diagnosis confirmed by neuropsychologist

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2009, 3:53 pm

neuropsychologist finished reviewing my case and confirmed dx of aspergers, PTSD, anxiety disorder. no cognitive impairment.

pretty much what I expected but I still felt compelled to debate the findings (I kept a lid on it, though).

I was a bit confused to find that my sensory issues aren't being considered as part of neurological impairment. the doc said the problems could be caused by PTSD and since my history is so complicated I should work it out with my therapist. to me that means my sensory issues could get better if I stay in treatment for PTSD.

she also gave me recommendations on what types of jobs to look for. I'm not sure such jobs exist but at least I can take it to the voc rehab office and find out if it's even worth it to try.

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2009, 4:12 pm

Sounds good for you. Hope this gos well for you.

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2009, 4:19 pm

thanks. for some reason it feels weird at the moment but I think it will work out.

dustintorch
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2009, 5:50 pm

what kind of jobs did she say?

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2009, 6:57 pm

Good luck with finding a job. :thumright:

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2009, 7:57 pm

dustintorch wrote:
she said I need something intellectually stimulating with clear and structured expectations (i.e. tasks, deadlines) but flexible hours and little to no supervision.

I told her I felt that I wasn't likely to find all of that but it's a nice dream :)

I really love law and public policy of a specific type, and I want to get a paralegal certification so I can get a job doing what interests me, but I'm afraid of not being able to keep up the pace because of fatigue issues and sensory overload. I think I'll look into it anyway to see if it might work out.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2009, 8:06 pm

bhetti wrote:
dustintorch wrote:
she said I need something intellectually stimulating with clear and structured expectations (i.e. tasks, deadlines) but flexible hours and little to no supervision.

I told her I felt that I wasn't likely to find all of that but it's a nice dream :)

If the paralegal challenge does not work out, maybe you could try looking for a company with a large warehouse and lots of inventory needing continual monitoring and updating. I used to drive a forklift in a place like that, and there were people there with job descriptions virtually identical to what you have described!

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2009, 8:33 pm

leejosepho wrote:
bhetti wrote:
dustintorch wrote:

If the paralegal challenge does not work out, maybe you could try looking for a company with a large warehouse and lots of inventory needing continual monitoring and updating. I used to drive a forklift in a place like that, and there were people there with job descriptions virtually identical to what you have described!
dude, I would be so down with driving a forklift! but I probably wouldn't get to do that if I was working in inventory control. do you remember what their job titles were?

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2009, 8:40 pm

Have you thought about training for medical transcription through the OVR? That seems to fit what you're looking for in a job.

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2009, 8:48 pm

SuperTrouper wrote:
Have you thought about training for medical transcription through the OVR? That seems to fit what you're looking for in a job.
no, I hadn't thought of that. medical stuff is interesting though, and I have tons of computer experience. thanks for the suggestion.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2009, 10:23 pm

bhetti wrote:
dude, I would be so down with driving a forklift! but I probably wouldn't get to do that if I was working in inventory control. do you remember what their job titles were?

I do not know their specific titles, but "Inventory Control" makes sense. But if you think you could get it on with a forklift, be sure to know there are plenty of women getting that job done! In fact, there was one who could almost run circles around me.

The place I worked was a big place with an international reach, and my supervisor was a female Warehouse Manager that had begun as a temporary forklift driver just 10 years earlier. She was as sweet as could be yet tougher than a bucket of nails, and everybody in the place looked up when she walked by!

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2009, 11:32 pm

bhetti wrote:
dustintorch wrote:

I really love law and public policy of a specific type, and I want to get a paralegal certification so I can get a job doing what interests me, but I'm afraid of not being able to keep up the pace because of fatigue issues and sensory overload. I think I'll look into it anyway to see if it might work out.

I am currently in my second year of paralegal studies...It is a great job for someone on the spectrum since there is little supervison, one can work at their own pace, it is structured in regards to deadlines and you have structured precedents to help you out when drafting the documents... such as a statement of claim, notice of motion, etc...You also have structure in regards to following the rules of court and the whole legal process.I find litigation, personal injury law, and criminal law to be the most stimulating.

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 3:32 am

Congratulation Bhetti! I think that now you have the diagnosis it will be helpful because professionals will be able to work with you on issues you are wanting help with.. that is why I am also seeking one. I think you will feel a bit better soon, probably it is a bit dazing to get the diagnosis at first.

Taking a break.

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 9:13 pm

Tory_canuck wrote:
bhetti wrote:
dustintorch wrote:

I am currently in my second year of paralegal studies...It is a great job for someone on the spectrum since there is little supervison, one can work at their own pace, it is structured in regards to deadlines and you have structured precedents to help you out when drafting the documents... such as a statement of claim, notice of motion, etc...You also have structure in regards to following the rules of court and the whole legal process.I find litigation, personal injury law, and criminal law to be the most stimulating.
thanks for sharing that with me. I am very interested in state and federal policy on family, and it would be an amazing thing to work in it if I could. I've written a paper on a specific section of my state's administrative rules and submitted it to the policy department after talking to them on the phone until they realized I was right. my lawyer thinks I shouldn't become a paralegal because I don't like liars, but I like case law and administrative rules and OMG someone stop me because I'm going to go on a tangent!

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 9:16 pm

zen_mistress wrote:
Congratulation Bhetti! I think that now you have the diagnosis it will be helpful because professionals will be able to work with you on issues you are wanting help with.. that is why I am also seeking one. I think you will feel a bit better soon, probably it is a bit dazing to get the diagnosis at first.
thank you! that is one of the reasons I went for it. I want expectations of me (from both myself and others) to be reasonable. I feel better about it today, just because the neuropsychologist didn't tell me anything I didn't already know but now I feel like I can start moving forward instead of getting stuck trying to fix something that wasn't actually broken.

BornToDie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Nov 2009, 9:29 pm

i just got done with a neuropsych exam but for other reasons than getting a dx for aspergers. as a result, when i asked about aspergers she passed it off saying - as we often hear - my case was very complex and i should see a regular psychologist to explore the aspergers possibility. i thought is was neuropsychs who made the dx for aspergers.

she said in her report it was "likely" i am PPD-NOS/NLD.

let's see. impaired spatial perception, hyperacusis, tinnitius, photophobia, photic sneeze reflex, deficient social skills, poor perception of guestures, body language, and tone.

i might possibly have some condition or other.

i'm glad it is the insurance company paying the $2K for that report.