and shot guns. ha ha Your definitely right I took a job that has some facets that are similar to my interest...but not my interest. Wise words

If you are like some savants, and just start from one corner of the canvas with full detail, this won't help, but if you paint your backgrounds first, maybe you could just stop when you feel about 1/4 finished. Another trick might be to use a tiny canvas with your usual level of detail, and enlarge it. The odd topics might get handled as exercises in how to depict difficult subjects. They might take some careful observation, though. Many commercial artists and cartoonists get details wrong. OTOH, the pictures of steam engines in children's books average better at boiler/cylinder sizes than the discussions of amateur engineers coming from a different tradition. Artists copy each other better than they observe the world around them, now devoid of steam engines.

Trickpants
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Sep 2017, 1:09 pm

This is really interesting to me, because I was going to post something similar. I have no knowledge of art (although I wish!) ... But I have some specific and special interests, that brings me a lot of joy, and a lot of heartache. So I thought I'd share this with you.

First off: I have no idea if I have Asperger's. My psychiatrist and psychologist have only just recently asked me to look into it. I don't feel like the 'symptoms' of Asperger's fit me, but they're asking me to talk to people anyway.

Especially regarding these special interests, and the negative thoughts. I have been diagnosed with clinical depression last year, but I'm aware that I've had it for at least 3 years or more. I was getting better on medicine, but I have a problem that keeps dragging me back into my depression - or even worse, starts it all over.

My special interest (more like obsession) is stories. Movies, TV-shows, books, games - anything with a good story, I can become completely enraptured by, to the point where I do nothing but think of this thing for months.

I know that a lot of people do that - it's common with "fandoms", and believe me, I've already been to every forum possible, talked to every fan of the series I like and much more.

I know that it's common for people to become upset and sad when their favorite TV-series end. It's a normal process. But I feel it a lot different - a lot stronger perhaps.

When a TV-series end for me, I fall into a depression. A real depression - not just sadness.
When a series end, I won't be able to think of anything else for months. From anywhere between 3 to 6 months (or even more) I feel nothing but that sadness. I really try to think of other things - but everything in the world will remind me of this feeling.

I can't explain it that well - the only way I can describe it, is as though you lost someone important to you. A friend, a family member - The grief you feel is what I feel when a series stop.

It's silly, because I love series so much. I have no idea why I feel this way? And I know there's a difference between what I feel, and what other people normally feel when a series end. I can tell ... Because they can listen to music that reminds them of this series, with nostalgia. I can't ... Because it pushes me back into this depression.

I have looked everywhere for someone who feels the same way - either about stories, or about their own special interests. I haven't found anyone. I don't know if what you have is the same - but as soon as I read "special interests" and "over-whelming negative thoughts", I just had to share.

I hope some of the awesome suggestions from others here helps you though!

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 1:20 pm

Trickpants wrote:
My special interest (more like obsession) is stories. Movies, TV-shows, books, games - anything with a good story, I can become completely enraptured by, to the point where I do nothing but think of this thing for months.
When a TV-series end for me, I fall into a depression. A real depression - not just sadness.
When a series end, I won't be able to think of anything else for months. From anywhere between 3 to 6 months (or even more) I feel nothing but that sadness. I really try to think of other things - but everything in the world will remind me of this feeling.

If you follow the news instead of fiction, the story never ends, just some characters. You are living through times that will be written in the rocks - so don't settle for celebrity gossip as "news," either.

Trickpants
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Sep 2017, 1:33 pm

Dear_one wrote:
If you follow the news instead of fiction, the story never ends, just some characters. You are living through times that will be written in the rocks - so don't settle for celebrity gossip as "news," either.

I'm not sure I understand - you mean that the real world can be viewed as one big story, and people are characters?

In that case, I agree. One of the things I do, is that I compare fictional characters to people I know. I can see personality traits in my friends that reminds me of characters in a TV-series I've watched.
As an example: Dr. House from the series "House" is a lot like my best friend. Same dry humor, cynical sarcasm and quick wit. Not a doctor, but he is incredibly knowledgable in the things he is into.

But people that I don't talk to, I don't associate with these things. They can remind me of the series itself, but they don't give me the happiness that I feel when listening to a story. The news - or even celebrity gossip as you mention as being fake - is 'just' real life to me.

And real life doesn't bring me the happiness that stories do. It can bring me the same sadness, but that's indirectly because of the stories.

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 1:38 pm

Might it be test anxiety?

"Test anxiety is a combination of physiological over-arousal, tension and somatic symptoms, along with worry, dread, fear of failure, and catastrophizing, that occur before or during test situations. It is a physiological condition in which people experience extreme stress, anxiety, and discomfort during and/or before taking a test. This anxiety creates significant barriers to learning and performance." -wikipedia.org

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Sep 2017, 2:16 pm

Dear_one wrote:
TheAvenger161173 wrote:
trick myself into preliminary studies?? could you explain? I can paint things that people like if I'm interested in it. but if someone says heres lots of money paint what I'm interested in, then it seems its not happening. I liked the term close only counts in in horseshoes and shot guns. ha ha Your definitely right I took a job that has some facets that are similar to my interest...but not my interest. Wise words

If you are like some savants, and just start from one corner of the canvas with full detail, this won't help, but if you paint your backgrounds first, maybe you could just stop when you feel about 1/4 finished. Another trick might be to use a tiny canvas with your usual level of detail, and enlarge it. The odd topics might get handled as exercises in how to depict difficult subjects. They might take some careful observation, though. Many commercial artists and cartoonists get details wrong. OTOH, the pictures of steam engines in children's books average better at boiler/cylinder sizes than the discussions of amateur engineers coming from a different tradition. Artists copy each other better than they observe the world around them, now devoid of steam engines.
really interesting and insightful :)

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 2:18 pm

Trickpants wrote:
Dear_one wrote:

I'm not sure I understand - you mean that the real world can be viewed as one big story, and people are characters?

In that case, I agree. One of the things I do, is that I compare fictional characters to people I know. I can see personality traits in my friends that reminds me of characters in a TV-series I've watched.
As an example: Dr. House from the series "House" is a lot like my best friend. Same dry humor, cynical sarcasm and quick wit. Not a doctor, but he is incredibly knowledgable in the things he is into.

But people that I don't talk to, I don't associate with these things. They can remind me of the series itself, but they don't give me the happiness that I feel when listening to a story. The news - or even celebrity gossip as you mention as being fake - is 'just' real life to me.

And real life doesn't bring me the happiness that stories do. It can bring me the same sadness, but that's indirectly because of the stories.

A "story" is to real life as a park is to wilderness. It is nice to visit, but it isn't real life, so there is a tragedy anyway in the end. I'd recommend reading Jerry Mander's "Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television" and taking his advice. I've never owned one. Storybooks have been plenty absorbing enough when I needed them.

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Sep 2017, 2:24 pm

Trickpants wrote:
This is really interesting to me, because I was going to post something similar. I have no knowledge of art (although I wish!) ... But I have some specific and special interests, that brings me a lot of joy, and a lot of heartache. So I thought I'd share this with you.

First off: I have no idea if I have Asperger's. My psychiatrist and psychologist have only just recently asked me to look into it. I don't feel like the 'symptoms' of Asperger's fit me, but they're asking me to talk to people anyway.

Especially regarding these special interests, and the negative thoughts. I have been diagnosed with clinical depression last year, but I'm aware that I've had it for at least 3 years or more. I was getting better on medicine, but I have a problem that keeps dragging me back into my depression - or even worse, starts it all over.

I know that a lot of people do that - it's common with "fandoms", and believe me, I've already been to every forum possible, talked to every fan of the series I like and much more.

I know that it's common for people to become upset and sad when their favorite TV-series end. It's a normal process. But I feel it a lot different - a lot stronger perhaps.

I can't explain it that well - the only way I can describe it, is as though you lost someone important to you. A friend, a family member - The grief you feel is what I feel when a series stop.

It's silly, because I love series so much. I have no idea why I feel this way? And I know there's a difference between what I feel, and what other people normally feel when a series end. I can tell ... Because they can listen to music that reminds them of this series, with nostalgia. I can't ... Because it pushes me back into this depression.

I have looked everywhere for someone who feels the same way - either about stories, or about their own special interests. I haven't found anyone. I don't know if what you have is the same - but as soon as I read "special interests" and "over-whelming negative thoughts", I just had to share.

I think that's what separates a special interest from a normal interest. The intensity. "Normal" people have "normal" reactions to there interests. (Obv some exceptions). If I had to stop doing art my world would crumble. It's all I think about. Have you always been this way?

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Sep 2017, 2:35 pm

hobojungle wrote:
Might it be test anxiety?

"Test anxiety is a combination of physiological over-arousal, tension and somatic symptoms, along with worry, dread, fear of failure, and catastrophizing, that occur before or during test situations. It is a physiological condition in which people experience extreme stress, anxiety, and discomfort during and/or before taking a test. This anxiety creates significant barriers to learning and performance." -wikipedia.org

I have a lot of anxiety. Generalised,social,and some more in all kinds of situations. I do perform badly in stressful scenarios. I don't think it is this in this case because if it was painting something I was interested in in the same situation then I could do it and have done previously.

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 3:06 pm

What do your negative thoughts say when you attempt to draw something that doesn't interest you? I've found it helpful to write down my negative thoughts. It helps take away a bit of their power over me. It's work in progress.

Trickpants
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Sep 2017, 3:39 pm

TheAvenger161173 wrote:
I think that's what separates a special interest from a normal interest. The intensity. "Normal" people have "normal" reactions to there interests. (Obv some exceptions). If I had to stop doing art my world would crumble. It's all I think about. Have you always been this way?

As far back as I can remember, I've been like this, yeah. I remember when I was 5 years old - I was watching "Watership Down" (the TV-series) with my sister. There was a particularly intense episode on, and when it ended on a cliff-hanger, I was completely distraught. My mom couldn't comfort me, and I felt terrible the whole week, until the next episode came on.

I remember other stories, where I felt the same - Harry Potter, Redwall, Spyro-games, Silver-Fang ... So many things made me feel this way, and it's always been there. It's only in the last couple of years it's gotten really bad, but I remember it ever since childhood.

It's been pretty harsh to live with lately, since it's one of the only things I've ever found true joy in. And as of late, I can barely feel that, without being reminded of the sorrow I feel when the series will inevitable end.

Have you ever felt your art was too intense to work on? Like it was something too grand for you to express it in a proper way - and when trying to explain this to people, you didn't really have the words for it?

It's how my negative thoughts mostly manifest. That there's some beauty in the story that I can't describe; a feeling too intense to share with others, because I know they can't really feel it the same way I do. This is half of what brings out the sorrow and pain.