Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ScottF
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 11:29 am

For some reason, my neighborhood is in the flight path of the nearby Army helicopter unit. They fly low enough to see the whites of their eyes. We are not talking one or two at a time. I have seen flights of 5 or six helicopters at a time. Apaches, Cobras, Chinooks, Black Hawks, you name it... I have learned to tune all but the most window rattling flyovers... but it does get annoying...

ScottF
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 11:59 am

Anyone?

BruceCM
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 12:08 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that would drive me crazy! If it's quite often. Where my parents live, they occasionally get RAF low-flyers but not very often. Here, I get some planes on their way to the nearest airport but they're not very frequent, nor as low as you talk about. :)

Tacobean
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Nov 2009, 12:09 pm

We live on fighter jet flight path and sometimes get up to ten sonic booms a day. I find it quite difficult to tune them out and would have bigger issues with helicopters I think. The only time we get them down low here is when someone in the town is in need of urgent help, or it's some rich guy showing off. Either way, they are pretty rare in comparison to the booms and I can't tune either out.

Hope that helps :)

ScottF
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 12:14 pm

I have tried calling the FAA before, but they did not or could not do anything about it

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 1:05 pm

:lmao: Sorry - its not you - its that damned automated banner ad machine. I read your post and scroll down the thread and at the bottom of the page is an ad featuring a huge helicopter...too funny...

When I was in high school we rented a house for a couple years that was right next to a train track that ran between two switching yards - the track was literally up against our back fence, about fifteen yards from my bedroom window. It surprised me how fast I got used to the racket. Within a few days, I was sleeping right through it. In fact, if it got quiet for too long, the silence would wake me up - maybe my subconscious got used to the timing and expected the noises at certain points in the night, I don't know.

The choppers might be a whole different animal, since there's really no predicting when they're going to come through. I don't know if I would ever get used to that.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 1:26 pm

eh, I don't mind aircraft flying over. We get the occasional copter or jet, as Westjet loves to use this area occasionally as a flight path to swing around and land in Victoria airport. I like the sound, so it's not a big deal for me.

Vyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 1:35 pm

I live on an AF base with more flights than almost any other base and with more variations of fighters and heavies as well. It sucks absolute balls. The fighters are the worst, the flyboys love setting off car alarms with the booms at about 100 feet high. Luckily, I work in a basement so the worst of the noise is blocked but sweet Gaia it sucks to walk outside at the wrong times. Feels like my eardrums are getting blown out with C4 or something.

Whirlybirds aren't too bad, even flying low. Loud and obnoxious yes, but at the least noise isn't loud enough to be painful. Try an F-35, the thing is the loudest bird out there and of course we got the first new squadron of them in the AF. Truly sucks.

I am Jon Stewart with some Colbert cynicism, Thomas Edison's curiousity, wrapped around a hardcore gamer sprinkled very liberally with Deadpool, and finished off with an almost Poison Ivy-esque love/hate relationship with humanity flourish.

FaithHopeCheese
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 1:36 pm

Yes, that would bother me, but not because of the noise factor. I have noticed a lot more military helicopters flying around in the past year, but perhaps I'm just paranoid about living in a police state... :?

LivingOutsideTheBox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Nov 2009, 1:43 pm

At first I'd find it really cool.

Then I'd be scared.(After, say, 3 days)

Then after a month I'd get annoyed.

And I'd stay annoyed until I got used to it(1 year). By which time visitors would be spooked, and I wouldn't, and kids in my garden would go "Whoa, coooool!" And I'd go.."Yeah, kinda. *Grin*"

...Don't worry. In due time it'll be okay.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 2:37 pm

I hate them too.

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 3:48 pm

The noise could definitely become annoying.

It has to happen though, they gotta fly somewhere and with growth of the amount of landscape taken over by housing areas, there's not going to be many places they could fly over no one.

I'm not surprised the FAA doesn't do a whole lot about it, the choppers have to fly somewhere getting between point A and point B.
Until they can fly through the Stargate or Scotty can beam them over, it will happen.
Which doesn't make it any less annoying.

:arrow: question is, how old is the flight path from the base?
and
:arrow: how old is the neighborhood in relation to that?

ScottF
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 4:40 pm

LivingOutsideTheBox wrote:
At first I'd find it really cool.

Then I'd be scared.(After, say, 3 days)

Then after a month I'd get annoyed.

And I'd stay annoyed until I got used to it(1 year). By which time visitors would be spooked, and I wouldn't, and kids in my garden would go "Whoa, coooool!" And I'd go.."Yeah, kinda. *Grin*"

...Don't worry. In due time it'll be okay.

Whats annoying is, there is no set time of year when it happens. Two years ago, it was happening all spring and summer, a year ago it happened 5 times, this year, just today. It's fine once in a while as I think the choppers are actually kinda cool to look at, but when it rattles my windows... ugh...

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 5:06 pm

I might be able to tolerate it on the first day, but eventually it would get annoying. Once in a while is okay, but constantly.... no!

SpongeBobRocksMao!

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 5:29 pm

The sound itself doesn't usually bother me, although when it's really really loud sometimes it's.. a lot. But I'm pretty used to it, and it's not like it's constant, so it doesn't bother me that much. And the airfield closes at 10, so it's not like it's happening while I'm trying to sleep.

Not nearly as bad as, say, a squeaky mouse wheel!

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 5:38 pm

I could not deal with that, full stop.
I find most noise very intrusive, especially in my own home, which I like to think of as a haven and a place I can retreat to to think and to be in silence.
I would have to move in that sort of situation or I would literally go insane... tho I am fairly sure I am insane already anyways.